Author Topic: Adelaide gal, had to settle for a TC. But looking forward to the journey.  (Read 14658 times)

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
Hi all,

Well where to begin. I just wrote a big long explanation of me and went to another page to copy a recipe I'd typed out for a friend and when I came back my message was lost. :-(

Long story short.
Have wanted a TMX for over 12 mths. My beste has one and loves it. She's a real 'sweets' baker and hubby doesn't see me as the same type of cook as her and couldn't see the value.

Anyway, 12 mths down the track, and although he still wasn't convinced I needed anything at all (cause there's nothing you can do in them you can't already do in the kitchen in his eyes), wrapped up under the tree is a TC with a spare bowl.

I'm excited by the prospect of another set of hands in the kitchen... I want to make my stock and butter and all the mother things I did with multiple appliances in the one! (without having to pull the others in and out of the cupboard all the time).

I'm from Adelaide, have DS9 DD7 and DS 21mths. I work from home and can't wait for Xmas. Am thrilled you are so accepting, and look forward to some guidance in general.

Here's a recipe I made this week by hand, even the garam masala I had to make up as I realized I was out... Should easily to convert to a thermie of either sort. I forgot how much I loved it, and so did hubby. Left the chilli out till the end for the kids.can't wait to make it more often now. (haven't made it in toooooo long)

Thanks one and all
X

Quick question, some people have questioned me on how manyi could feed, will it (either, this was before ) do my family of 5 for awhile? Like rice and a curry for example?

Chicken in a cashew nut sauce.

2 onions
2tbsp tomato purée
1/2 cup cashews
1 1/2 tsp Garam masala
1 clove of garlic crushed
1 tsp chili powder ( I left this out till after I served the kids) but I love it with a kick.
1 tbsp lemon juice ( I add just over as I love the flavour of the nut/ sour combo, and it's more unique to many Indian curries I find. Very moorish)
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp natural yoghurt
2 tbsp corn oil ( I used sunflower, sure it wouldnt matter)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp sultanas ( I leave these out as I am not a fan of sultanas in curries... Funny I know)
450gm boneless chicken breast cut to pieces
175 gm button mushrooms (I put less as kids aren't a HUGE fan of mushys)
1 1/4 cups water
Another tbsp fresh coriander for garnish

Ok now recipe is simple, just a few ingredients.not sure if I said before but I was actually out of Garam masala so even had to find a recipe for and make that up to get my 1 1/2 tsp lol

1.Cut onions to qtr and place in food processor or blender, process for 1 min (just minced basically so won't take long in thermie.

2.add tomato purée,cashews,Garam masala, garlic, chili, lemon juice,turmeric,salt and yoghurt, and process further 1 1/2 -2 mins

3. Heat oil in saucepan and pour in the spice mixture. Fry for 2 mins over med to low heat.add the coriander, sultanas and chicken, and stir fry mixture for 1 min.

4. Add the mushrooms, pour in the water and bring to a simmer. Cover the saucepan and cook over a low heat for about 10 mins. Check chicken in cooked and sauce is thick enough, and cook longer if necessary.

5. To serve ladle into a serving dish and garnish with more coriander.

ENJOY. I hope you love it. I forgot how much I did, till I made it again. :-) The sauce is the best bit, so it's great with the rice (one of the things I like in general about Indian curries) on its own. I added some green vege to the plates.
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide gal, had to settle for a TC. But looking forward to the journey.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:13:47 am »
Hi Lilli33, welcome to the forum.  It must be hard for you to look at that parcel under the tree and not be able to use it  ;)
Your recipe sounds very tasty - it is interesting to see the chopping times in a food processor compared to what we are all now familiar with in the Thermomix.  We chop for seconds as opposed to minutes the old way.
There are families on here with several children so cooking for 5 is not a problem in the Thermomix and I daresay the TC holds the same quantities.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 10:17:03 am »
This sounds divine. certainly one I will try.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:26:02 am »
Thanks guys. Yes I believe the bowl is also 2L Am assuming the basket is the same. Does it hold 2 cups of rice? Or more, it looks kinda small.

Yes the big boxes underage tree are hard to see... But like anything, it also makes it ore exciting. My birthday is jan, and I had rouse that too (wink wink) so figured I need to have atleastsomething to open and excited about xmas morning. Plus when you've waited this long.... And KNOW what your getting (I like surprises),then I can join the kids inthe countdown. (best bit is we all benefit).

Yes the times must seem huge. This is where the prep time at the very least is cut down! Yay.
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:48:42 am »
Welcome to the forum Lilli33.Have fun Christmas morning cooking with your new machine :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 11:08:45 am »
Lillie33, the basket holds up to 400g of rice (2 cups) which becomes 4 cups when steamed.  For the 2 of us I only need 100g or less but usually cook 300g and freeze the excess.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:14:37 pm »
Greats thanks JD (can I call you that hehehe) . Great cause atm I do 2 cups and it's plenty for us 5. Usually with enough for a left over lunch for hubby or rice with milk n sugar for my daughter. Lol.

Yes, Cornish, hubby has already said, well maybe you can make something to take to mum and dads. (yay, Xmas not here this year, gives me a little more time to play, and less time to worry about the place looking like Xmas morning)...

Am thinking maybe sorbet, and I could do the custard? Want to keep it simple, as I will be very much a virgin thermie chef!  :-))

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:29:45 pm »
Of course you can Lilli.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »
Welcome Lilli.  Bring on Christmas morning I say !!
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 06:43:17 am »
Welcome Lilli. HOw very exciting getting a TC for Christmas. Have you had any sneeky peaks at it? I don't think I could wait.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:45:45 am »
Welcome I'm an Adelaide Hills girl :) Enjoy your themomix :)
Mum to 2 preschoolers and a mobile baby, SA

Offline Songria

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 09:52:44 am »
Hello! I'm a newie and TC user too.  I hope you have a wonderful time creating fabulous dishes for years to come.  ;D
Tasting life, one day at a time.

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 04:19:53 am »
Great to see you here Lilli.  You'll love your new Thermie, I do.  Looking forward to some more of your posts on the forum.  Actually, I am thinking of your Chicken Curry recipe for tomorrow night. 
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 06:02:40 am »
Thanks guys, yes I cahardly wait. I went to a thermomix demo today with a friend, and it inspired me even more, for all those LITTLE things. Especially having never had a food processor.

Is it really still2 weeks to wait???? Oh man!

*keeps researching more tasty delights*
 ;)

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 06:29:34 am »
Try these.
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/