Author Topic: Adelaide gal, had to settle for a TC. But looking forward to the journey.  (Read 16294 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide gal, had to settle for a TC. But looking forward to the journey.
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 10:50:15 pm »
Sounds like you are having fun Lilli - it's great to have a new toy to play with but this is one you will not tire of.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 11:03:55 pm »
Lilli, try some bread.  The best option is to use all the liquid and 1/2 the flour, (Nola'ssuggestion), 2 mins. Kneading,   and then knead in the rest of the flour by hand on the bench(rosie's method). 10 kneads should be enough to get the gluten working.  Let rise double, form into whatever shape, let double then bake.    The TC kneads in a different manner to the TMX,  and all the recipes here have be developed for the TMX.  Start off with a basic recipe such as Isi's Portuguese Rolls or my No Fuss Roll .  Good luck and let us know how you are going.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 11:34:44 pm »
I'm right there achookwoman. I have gone between the recipe in the TC book and your no fuss rolls one. The recipe in the hong kong TC book had 420g flour so I figured it should cope fine, and it did. It seemed to be mixed nicely (I liked your mixing on warm all the wet n yeast first) it is rising now.

When you say 10 kneads, you mean to add the extra right? So I won't need that as its all added. Or do that when I knock it down to work the gluten?

Will see how it goes (hubby wasn't happy with me not using the breadmaker so fingers crossed it works ok) I know the double rise is impt, to get it fluffy, so will knock it down and allow another rise (is that right) before I do my Cobb? ... Just realized it was julieO's Cobb loaf I used...  (have been following the no fuss rolls one and was going to do this) we are having a BBQ and thought a nice big Cobb would be good.
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 04:45:37 am »
Hi Lilli, did I see that you have the Hong Kong cookbook.  That was my Christmas Pressie and I am very happy with it.  Lots of new recipes to try.
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 04:49:46 am »
Lilli it sounds as though you are having tremendous fun.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 09:28:57 am »
Yes Nola, I just have it in PDF. But it is great to have some when you're learning that really do go with the TC. Atleast to help me get my confidence..

The bread worked out nice, although it didn't look as big and round as the piccie. It was cooked through and a nice density. Looked lovely and brown. I only did 27 mins.  Cause it was browning so much, tested with a thermometer and it was over 100 so figured if cakes are cooked at 99 ( think I read that somewhere here) then the bread must be too. It sounded hollow ( I thought) and it was better than I expected.

Will keep trying. Made a quick dip with sundried tomatoes, garlic chives and flat leaf pasty with cream cheese. That was a hit.  :)
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 09:46:27 pm »
Lilli33, I have read this whole thread and it made me smile  :)  absolutely love your enthusiasm and I cannot wait to try your curry recipe.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »
Thanks knittercook, let me knw he you like it.

Have had a busy couple of days, hubby just keeps rolling his eyes at all the times I am grabbing for the TC and using it. Had another family here for dinner tonight and it was no stress which was nice. Fresh spaghetti and the bolognaise sauce, salted caramel And maple syrup icecream and lemon sorbet for dessert.plus some dip.

Poached eggs have been easy and a hit, just simple things like mixing my pancake mix yesterday. And kids don't seem to be able to get enough fruit sorbet... Don't add sugar they say so we can have a huge bowl..... Righteo then, and I did.

Making dip potato salad and heresy bread tomorrow for a new years BBQ... The journey continues. (and I love the way some disasters can be used in other dishes and become superstars) hehehe

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 12:33:16 pm »
Hi Lilli, did I see that you have the Hong Kong cookbook.  That was my Christmas Pressie and I am very happy with it.  Lots of new recipes to try.
I am going to check out this Hong Kong Book I think.
As Lilli says,  It is made for the TC and so even better than further converting the recipes from the TMX.
I seem to be getting good results with most of my own conversions,  My DH loves the bread I am making and I am really enjoying using fresh yeast.  Something I had never used before.
Mmm.  TC has settled in well in this household.
Still haven't tried sorbets.  Maybe tomorrow..  After we have been to the market to stock up on fruit.
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 12:35:04 pm »
great to hear the enthusiasm for the fresh fruit and food. Doesn't matter whether its TM or TC - we're all having fun and sharing the secrets and journey  8)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 12:36:36 pm »
Yeah it's quite good. The lemon sorbet was lovely (and it's always a favorite of mine). I should try and write up the recipe as I looked and didn't see a straight lemon one here, so found one elsewhere and did what I figured would work... And it came out a treat. It was actually a lemon lime, but delicious and cut through the richness of the other nicely.

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:23 pm »
Hi Lilli, I would love that lemon sorbett recipe please.
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:38 am »
Yes please, lemon sorbet recipe would be great  :)
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 01:31:02 am »
If you google 'lemon sorbet thermomix' nola & knittercook, you will find a variety of different recipes.
This is one I have posted on the forum & was made at a cooking demo. It was really nice.
Lilli, would love to see yours too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 02:00:01 am »
Imagi excited, my first ever home made mayo ( I'm not a real mayo fan as it tastes a bit 'fatty' to me) but I needed it for m potato salad dressing, and I'm thrilled with both. Yay!

Loving this journey. Dinner was awesome last night and the new taste sensations my family will enjoy. Promise I'll write up my lemons sorbet later. Just wanted something I could whiz together when I needed it. Prob don't even need to do it the way I did, but it was delicious!