Author Topic: Sinful chocolate coffee mud cake  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Sinful chocolate coffee mud cake
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:19:28 pm »
This cake always gets rave reviews and now I have adapted it for the thermomix.  It worked fine, however other more experienced thermomixers may have better ideas of how to do adapt than me.

* 250g butter, chopped
    * 200g dark chocolate, chopped
    * 2 cups (440g) caster sugar
    * 1 1/3 cups (330ml) water
    * 1 tablespoon dry instant coffee
    * ¾ cup (110g) plain flour
    * ¾ cup (110g) self-raising flour
    * ¼ cup (25g) cocoa powder
    * 3 eggs, beaten lightly

Satin Chocolate Glaze

* 200g dark chocolate, chopped
    * 2/3 cup (160ml) thickened cream
    * silver cachous or dragée cake decorations, optional

Method:

Preheat the oven to slow (150°C).

Grease a deep 19cm square cake pan, then line the base and sides with baking paper.

Combine the butter, chocolate, sugar, water and coffee in the TM jug, 3 or 4 minutes 90C-speed 2 ;  until the butter and chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Add half the combined  cocoa, plain & self-raising flours into the chocolate mixture and mix 30 seconds--speed 4, then repeat with the remaining flour etc.  Add roughly beaten eggs and mix again on speed 4 for 20-30 seconds.

Pour mixture into the prepared pan.

The original recipe states to bake for about 1¾ hours, but I find that 1 to 1 1/4 hours is sufficient in my oven.  The cake should feel "set" in the middle, but if you test with a skewer it will still be sticky.

Cover the cake pan with foil; cool cake in pan.

For the satin chocolate glaze, combine the chocolate and cream in TM bowl, 90C--speed 2 for a few minutes until smooth.
Spread a thin layer of glaze all over the cold cake. Stand remaining glaze at room temperature until thickened slightly, then spread a second over top and sides of cold cake.  Sprinkle the top with the decorations, if desired.

The original recipe comes from here http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Cakes-and-Baking+20/Chocolate-coffee-mud-cake-recipe+484.htm.

I wonder if it is really necessary when using the TM to add the flour in two batches, but haven't been game to try.  I hardly ever make the glaze, usually just dust with icing sugar and maybe top with some berries, but it does look very posh if you do.  Not that it ever happens around here, but the cake is even better after a day or two and can be frozen, uniced very successfully.  Last time I made it, I forgot to add the cocoa and it didn't matter, the cake was just a little gooier.

Incidentally I made this cake again today, replacing the flours with 220g of plain gluten free flour and 1 tsp of gluten free baking powder as a birthday cake for a coeliac friend.  The texture was different, fudgier than normal, but still very delish.

Hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:04:51 am by judydawn »
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sinful chocolate coffee mud cake
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:36:04 am »
Anything that has the title 'sinful' catches my eye. It sounds absolutely delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:27:40 am »
Anything that has the title 'sinful' catches my eye

:) Lol, Cookie!  With so many posts about reducing sugar in cakes, and I myself trying very hard to maintain a healthy diet, any recipe with a whole block of chocolate and 2 cups of sugar in it would appear to be over the top and sinful, yes? 

Having said that, for a special occasion it really is superb and a little goes a long way.  I made it for a special morning tea for a teacher who is retiring and one of my colleagues said she would like to roll in it!

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:34:56 pm »
Lellyj was there a photo of the cake? Bet it looked as good as it sounds.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:59:52 am »
Sounds wonderful Lelly.  With all that chocolate it would be perfect for Easter.  ;D 

Both my dtr and son are coming home for a couple of days over the break so just may make this.  :D

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:01:49 pm »
Twitterpated, I havent' really figured out how to publish photos yet but I will get onto it!  JulieO, I hope your family enjoy it.

Incidentally I made this cake again today, replacing the flours with 220g of plain gluten free flour and 1 tsp of gluten free baking powder as a birthday cake for a coeliac friend.  The texture was different, fudgier than normal, but still very delish.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:12:56 pm »
Totally coincidentally, I copied this from the forum yesterday (I'm afraid I failed to note who posted it - my apologies for that).  It might help:

Add a Photo
While I am at it...  I am going to assume you know how to download photo’s off your camera, and the file/folder that you have saved it in is called Thermomix, and then you will name your photo so you can identify it. In this instance, my photo is called Brazens Bagel

1.   Right click on photo you wish to download to the forum
2.   Select Edit
3.   Click “Compress Pictures”, and then select “Compress for – Web pages”
4.   Click OK and Save
5.   Now back to the TM post where you have been typing…just under the text box you will see written in bold Additional Options…Click
6.   See Attach, click on Browse – and browse your eg. Thermomix file and double click on eg Brazens Bagel
7.   If you have another photo, just next to the Browse button on the right hand side click on (more attachments)
8.   Click Preview if you wish to review your text (no photo will come up tho) before selecting Post

Note: Some computers may be different, I use a PC, and others may add photo's differently but I hope this can be of assistance to someone as we all enjoy seeing photo’s. You can't just download a photo straight off your camera as the size needs to be made smaller for web pages so you don’t have to wait an eternity for it to appear on the web page. Easy peasy  

About 10 minutes after posting this, I also read the following posted by JudyDawn in the Breakfast Smoothie with Linseed Thread:

"I think there is probably a very easy way, but this is what I do.

I open the folder where the photo is currently saved (can even be your camera folder).
I right click on the photo and a menu appears.
I click on the "open with" option.
I then click on the "paint" option and it will open in the paint program (don't worry if it is huge).
I then click on the "image" menu at the top.
I click on the stretch and skew option in the image menu.
In stretch and skew I change the stretch settings to 25% and 25% (and leave the other settings).
I then click on the file menu and click on the "save as" option.
I type a new name for my smaller sized photo.
I find the folder where I want to save my resized photo in the drop down menu (I use "my pictures" folder)
I click on save and then close the paint program.
The smaller sized photo will be saved in the folder I selected and will open in almost every application (not just paint).

It sounds complicated but that's just because I have put in all of the steps (I hope). Hope this helps"

... and immediately after, a modification from Chelsea:

That will make them smaller JD and to put them on the forum you need to click on attachments at the bottom of your post and then you can locate the folder container your photos (does not need to be a web album). When you are writing your next post chdv have a look down the bottom of the screen and you will see the attachment area.,

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:23:21 pm by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.