Author Topic: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese  (Read 181146 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2010, 03:23:02 am »
I wish I could get the firmness like that. I might go and put a batch on now as I have all day at home.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2010, 04:37:35 am »
I have ordered the culture from cheese links, it's enough to make 250 litres  :o  That will keep me going for a while.  :D
Will report back next week after it has arrived and I make some, so hope it sets like Andies.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2010, 03:32:46 pm »
I couldn't use 250 litres of yoghurt in a lifetime JulieO - does the culture just keep in the fridge and not spoil before you use it all  ??? ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ~ - Jules - ~

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2010, 03:47:07 pm »
it says it keeps at least a year in the freezer from memory

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2010, 07:22:41 pm »
Which one did you get, Julie?

My friend uses the C3 and dilutes part of it with plain milk to produce something like kefir - she flavors it with fresh fruits in a blender.

She also uses it a lot in her baking, instead of buttermilk.  She bakes for a neighbor who runs a B&B in Mt. Dandenong, and also makes frozen yogurt to be served in a bowl and made into popsicles or frozen pops.  (Do you call them popsicles in Australia?)

Popsicle molds

So there are lots of ways to use yogurt, besides the usual.  I use a great deal - I make at least one two-liter batch each week, usually more - this week it is just Thursday and I have another batch working right now and will probably make another batch on Sunday because this batch will mostly be used up on Saturday.

I also use a cup or so every week, along with raw rolled oats, for an exfoliating and soothing facial and skin scrub.  Very good for the skin after exposure to sun and wind. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2010, 12:41:59 am »
Yes, it's the C one, here's the link. Thanks for your ideas Andi.  :)

Judy, it will keep in the freezer for at least 12 months, I think it's in a powder/grain form so will be easy to scoop out as much as is needed each time.  It will be like keeping dried yeast in the freezer, it doesn't actually freeze, the grains stay loose.

It's been posted so should receive early next week which is good as I've only got a bit left.  :)

http://shop.cheeselinks.com.au/Cheese-and-Yoghurt-Starters-Mould-Spores-and-Aroma-Cultures/Type-C-aBY-Yoghurt-Starter-p37.html

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2010, 03:19:27 pm »
I will be really interested to see how it goes JO  :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2010, 04:52:18 am »
I received the culture this morning and I have made 1 litre which is now in the incubator.  Will check it before going to bed tonight as I want to leave it for 12 hours, so will report back in the morning of my results.  I'm so hoping it's as nice and thick as Andies.  ;D

My thoughts so far.  The amount of grains received don't look anywhere near enough for 250 litres, but I could be wrong.  You need to use 1/10 tsp for each litre of milk.  I don't have that measurement tsp.  I do have 1/8 tsp so used that, but no way could I dip my spoon in 250 times or even 200 times - not enough grains.  Mmmm.  I have emailed cheeselinks to ask if they sell the proper sized measure but as I don't see one advertised anywhere on their site I'm presuming not.  I think it would be a good idea if one came with the packets, makes sense to me.  I know I could guess the amount, but I like to get these things right. 

If anyone knows of where one this size could be purchased, I would be very grateful.  :D

Julie.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2010, 11:22:04 am »
Update  ;D

Just checked the yoghurt after around 7 hours in the incubator and it's looking really good, quite set, but I'm going to leave for another few hours and then refrigerate. Will take a photo in the morning.

I got an answer back from Cheeselinks and they said you don't have to be pedantic about the amount you put in, the lady herself never measures what she puts in, only adds a few grains and it works no problem, so that would explain how you are supposed to be able to get 250 litres from the packet.  So it's looking good.  The grains have been put in the freezer in a sterilized jar and the use-by-date is May 2012.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2010, 01:18:22 pm »
Another success story from the JulieO household   8) 8)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2010, 05:47:33 pm »
Update  ;D

Just checked the yoghurt after around 7 hours in the incubator and it's looking really good, quite set, but I'm going to leave for another few hours and then refrigerate. Will take a photo in the morning.

I got an answer back from Cheeselinks and they said you don't have to be pedantic about the amount you put in, the lady herself never measures what she puts in, only adds a few grains and it works no problem, so that would explain how you are supposed to be able to get 250 litres from the packet.  So it's looking good.  The grains have been put in the freezer in a sterilized jar and the use-by-date is May 2012.  ;D

How it works is that you save back a small amount of the first batch to make the second batch - also save some of whey and mix it with the solids - and you can do this two or three more times, depending on how long you have held it. 
I make a 1/2 gallon (2 liter) batch every three or four days and I always take two or three tablespoons immediately after the batch has finished incubating and put it in a tightly sealed glass container (sterilize it) in the coldest part of the fridge - I add an equal amount of whey when it appears.
I use this starter for the next batch, and so on. 
I do it this way so it won't be contaminated by opening and closing the bigger container and introducing spoons, etc., into it. 

I also get a Bulgarian culture which is lots more tangy - and somewhat more expensive - from the vendor here in the US and I have kept that culture going for ten repeat batches because it is a very vigorous culture.  After the tenth batch the results were not as firm and I started over with a new culture.

The thing is to try it and see how many batches you can get from a single starter. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:51:24 pm by andiesenji »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2010, 02:40:11 am »
Urgh, I did a big long response here, added my photo, posted it, and it disappeared!  Have to do it all again, I should have copied it first  >:(  ;D

Thankyou Andi for taking the trouble to respond to my post.  ;D

I took out a scoop this morning and at first glance it looked a little 'lumpy',as in the photo,  but after swirling through the yoghurt, it all became smooth.  I guess what I did was combine the whey back into the yoghurt?

It's more tangy than what I've made before, but it does taste nice and more yoghurt like if that makes sense.  It will go well in my cooking.  I can't wait until I make another batch only using a few grains to see how it turns out.  At this stage I won't use any of the previous batches to make the next lot simply because I don't go through it as much as you do Andi and if what they say is correct, this should last me quite a while.  I can always start to do so a bit down the track anyway.

With the instructions they say that skim milk powder can be added also if a thicker mixture is required, have you used it and found any difference?

I notice my incubator container is the same as yours, they work well don't they.  Very happy with it.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2010, 03:47:09 am »
Julie, that looks beautiful. 

I love the tangier flavor - some of the commercial ones are much too bland for me but they are aiming for the norm, not a supertaster like me.

I don't use milk powder - I personally can detect the flavor and don't care for it.   I've tried it in the past and was not satisfied but the thing to do is try it, you might like it better.
Do try straining it for yogurt cheese - that is when you really notice the difference.   
You can always add a little sugar or other sweetener to it to balance the tangy flavor - it doesn't take much and you have to stir it in and allow the sugar to dissolve a bit before tasting. 

I have several yogurt makers and sometimes have a couple of batches going at the same time, if I have an immediate use for a lot.
I have one (electric) that holds a gallon, the others are all half-gallon or 2-liter.  Two each, electric and non-electric. 
The containers for two, one each, electric and non, are interchangeable.  That is, the inside containers are exactly the same - the electric one has a larger outer container as it holds water.  The other one is just a plastic foam insulated "jacket".

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2010, 05:23:38 am »
Good work JulieO  That does look good indeed.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 19, 2010, 06:15:20 am »
Thankyou Andi, Thermomixer and Judy.  I was quite chuffed how it turned out.  If you'd have seen me whip the covers off me this morning and jump out of bed saying "got to check my yoghurt" you'd have been amused.  DH wondered what was going on, but I couldn't wait to have a look.  :D

I don't think I would add the milk powder either Andi, want to keep it as 'natural' as I can. I really like the tangier flavour and I must try making the yoghurt cheese and will hunt for the recipe, thanks for reminding me.

I'm really satisfied now and no longer worry whether it will turn out or not.  I guess persistence pays off.  :D