Author Topic: Recipe Review - Tomato and Lentil Dahl EDC p79  (Read 10482 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Recipe Review - Tomato and Lentil Dahl EDC p79
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:02:16 pm »
As others have noted, it needed extra cooking time.  I didn't have limes, so I used lemons.  And I didn't have fresh coriander, so I used ground coriander.

The finished product was nice, but a bit bland for our taste.  So I spiced it up slightly with some Jalapeno pepper sauce, and extra sea salt and pepper.  It was then delicious, both DH and I enjoyed it, served with steamed rice, a dollop of yogurt and plum chutney.

It was runnier than I'm used to with Dahl, more in the direction of soup.  So I cooked the leftovers (lots) with more lentils to thicken it up, then put it into the freezer for future meals.  Hopefully Lentil Dahl freezes well!  ;D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Tomato and Lentil Dahl EDC p79
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:18:44 am »
I made this the other night.  First night it was the consistency of a thick soup.  Second night it had thickened up to a dolloping consistency.  Yummy!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 09:20:58 am »
I find it a bit too thick and a bit too strong in taste. but i don't actaully change anything, i just keep making it the same way and then remembering afterwards lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:19:31 am »
LOL - need some post-it notes.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:41:22 am »
I made this the other night and wish I'd checked in here first.   It really was too liquid and also wasn't cooked in the time specified.   It turned out well in the end and I'd definitely do it again with the following modifications:

1.  I chopped the coriander by hand as I like it to be fairly coarse and it's easy to do by hand
2.  I couldn't see any reason for chopping the carrot separately so chopped it alongside the onion etc.   
3.  I chopped everything for 5 secs at speed 5 - chopping it for longer and faster would have made it too mushy for me
4.  As noted elsewhere there was too much liquid so I would use 200g water next time
5.  I ended up cooking it for longer (maybe 10 more minutes) and also upped the speed as the spoon speed left stuff at the top not mixed in.
6.  Next time I would increase the spices and also add some stock concentrate.

I served it with garlic and coriander naan and stir-fried cabbage with garlic.   It was delicious and I'd give it 4.5/5.   

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:41:20 am »
I love dahl. Unfortunately I don't have the Australian EDC. I found this dahl recipe ( http://www.sugercoatit.com/red-lentil-and-tomato-dahl-thermomix/ )through Google and was wondering if it was the same as in the book. Could someone please have a look? Looking at the posts in this topic I think it may well be the same, in which case 400ml water made it way too runny... And I used pre-soaked Chana dahl, still crunchy after 35 mn cooking...
Thank you
http://www.sugercoatit.com/red-lentil-and-tomato-dahl-thermomix/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:44:37 am »
Yes that's the same recipe Lemongrass.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:27:38 pm »
Thank you Judydawn. I'll try with a different type of lentils and less water next time.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 01:58:50 am »
I still love this recipeand I'm glad it made it onto the TM5 BCB chip.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution