Author Topic: new to thermomix  (Read 4331 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
new to thermomix
« on: September 03, 2009, 02:18:35 pm »
Hi everyone

I received my thermomix on Tuesday, and have already cooked 3 dinners, 1 dessert, 1 breakfast, 1 soup (very easy, but didn't really like it) and the stock concentrate.  Have plans to make dip for a party on Saturday, and a salad for Father's Day lunch.

So far I'm really pleased with how it's going.  I love the fact that it's a self stirring pot as it frees me up to do other things.  Am looking forward to getting more confident and experimenting with converting favourite recipes.  I'm also excited about starting to make my own bread, particularly considering what's about to happen to commercial bread this month.

Looking forward to sharing new recipes together
Cathy
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: new to thermomix
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 02:23:13 pm »
Welcome - sad about the soup (which one?) - still the more you make, the better it gets.   ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:59:45 pm »
Welcome Cathy

Hang in there, it only gets better as you get used to using the machine!

I must live in a time warp...admittedly I don't watch the news lol...what is happening with commercial bread this month....good to know from a consultants point  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 03:13:08 pm »
Hi Cathy, welcome to the forum.  We all have disasters from time to time (even now) but you will soon learn which are the best recipes to try and which to leave alone.  Once you get around to converting your own favourite recipes you will be wrapped.

Like Kathryn, I don't seem to get to sit down and see much news these day and don't know what is happening to bread either ??? ??? ??? Sounds scary :o :o
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 03:33:28 pm »
JD I don't watch it cause I don't want to lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 11:32:15 pm »
welcome cathy! please tell us about the bread thing!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 02:45:40 am »
Am I correct in saying Folate is being added to all commercial bread? I believe I heard/read it somewhere.  I'm not sure how I feel about it. My brother and his wife had a spina bifida daughter who only lived 5 or so weeks. She was beautiful. This is the reason I'm unsure of my feelings.  It will be good to protect others from this happening but then why do I need folate added to my bread? My feelings swing both ways.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 08:14:56 am »
Hi everyone

Yes, the news is about folate being added to all commercial bread.  I've subscribed to Cyndi's newsletters and that's where I heard about it. 

In a nutshell, while folate is important especially during times of rapid growth, it is the forceful medication for everyone that I don't like the sound of.  I can't remember exactly what the article said, but it made me very wary.

I've also read somewhere that there has been research saying it can be dangerous for men.  I guess I don't like taking or digesting anything that I don't have a choice over.  So am about to embark on breadmaking!

Cathy
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 11:59:18 am »
Welcome to the forum Cathy. :)