Author Topic: A re-introduction  (Read 7907 times)

Offline JenniCB

• View Profile
A re-introduction
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:01:02 am »
Hi All,

Well, it's been a loooong time since I've been on this board. I originally got Thermie back in December 2010, used it heaps and posted on this board a fair bit. But then at the end of 2011 we moved interstate to Tassie and everything slipped just a little. My usage of poor Thermie went way down. The first house we lived in was a really old one that had zero, and I mean zero, zip, zilch, nada bench space. I had to used the small draining board area just to make a sandwich. So rolling out pizza dough was long gone and many other ways of using my Thermie too. Then the following year (2013) we moved to a different house but I fell quite ill (major anxiety and depression that hit me out of nowhere) and so just getting out of bed and showering were major feats meaning dinner was reduced to the heat and eat variety that hubby could do.

As of Christmas time though I am now back in my own lovely kitchen in WA and ready to get back to cooking some food from actual ingredients without all the additives and preservatives in the processed kind. I just feel a little lost as to where to start. I had a look at some recipes in this forum today but quickly became overwhelmed, not knowing which we were the best ones. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Could anyone give me some ideas of some tried and true, well loved and popular recipes. I'm mostly after something to cook for dinner (though of course happy to accept other suggestions!) I am cooking for 5 (kids aged 10,8 and one very fussy 5 year old). We like chicken, meat, pasta, pizza, quiches, casseroles, salads, stir fries.....no seafood.

Thanks heaps guys. I remember what a helpful bunch you always used to be. I just really want to get my enthusiasm back for my Thermie. Shock horror that I dare allow it to become just another expensive piece of equipment that takes up bench space!!!!

PS I literally haven't used the varoma since before we went to Tassie....so in other words not in about 2 1/2 years!
Mum to 5 gorgeous kids, 3 bio aged 22,20 and 15, and 2 adopted aged 7 and 2.

Living in Western Australia

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Re: A re-introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:06:33 am »
Oh wow, JenniCB, well first of all thanks for sharing your story and welcome back.

As a person who lives in Tassie I'm really sad to read that you lost your Thermie mojo while you lived here, as we love our Thermomixes in Tasmania and are really proud to support any orphan Thermomix owners who come along.

Never mind - the great news is that whatever the challenges of the past you are feeling determined and supported again now.  Good on you!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline JenniCB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:07:03 am »
Ok now I don't know where my brain went while writing my post, but I got my kids ages all wrong!!! Trying to stop them growing up maybe?? They are 12, 10 and 5 years oops!! Moving interstate at Christmas time, school holidays and getting a very full on puppy for the first time will do that to you I guess!!

Jenni

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:35:28 am »
Welcome back JenniCB.  Glad you back in a place where you are able to get back into cooking.  I can well understand that in the time you have been away this group has really grown but that just gives you heaps more recipes to try as well as the tried and true ones you remember.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:50 am »
Youve certainly had a lot on your plate, so I hope that now you are back in WA things will look up for you. Have a look through some of my favourite recipes as there is bound to be a few that your family like also. We're always here if you have any questions.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:12 am »
Hi Jenni, I remember you from your photo and can't believe it has been 2 years since you posted - the time has flown by.
Remember the Chicken Chasseur recipe you posted on the forum, well that has some good reviews so maybe you might like to revisit one of your own recipes again. 

CP63 has posted a wonderful list of tried and true recipes here.  I'm sure there are many on there that would suit what you like to cook.

We have a varoma, all-in-one meals section now - have a look on there too.

If you have time to browse the forum, check out some of the main meals or vegetarian meals, read the reviews, look at the pictures and give them a go.  Just pick out a few to start with, there are so many it is overwhelming for anyone - take baby steps and you'll get there.

So glad you are now able to make a disconcerted effort to get back into the swing of things Jenni and I wish you luck and continued good health.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
A re-introduction
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:49:22 am »
Hi Jenni .. Welcome back! My PC has crashed so I'm using Tapatalk on my phone right now and not sure  I can link threads but I see now that CP and JD have already linked CP's favourites.. A great place to start!!

Also look for the thread for beef stroganoff by Chelsea  (thermie groupie). That's an excellent recipe. Then on that thread scroll down just a little and there are links to Chelsea's other very highly recommended recipes...

Good luck and take it easy!! Any questions at all, pop them in here and there'll be plenty of help :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:51:38 am by judydawn »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:48 am »
Welcome back Jenni.It must be lovely for you to be back in your own kitchen and getting your TM mojo back.
Funny Judy mentioned your Chicken Chasseur recipe because I cooked it at the weekend.It was delicious and I made the leftovers into individual pies ;)
CP's list is great.I've cooked many meals from that list ;)
As you know we are here to help with any problems :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:42 am »
Welcome back to the forum Jenni. So glad that you are ready to get back into your cooking.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:13:05 am »
Hi Jenni and welcome back. Thanks for sharing your story. Hope your mojo comes back quickly. CP's list, as mentioned above, is a good place to start. Happy cooking xox

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:48 am »
Lovely to have you back Jenni. Welcome back to WA too. I hope the heat didn't hurt you too much the other day.
Others have made some great suggestions so I certainly won't repeat them.   
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 11:28:00 am »
Welcome back Jenni,
thanks for sharing your story, even though it was a sad one. Glad it is a happier place for you now. Hugs.
where abouts in Tassie were you?
:D

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 11:32:30 am »
Welcome back. You will find CP's list very useful. This chicken dish is a favourite in our house http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=355.0
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 12:19:12 pm »
Welcome back to WA, thermie and the forum! I got mine last year and got hooked to this fabulous forum :) :)

Offline JenniCB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 12:52:47 pm »
Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful replies. I love that phrase "lost my Thermie mojo" cecilia! That exactly describes what happened. So glad to see that you are still here judydawn. I remember you as a bit of a Thermomix Guru :) Oh and yes, I saw my Chicken Chasseur recipe! I have to say I was very surprised as I posted it ages ago and it just disappeared and lay dormant for a while. Funny to see it being tested and reviewed now 3 years later!! astarra, we lived in Hobart. We rented for a year in Sandy Bay and then a year in Kingston if you know the suburbs of Hobart at all.

Jen