Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6181514 times)

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #23790 on: April 17, 2020, 05:56:56 am »
Worked out how to hotspot from my phone. Our area finally got NBN on and we are waiting to be hooked up by our provider. Should happen within 48hrs. I really only need it so I am able to complete Covid19 training for work.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23791 on: April 17, 2020, 07:19:31 am »
I love hearing what you’re all doing to fill in your day.  Did you give that chap your recipe Chookie?
K Atie your DH is much better off on his own to get his work done, he may be glad when it’s time to come back home to the family though.
Gosh your area is slow getting hooked up to the NBN Michele, I hope it all goes well and you have no teething problems.
After a visit to the doctor to receive blood test results this morning I have a new path to follow which will keep me busy for a while - apparently I’m a Type 2 diabetic.  My appointment was at 9.15 this morning and here it is 6 hours later and I still haven’t had time to read what she printed out for me nor checked out anything online.  Nothing much is happening until next week when she rings me armed with more information from the blood & urine tests taken today.  Another challenge in my life but I’m up for it, I know so many diabetics but most are not doing the right thing from what I’ve observed with their eating habits.  3 are though and they seem to be doing OK.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23792 on: April 17, 2020, 11:06:32 am »
Judy, you will do well with your new diet.  Just stick to it.
Yes I gave Richard Cornish what he needed.  But it made me think what a wonderful resource we have in the Forum posts.
K Atie, your poor DH.   He must be totally frustrated.  He is lucky he can escape.  You have a lot going on in your life.  Don’t be too hard on yourself.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23793 on: April 17, 2020, 11:18:18 am »
Great news you could visit your Mum Judy albeit from behind a glass window. Sorry to hear you are Type 2 Diabetic.

I had a FaceTime session with a group of friends today. It was so good to laugh. One friend is an amazing gardener and when I told her DS was about to compost a load of excess seedlings because of the lockdown and she said NO!! She would contact DS and between them they would safely exchange seedlings for compost.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23794 on: April 17, 2020, 11:28:26 am »
Think we are all a bit quieter tonight . Big week , my chocolate cake became DS pre Birthday cake ( he will be 15 in ten days he announced tonight ) .
Thank you Chookie ,going to try to make small goals for me to feel good . Teens went for a long walk this afternoon, DD did a work out before that !

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23795 on: April 17, 2020, 11:54:55 am »
I hope your friend got to DS before he got rid of the seedlings Denise, they’re pretty impossible to buy here at the moment.

I’ll be fine girls but it’s going to be totally different to Keto.  I might dig out all my Annette Sym recipe books as I’m sure they’re ideal for diabetics. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23796 on: April 17, 2020, 11:57:45 am »
Oh gosh Judy. That is possibly not quite the news you were expecting. When my doctor said my blood sugar was up I had to have a glucose tolerance test.  They take blood, then give you a sweet gooey drink and then take your blood again at about 1 hour and then 2 hours. It’s to see how your pancreas is working processing the sugars.
It’s now 3 1/2 years since I was diagnosed. Things are going pretty well for me.

Denise my brother FaceTimes friends and they have a coffee or drinks together. It sounds like a good idea at this time.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:11:27 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23797 on: April 17, 2020, 01:41:08 pm »
Yes that’s the test I had just before Easter cookie, only just got the results this morning as this  doctor only works Mondays and Fridays.  I know you’re doing well so I hope to as well.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #23798 on: April 18, 2020, 02:01:15 am »
Sorry to hear your news Judy. Will be looking forward to seeing what you will be cooking. I like  Annette Syms recipes.
I love reading about how everyone is keeping themselves busy these days.
Glad too that I learned how to hotspot from my phone. This afternoon I should have been going to card making group. Obviouly that couldn't happen so the lady that's running it this month dropped kits in our letter boxes, we transferred the money to her account and we will have class via facebook live.
It was suggested to have a zoom party but not everyone is set up for that.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23799 on: April 18, 2020, 05:05:46 am »
I’m just looking at recipes at the moment Michele, until I have an appointment with a dietician I won’t be doing much.  The freezer is full of cooked food so I have to get rid of that first.
Enjoy your online class.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23800 on: April 18, 2020, 07:07:41 am »
I have started to write a family history.  This will be based on what I have been told by various family members.  I will not be diligently checking births and dates.  It will be more about the people and what they did.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23801 on: April 18, 2020, 07:19:07 am »
Good on you Chookie. Mum commenced Dad's side of the family but struck a problem back in the mid 1800's. Now things are easier to find I should pick it up.
Judy have a good chat with the dietician. Sadly the one I saw was useless, but I think I'm ok. I'm fortunate my GP groups has a diabetic nurse attached. I see her every 6 months. You may well be told that you need to see a Podiatrist, and have your eyes checked. My nurse also gets reports from the dentist I see. I get 5 free visits to the podiatrist which I love. Diabetes can effect our eyes, feet and goodness knows what else. Over here the WA diabetes group run lots of free sessions and they are only ever a phone call away. I knew absolutely nothing, but we attended a couple of classes etc and now feel fairly confident. I only need to test my blood sugar twice a week and still hate pricking my finger for it. Some people need to test several times a day.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23802 on: April 18, 2020, 08:31:23 am »
Yes the doctor did mention those other professionals cookie.  Many years ago I used to look into diabetic recipes when I had neighbours in for a meal, there are a few diabetics in the street.  I’d make sure the food I served was OK for them and made special diabetic desserts but they would eat the non-diabetic desserts.  Which food is suitable was hard to understand back then and still is but I’m hoping the dietician gives me enough information.  It seems that I can eat almost all the foods I couldn’t on Keto.  It will all take time to understand it all but I want to start doing the right thing now and be a little prepared before the next round of appointments.  I’ve started a list of questions I need to ask but in the meantime Mr Google is answering some of my questions.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:34:30 pm by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23803 on: April 18, 2020, 08:49:06 am »
That’s great Judy. Give me a yell if I can help in any way  ❤️

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23804 on: April 18, 2020, 01:38:46 pm »
Thanks cookie, I will do that.  Tonight I’ve gone through my 7 Annette Sym books and made a list of recipes that interest me and which book they’re in.  That’s kept me busy all night plus I found a couple of the Diabetic magazines that I once subscribed to for some reason, I gave them to a friend years ago when she was diagnosed but these 2 must have stayed back for when I needed them myself!