Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6175258 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #23775 on: April 14, 2020, 12:15:59 am »
Also love hearing how everyone is coping in these  most unnatural circumstances.  We are really so adaptive. Judy, love your gardening adventures. Just getting outside in the fresh air is so good. 
Like cookie and K Atie I have my gardening/ cooking clothes and going out clothes. I make such a mess of my clothes when cooking, even though I wear an apron, I couldn’t possibly wear my ‘ good’ clothes all day. Now for the funny bit.  I do dress a bit better for when we are having deliveries.
My Great grandmother would have, ‘ at home’ days.  These were days when she was dress appropriately to receive visitors. Her day was Tuesday.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #23776 on: April 14, 2020, 02:48:29 am »
I make a terrible mess when I cook, I always seen to get flour over everything and me as well.
We were naughty on Sunday and sneaked down to the supermarket.  DH has been doing the shopping for me but he doesn't always manage to get it quite right.  We felt very guilty afterwards as both DS and DIL have asked us to stay home.
DH almost got caught this morning going for a walk to the corner shop for the paper just as DS arrived to see if we wanted anything.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23777 on: April 14, 2020, 04:59:27 am »
That gave me a chuckle Mab.
Like some of you I always get flour etc all over me when I cook. I have some lovely aprons but never wear them.
This morning I popped some washing on, checked the dragon fruit and some beans that are growing like crazy, filled the bird bath, some irons, cleaned a bathroom/toilet and this afternoon I will vacuum and wash the living area. DH took some bean seeds from the lady over the road, it was hanging over her fence. They are growing like a beanstalk! We don’t know what sort they are but are fun to watch.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23778 on: April 14, 2020, 02:44:32 pm »
Oh that is what we are doing revisiting our grandparent days in so many ways. Not a lot achieved today , the place looks a mess . Oh well will just have to do quiet cleaning tomorrow. DS had a melt down this arvo and refused to do what was asked , think return to school is so different now that he is just having a moment. DD has worked all holidays , she too told me that she had so much work not done ... I can hardly believe it but there you go . Bring on first day back to school online learning . The lessons are only half an hour , huge changes . But I just keep reassuring them .
I cooked all arvo .

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23779 on: April 15, 2020, 07:48:26 am »
Today I saw my Mum for the first time in over 3 weeks with my first ‘garden visit’.  She knew who I was but reckoned she couldn’t hear me and told me to ‘come in here’.  So it wasn’t really successful as far as having a conversation but it was nice to see her looking the same as usual.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23780 on: April 15, 2020, 08:38:40 am »
Judy at least you can see her and she can see you. It makes you feel a little better. Does she understand the lock down? MIL nursing home told them that it was an extremely bad flu.

I did the shopping this morning. Couldn't get a couple of things but will hopefully be able to get them next week.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23781 on: April 15, 2020, 09:42:21 am »
No she doesn’t understand what it’s all about cookie and I believe those that do are quite depressed so I think dementia in these circumstances is better for you. 

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23782 on: April 15, 2020, 12:43:30 pm »
First day back for Term 2 distance learning. Well think it was stressful to start but kids did really well . Lots of giggles too . Only half hour lessons which is very hard . Lots of breaks . The lunchtime one they went for a walk ! For me it was how to be quiet , I had planned to make a zucchini slice and potato leek soup . Too funny had to do it in the breaks just in time for lunch . No washing machine or kettle noise !! Then to top it off I had to dash to the other farm to charge a relaxer for farm hand ! Then DH and I were bad parents and left them doing school while we went 25 mins to the other farm to check the seeder was putting out the right amount of seed fertiliser. Now this would of been ok if DS mentor from school had not rung to check how DS was going and any Qs regarding new learning . I had to conduct the meeting on the phone while driving around the paddock looking at the seeder and DH wanting me to drive over Where crop was just planted ! Responsible parents !! Laugh is all I can do . They were fine , jobs not done but at least school work was . DD gave a Boarding House meeting tonight with all the girls who normally board . Bring on tomorrow.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23783 on: April 15, 2020, 01:20:15 pm »
K Atie, don’t feel guilty.  Your kids are big enough to cope. They also seem pretty mature. Tell DD not to stress out as there will be other kids who will have done nothing over the holidays. Not just at her school but right across the state.  And that is who she is competing with.
When my DD and DS were in years 9 and 10, ( attending a very academic high powered school,) they both caught a German Measles. Both missed the last term of school. DD spent 12 week in Hospital. Both returned to school and picked up years 10 and 11. Both completed school with outstanding results.  I get very cross when I hear the PM saying our kids future education is at stake.  Their health and keeping them alive comes first, schooling second.
Judy, probably more distressing for you than your Mum. I am very impress at how the nursing homes are doing their best to manage a very difficult situation.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What have you been doing today?
« Reply #23784 on: April 16, 2020, 06:42:37 am »
KAtie DD caught glandular fever and was completely out of action for almost a term.  She had a really bad case. When she was strong enough to sit up friends used to fax her the days lessons, and like Chookie’s DD and DS she came through with a 98.2 ATAR.  Don’t stress, although I know it’s what parents do.

DH and DD have set up a re creation of a drive in to watch Ford Vs Ferrari. However they are using DD’s Mustang instead of a Ferrari. I think isolation is getting to them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 07:51:25 am by cookie1 »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23785 on: April 16, 2020, 10:13:24 am »
LOL, it’s amazing what people come up with when they’re bored cookie.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23786 on: April 16, 2020, 10:33:11 pm »
Thank you everyone again . So true about missing school when young and unwell , even I had many years ,aged 2-12 , in and out of hospital having cysts removed from my ear , the royal children’s hospital was what I though the best place for milkshakes! The kids will be ok just an adjustment to thier lives . To true regarding thier health and well-being than being at school as such .

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23787 on: April 16, 2020, 10:49:01 pm »
LOL, it’s amazing what people come up with when they’re bored cookie.
Totally agree. Very creative Cookie.
With the lockdown, ( into our 5th week now). I have had more time to read and think. Lots of stuff on bread.  Also read an item by an Australian cook/ journalist on living in a small apartment in Paris with small child, husband and NO oven.  All these ideas came together and I wondered why no one has mentioned cooking bread in SC/ crock pot.
I was reading an article in The age by Richard Cornish, ( Brain Food).  I sent him an email and asked why this was never mentioned.  He replied immediately and asked how long a loaf took. I replied. Will be interesting to see if this is mentioned in his next posting.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #23788 on: April 17, 2020, 12:18:25 am »
The children of today haven't really had to face any hardship, so it may be a good thing. Everyone seems to be getting very creative. DH and I have been getting many things done around the house and garden. Apparently there are some people in Newcastle/Lake Macquarie out shopping every day, which isn't good. My TMX and the forum have been a life saver for me. I needed almond meal for a recipe and was able to make it in the TMX where as in the last 2 years I would have just bought it. It may even earn a spot on the bench again.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23789 on: April 17, 2020, 02:44:44 am »
Had to take DH to the other farm so he can work in the granny flat / office ,I  had to pack food for the day . He is not managing with kids school schedules and his own phone calls and his ankle . So he is in his own isolation each day , a tad grumpy . so teens think it is great that they have a quiet house but are a little miffed to . Darling MIL thinks I’ve lost the plot and over reacting about the virus...oh well I can only try .
The pressure that a lot of families are in would be so bad , as I mentioned to DH yesterday , he is lucky to be able to have the farm functioning, a bit differently, unlike others who are jobless lost thier businesses etc .
How people are doing puzzles ,reading heaps  sewing , I have not managed that at all. Time will make that happen .