Author Topic: Internet provider?  (Read 7652 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Internet provider?
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:59:08 am »
Hi everyone, again I have ran out of GB for the month. Everything is slow and painful and I can't stand it.
Anyway at the moment I'm with Telstra and have a 25GB plan and in the last 6 months we have ran out every month except for February.
I'm looking at upping my GB and wondering what providers people recommend (for Tassie)  I'm unsure who is available here as I have always been with Telstra. I'm looking on the Internet (although it's very slow at the moment) but would like first hand recommendation by people I trust (you guys)
Thanks in advance :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Internet provider?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 12:07:38 pm »
We are with Westnet and totally love them. Have been with many providers over the years and have to say they have been the best so far (have been with them now for about 5 years). If we have a problem and ring up you get to speak to someone in less than 5 minutes ... another provider I was with used to take about 90 minutes to get a CSO  :o :o

We have a huge amount of GB's per month (200gb off peak and 200gb peak) as we have 3 teens that game online, DH downloads a fair bit for uni and we also download movies etc ... yet we can still run out lol  :-[ :-[

Like phone providers everyone will have a recommendation for one company and someone else will have a horror story about them. I refuse to use Telstra as I abhor their customer service from years ago ... and DS is having problems now after working away and I made payments on his account ... they have lost them and say they weren't made ... yet they are on my credit card ... go figure!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 12:11:59 pm »
Yes I have heard a lot of bad stories from certain providers. I just need to be confident to make a change. A bit of mucking about to start with but hopefully for the better. I just think we are paying too much for what we get when there are cheaper ones out there. But I'm wanting to read all the fine print first as I would hate to get caught out with a huge bill coming in :(

Bonsai

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:02:18 pm »
We use iinet and are very happy with the plans and cost. They own westnet so similar service.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 08:31:35 pm »
Try checking out TPG as well.  We were with them for years and had no complaints.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 10:24:48 pm »
We have ADSL2 with Internode.  On a 150gb plan for about $59.95/month, great speeds and we never run out (just the 2 of us).  :D

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:05:56 am »
I been looking about at different plans. The one that Telstra has on offer is $130 for 500GB, includes all call to local, national and Telstra mobiles, message bank, line rental etc.
I'm looking at a bundle package that includes pretty much everything (except our mobile plans)
There are a few other bundle packages through other provides but don't cover everything mentioned above but are less cost.
I just have to work out what our total bill would cost if we had to pay for some of the calls (like calls to mobiles)
Oh it's all too confusing :)

mcmich

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:14:10 am »
It is just so confusing. Hard to compare apples with apples.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 12:18:19 am »
I know how you feel Mandi.
We are with activ8 and have a satellite dish. Not many providers in our area and it costs a fortune. $50 for 1GB (noon to midnight) and 4GB (midnight to noon).

Anxiously waiting for NBN to come our way.

Good luck with your research.
DG  :-*
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 02:18:04 am »
NBN will never come to us,
We have wireless at home, we can't even get ADSL.

We have a sat dish too, but not working now.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 02:42:35 am »
You poor souls - we don't realise how lucky we are in the city with all the facilities we have here.  Hope you both get NBN before too long :-))
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 03:13:27 am »
Hi Mandi,
Have you tried netspace? We have been with them for a  long time and seem to be reasonable if ever there is a problem.
Perhaps you can talk to them about your own needs. Good luck with it.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 04:37:38 am »
Well after some research into what would suit us best I have decided to upgrade to the 500GB bundle. It will only cost us around $10 extra a month to have 475GB more than we have now. Everything else I looked at didn't provide everything I was after and would probably either work out the same cost or more.
So the deal is done, just got to wait till Wednesday for it to all happen.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 06:58:32 am »
Great news Mandi.

We live 12 klms from Town, so too far for anything.
The joys of living in Paradise.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 08:35:43 am »
Is that 500 GB for a year Mandi ??? Who did you end up choosing?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.