Author Topic: Cutting calories down in recipes  (Read 27900 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Cutting calories down in recipes
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:00:30 am »
I was looking at ways of cutting down on calories (especially fats and sugars) for most of my recipes I make.
I'm going to add apple sauce to cakes muffins etc to replace half the fat (butter, oil etc) and cut the sugar by 1/4 to 1/2 and butter in half on everything else.
And replace half the white flour with whole wheat flour.

I will report on the successes and failures as I make a recipe so others know what works and what doesn't

10 Ways to Cut Calories in Baking Recipes

Here are 10 tried-and-true tips to help make baking recipes healthier.

1. Whole-Wheat Flour Takes the Cake

In most bakery-type recipes (muffins, cakes, cookies, coffee cakes, brownies, nut breads, etc.) you can usually substitute whole-wheat flour for half of the white flour. Compared with 1/4 cup of white flour, each 1/4 cup of whole-wheat flour adds 3.5 grams of fiber, various phytochemicals, and double the amount of magnesium and selenium. The extra fiber helps slow digestion and increase fullness.

2. Cut the Sugar

In most baking recipes, you can replace half the sugar with Splenda (or a similar product). If you'd rather not use a sugar alternative, you can sometimes just cut the sugar by 1/4 and the recipe will still work out. For each tablespoon of sugar you cut out, you'll save 48 calories. So cutting 1/4 cup of sugar would save you a total of 192 calories.

3. Use an Egg Substitute

You can replace half of the eggs in your bakery recipes with egg substitute. Some cake recipes call for three or four eggs; some muffin recipes call for one or two. For each large egg that you replace with 1/4 cup of egg substitute, you'll shave 45 calories, 5 grams of fat, 1.6 grams saturated fat, and 213 mg cholesterol.

4. Cut the Fat

In most baking recipes, you can cut the fatty ingredient (butter, margarine, shortening, or oil) by half. So if a cake recipe calls for 1 cup of butter or margarine, you can usually use 1/2 cup instead. Remember to replace that 1/2 cup with a moist but healthful ingredient, and choose an ingredient that complements the flavors of your recipe. My arsenal of secret weapons includes fat-free sour cream, low-fat buttermilk, orange juice, low-fat yogurt, applesauce and other fruit purees, strong coffee, and light cream cheese. Cutting fat cuts lots of calories, as each gram of fat translates into 9 calories (a gram of carbohydrate or protein, by comparison, has 4).

5. Use Light Products

Try substituting lower-fat and lower-sugar ingredients in your baking recipes when possible. For example, if you're making a cake that calls for sour cream, use the fat-free version. Also try reduced-fat cheese, light cream cheese, less-sugar jams, light pancake syrup, light Cool Whip, light yogurt, light margarine or whipped butter, and fat-free half-and-half. Most of these products will help you cut calories and saturated fat along with the total grams of fat.

6. Cut Down on High-Calorie Extras

Recipe add-ins and embellishments can sometimes be left out or cut in half. If a recipe calls for chocolate chips, for example, you can reduce the amount. If a recipe calls for dotting your pie with butter, you can safely skip this step. In a cake recipe, you can often get by with half the original amount of frosting (In a double-layer cake, just frost the top and middle and forget the sides). And in some cakes, bars, and cookies, you can eliminate frosting and substitute a light sprinkling of powdered sugar. Using 2 tablespoons of frosting instead of 4 will shave about 130 calories, 4.5 grams of fat, and 2 grams of saturated fat. Each tablespoon of chocolate chips omitted cuts about 50 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 2 grams of saturated fat.

7. Keep a Carton of Fat-Free Sour Cream in Your Fridge

Fat-free sour cream is the bomb in light recipes for three reasons. It's an easy replacement for real sour cream in recipes like pound cake or coffee cake. You can use it as a substitute for part of the fat in recipes for things like cookies (it works especially well for brownies), cake, or muffins. Further, manufacturers often add soluble fiber-like ingredients (such as gelatin, agar gum, xanthan gum, and locust bean gum) to keep fat-free sour cream stable. These ingredients also help keep it from separating when you whip it into your batter or heat it while baking. If your eight-serving recipe calls for 1 cup of butter or oil, and you use 1/2 cup of fat-free sour cream in place of half the butter or oil, you'll save about 110 calories and 13 grams of fat per serving.

8. Go Cuckoo for Cocoa

Cocoa is a great way to add the chocolate flavor to bakery recipes without getting the saturated fat (and calories) found in chocolate chips or chocolate squares. Cocoa has the healthy flavonol antioxidants found in the cocoa bean, too. Look for recipes that call for cocoa instead of chocolate chips or bars, or use 6 tablespoons of cocoa plus 1 tablespoon of canola oil plus 1 tablespoon of fat-free sour-cream instead of 2 squares of unsweetened baking chocolate. For every 2 squares of baking chocolate you replace, you'll shave almost 90 calories and 14 grams of fat (most of which is saturated fat).

9.   Add Zest to Your Batter With Citrus

The zest, or outermost layer, of a citrus fruit is full of aromatic oils and flavor. Adding citrus zest is an easy, zero-calorie way to boost the flavor of low-fat dough and batters. I use zest in all sorts of recipes, from muffins, cookies, cakes, and bars to frosting, pies, and pancakes.

10. Use Cooking Spray and Nonstick Pans

Using nonstick pans and dishes and a spritz of canola cooking spray means you'll need less fat in the batter or crust to keep food from sticking. All sorts of nonstick bakeware are available, from springform pans, to cake and muffin pans, to cookie sheets and deep-dish pie plates. When you use one of these pans, your lighter cakes, muffins and tarts will come out nicely brown and won't stick.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78682&page=2
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting calories down in recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 10:46:08 am »
Great list of ideas Mandi, thanks for sharing with us.

This one is amazing for just 2 squares of chocolate - to think you need so much to replace 2 little squares :o  How often do we use just 2 squares of chocolate, it is usually heaps more so the following would blow out for a 200g block. Would that be right?

6 tablespoons of cocoa plus 1 tablespoon of canola oil plus 1 tablespoon of fat-free sour-cream instead of 2 squares of unsweetened baking chocolate.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 10:59:16 am »
I'm not sure about that one Judy, maybe it's a misprint. :)

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 11:17:49 am »
Thank you for the list Mandi.
I also look for healthy alternatives in cooking  :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 11:20:59 am »
Great list Mandi, thank you :-*

I don't eat baked goods like cakes or biscuits, but I have a bit of a knack for baking so I make them often for friends. I'm always interested in ways to make them healthier.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 07:10:34 pm »
6T cocoa is a HUGE amount? Is that right?

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:57:52 pm »
It's a huge amount DriverJess, I wonder about that hint. Not sure how much chocolate it is supposed to replace. You would think with the oil added as well that it would be more calories than 2 squares of chocolate. I think it's a typo. I just copied the hints from the web site. :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 09:09:03 pm »
yes it is 6Tbl of cocoa i have it on my substitute list
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 09:21:02 pm »
Yep I was just looking at other sites and that is correct. Although its probably American TBs so might vary a little. :)
Morning fundj :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 09:30:29 pm »
morning mandi

i have used this a few times when making muffins

Combine 6 tablespoons cocoa powder with 2 tablespoon of butter, margarine or vegetable oil. This will make the equivalent of 2 ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate.
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 09:33:17 pm »
2 ounces = 56 grams

Thanks fundj :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 10:25:28 pm »
Thanks Dede.  great list.  I have fiddled with a few recipes to get the calories down and it is not easy to maintain the texture and taste and get fewer calories.  Heather's Zucchini and coconut cake is one.  I made this 4 times to get it right.   I found that egg white was a great help to help the cake stick together and lower the calories.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 10:29:58 pm »
Tablespoons... Uk one 15 mls, Australia 20mls.... Only just learnt that on google.

We learnt as kids that a T of flour was 1/2 ounce. Yes I learnt to cook with imperial and am now bilingual with metric. ( so are my grown up kids) .

I often use a normal tablespoon from the drawer to measure things,
Just checked that is still half an ounce (13 gms) whereas my cooking spoon set tablespoon is less - .4 ounce or 11 grams.
My baking scales measure in 1g intervals.

So I was thinking when I said huge amount-  3 ozs cocoa from 6T. ....

Will maybe try  this substitute although a lot of my Choc recipes are cocoa based.
Not so keen on the diet stuff: mayo, Philly, etc because of the additives. Prefer to have less of the real stuff, and not eat carbonara very often!

All fascinating. Thanks.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 11:35:49 pm »
I use light sour cream in muffins too.
Great list,

Thanks, Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 12:38:40 am »
I have just made a chocolate brownie and cut half the butter and replaced with apple sauce, and used 1/3 less sugar and half whole meal half plain white flour. Just come out of oven and looks and smells great. I guess the taste test will tell :)

Also making a bimby chocolate cake. Used half butter half apple sauce. Same with flour 1/2 whole meal 1/2 white. Dropped the sugar down from 370g to 250g and used light milk (which is what I always use) in the oven now.

At least doing this will also save money with using less ingredients ;D

As long as it tastes fine then it's a win win situation for the waist and the pocket.