Author Topic: Learning the hard way!!!  (Read 7300 times)

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
Learning the hard way!!!
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »
Got my thermomix late yesterday afternoon, and decided to venture forward and make the lemonade, which at the demo, both me and my 2 boys adored. It all got drunk last night needless to say!! So today I decided to have a whole afternoon of getting to know my TM. Made a loaf of bread, some chocolate mousse and the tikka paste, which I had read about a few months ago. It sounded so yummy!! The bread was great, the chocolate mousse was great but the paste was a real disappointment. It was so salty. Had to swallow my pride and send it to the recycling bin as I knew I would never use it. The recipe stated 30g of salt, which I felt was alot, but decided I had to do it by the book. I feel a little deflated now, as instead of saving me money (which I had hoped) it has now cost me alot of money for a product that has now gone to waste. I know it's a learning curve, and next time I will adjust the amount of salt considerably, but does this happen to other TM owners? :'(

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Learning the hard way!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:04:39 pm »
That sounds like a lot of salt.  That is equivalent to 2 tablespoons (American) of salt. 
This is the amount I use in 6 quarts of water for cooking pasta. 

I haven't looked at that particular recipe  but I do make sambal paste and my recipe only uses half a teaspoon  which is about 2.5 grams.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:41:07 pm »
Yes, as I was pouring it in I felt it was alot, but thought who am I to know better! I am not known for my culinary skills, hence purchasing a TM! I know everyone has different tastes, but the salty taste was just overpowering.  :-\

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:43:22 pm »
I'm still fairly new at the TM way of cooking.  I always check the reviews on the forum of new recipes before I begin cooking.  That way I can add the tweaks others have suggestion.

I've found salt and sugar seem to be over stated in a lot of recipes.  Also don't bin anything, especially pastes, before checking or asking for help here.  There is so much good advice on how to rescue disasters. 

I would have made another batch of paste minus the salt and mixed the two together - freeze the excess in portion sizes.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:40:14 pm »
Yes, as I was pouring it in I felt it was alot, but thought who am I to know better! I am not known for my culinary skills, hence purchasing a TM! I know everyone has different tastes, but the salty taste was just overpowering.  :-\

Maybe it was a misprint and should have been   3.0 grams. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 08:42:22 pm »
Although it is a bit late now, making a second portion without salt then combining the two is a good suggestion from Keiramax, also checking for any reviews on here can be invaluable.  We alll have teething disasters - mine was not removing kombu (a sea weed) from a bean dish in the Vegetarian Cookbook so I ended up with a sea weed tasting meal.  The recipe failed to say to remove the kombu and as I was new to the TMX and had never used kombu before I ended up with a rather nasty tasting dish.  It also failed to say to either pre-cook the beans or at least pre-soak them - I thought it was odd but I am like you, following a new recipe to the letter ... needless to say, the beans were also very under cooked.  But now I know also to go with my instincts as well as what is in the recipe and (almost) everything turns out edible in the end.

Like anything new and different, cooking with the TMX is a learning curve, don't be discouraged, you'll get to grips with it very quickly.  I'm cooking all sorts of things I had never cooked before because of the TMX and it WILL save you money.  Perhaps not today, or this week, but in a month or so you will start to see the difference.

Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:23:33 pm »
Yes, good idea to make another batch minus the salt and combine. I have checked the recipe in several different places and they all say 30g. I was initially not going to bother again., Just thought - that's not nice. Not going to make that again, but I will, and alter it next time to my taste. Thank you all for your help. :-\

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:02:03 pm »
Don't panic to much about a disaster Ali, we have all been there and some that. I have made some recipes that we really didn't like at all and thought it was such a waste of ingredients. TM or no TM we all have moments like that.
Sometimes it's a bit of a trial and error and you need to follow your instincts. :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:01:26 am »
yep the 30g is correct. Here is the recipe. Maybe someone who makes it regularly can offer some advice for next time?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:18:40 am by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 03:02:48 am »
I haven't found the tikka paste to be salty & I also follow recipes to the letter. Maybe the scales were acting up? Or it was the type of salt you were using? I think I used the pink Murray river salt, can't remember now....
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 04:00:29 am »
Did you make something with the Tikka Paste, like the butter chicken? Was it the end dish that was salty? Perhaps don't add extra salt to the dish you're making with the paste.

Or did you taste the actual paste? I've made the paste but I've never actually tasted it prior to making something with it, if you know what I mean!

I know if I tasted my stock concentrate it would be awfully salty and not very pleasant, but when you add it to recipes in small quantities it's nice.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 10:18:12 pm »
I didn't make anything with the tikka paaste, as I had seen a video on you tube where you could just use the paste to cover salmon, which is what I did. Ended up scraping it off the salmon as it was just so salty. It is all trial and error I guess. I am new to it all, so will definately try again. I did use a fresh onion, as I could not get hold of dried, but I don't think that would make it taste as salty as it did. However I will persevere and have another go.Thank you all for your help. :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 01:32:59 am »
Ali, why not make 1/2 the recipe next time - that will last you for a while anyway.  I freeze it in 100g packets.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 01:44:35 am »
dried onion is usually found in the Asian section at supermarkets, in a small plastic bottle. ( if this helps)

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 08:24:44 am »
I didn't make anything with the tikka paaste, as I had seen a video on you tube where you could just use the paste to cover salmon, which is what I did. Ended up scraping it off the salmon as it was just so salty. It is all trial and error I guess. I am new to it all, so will definately try again. I did use a fresh onion, as I could not get hold of dried, but I don't think that would make it taste as salty as it did. However I will persevere and have another go.Thank you all for your help. :)
Ali I use Whitworths Dried Onions in my Tikka Paste.Most of the major supermarkets stock them :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.