Author Topic: Bill Granger's Choc custard tarts  (Read 10558 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Bill Granger's Choc custard tarts
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 12:57:50 am »
Karen, 170g is what I used.  These are really nice and quick.  Loved the rustic pastry bases, no trying to get them perfect.
I had some chopped roasted almonds left over from something else, so I sprinkled them on top instead of icing sugar.
Great conversion Courton.  :D

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 01:05:23 am »
Oh yum Julie, they look great.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:28 am »
Here's a table for different ingredients in cup measurements plus weight and temperature conversions.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 03:00:17 am »
Wow Julie - they look great!  I have done one batch, and although they taste great, they don't look as good as yours.

The choc filling bubbled up and over the top of the tart cases a bit.  I am not sure if I had the oven too hot (it was set at 220, but it is a new oven and I'm not familiar with it yet).  But the pastry wasn't burnt.  When I opened the oven door, the choc mix was really bubbling away.  Maybe I didn't let the custard cool enough before filling the cases.  It was lukewarm, but not stone cold.

What do you think I should do with the next batch?  Cooler oven, cook for less time, or cool the custard more.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 03:23:34 am »
I am glad JD has come to the rescue again with conversions. Sprinkle lots of icing sugar and you will find it looks fine. With the second lot, I would try a slightly cooler oven and cool the custard a bit more (and pour less into the tarts).

Offline ~[fruity]~

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 09:07:49 am »
AFter making these and following the instructions with the pastry, I can't see the need to do that, next time I will just cut circles out of the pastry.
A day without laughter is a day wasted

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 09:21:34 am »
it will be interesting to get your feedback re pastry with your next lot fruity. I think it is the same method that is used in the Portuguese custard tarts and it is meant to give a rich crust. Look forward to hearing about your next lot of tarts

Offline ~[fruity]~

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 09:55:28 am »
Because my littlest one is ana to cows milk protein (read ALL dairy) and soy, and I am still Bfeeding I haven't tasted them, but the reviews from the rest of the family after watching me make them were that the pastry didn't need the fuss, will do it again shortly with just circles and post a further review
A day without laughter is a day wasted