Author Topic: Dan Lapard. All recipes are to be removed,  (Read 31994 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Dan Lapard. All recipes are to be removed,
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 12:23:06 am »
I am also very disappointed by all of this. I totally understand that on the one hand food writers/publishers are trying to make money but on the other hand, we (ie the public) want to know what we are buying before forking out money for some of these cookbooks. As far as I can tell, over recent times every major cookbook writer seems more than happy to have some recipes released as a 'teaser' to whet our appetites. I suspect that everyone who mentioned that the sales have increased since Dan has had exposure on the forum are probably correct. Of course there are copyright laws there for a reason but on the other hand I think we all appreciate some goodwill and it seems there is not much goodwill coming from either Dan or his publisher, especially if the recipes are converted to the thermomix and are not exactly duplicated from a cookbook itself. I certainly do not wish to go and buy any of his books after all of this- prior to this topic being posted I was actually considering buying some of his cookbooks, now I have changed my mind!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 04:19:04 am »
There is some updated information re copyright and recipe ownership from an IP lawyer in a new comment on the "brownie" page here - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com/2011/09/seasonal-secrets-september/comment-page-1/#comment-5016
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 04:25:43 am »
MM ,  the reason I removed my recipes was that I did not want to cause any trouble for you and the very supportive members of this wonderful Forum.  I appreciate you taking an interest in this matter as I feel that the conversion of Dan Lepard's recipes,  as well as incidental information,  from Dan, about bread making has added to the general knowledge of the Forum.  Thank you again.

Amanda,  thank you for your investigation into this matter.

Andi,  your resources , support and knowledge, are greatly appreciated.

To all other Forum members,  thank you for sharing.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 04:30:36 am »
Amanda, your IP lawyer has sound and practical advice for David/Dan Lepard. If the aim is to increase sales by doing this, it certainly is not happening here. All that is being achieved is putting a whole community of forum members off side. Hey, you know what, Dan, the man, recipes are not that unique!

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 05:09:14 am »
I found the IP lawyers comments interesting.  Particularly his link to the copyright act. It sounds as if Amanda and Chookie could take action against David Whitehouse for making spurious claims of copyright infringement

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2012, 05:10:20 am »
Love that Paul/IP lawyer guy. His response to David is pitch perfect.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2012, 05:46:22 am »
i am following along with interest, and as others have said, am unlikely to purchase any dan lepard books in the future. 
i think its funny that people think they own concepts like brownie recipes or bread recipes.... who did they get there recipe ideas from to start with? i am sure dan lepard didnt create them from  scratch...
good on you amanda for standing up for yourself!
Emma from Victoria

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2012, 05:56:42 am »
I agree - well done Amanda et al for standing up for yourselves. We all back you 100%. It would seem that David is forum Thermomix enemy number 1 at the moment!! What a ridiculous time waster he is, surely he has better things to do. If I was Dan Lepard I would be furious! I presume he intended his blog to improve sales of Dan's books but as other people have mentioned, he doesn't have a moratorium on the public posting of recipes. If you look at every website around the world there are millions of variations on various recipes- I think the majority of us are already cookbookaholics, or whatever you want to call it. I know that personally I have paid a small fortune to amass my cookbook collection. Just because someone posts a derivative recipe similar to someone elses, that doesn't mean that I will not then go out and buy that cookbook- I am just so ticked off by David's clearly paranoid behavior that I will certainly not be interested in looking at Dan's cookbooks AT ALL!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2012, 06:23:26 am »
So are the recipes back on the forum lol??

Way to go mm and thx amanda for sharing that info xx
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:03 am »
I will put mine back on when MM says OK.  The 4 I removed were,  GF Bread
                                                                                                 Apricot Custard Rolls
                                                                                                 Spelt and Ginger Cookies
                                                                                                 Halva Flapjacks.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2012, 07:48:04 am »
Well done everyone who stood up to Whitehouse  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2012, 09:33:36 pm »
I agree - well done everyone.  I too will NEVER buy one of Dan Lapard's books - and I am a sucker for a good cook book. >:(
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline Mrs Nesbit

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2012, 11:00:19 pm »
Just to let you guys know, that you are all correct on the copyright issue. I have worked with recipe writers before and I can ASSURE you practically every recipe is an alteration or amalgamation of a few different recipes. To get around this changing the method, and even the measurements for the ingredients changes the entire recipe. This is why you'll often find that some big authors like Nigella, will post 2 editions of books, one with weights only, one with metric and one with imperial measurements. The method remaining the same. Even something as simple as changing a cup of self raising flour to a cup of plain flour with baking soda, or the other way around changes the ownership of the recipe. If a recipe is referenced as "Adapted from" you are completely covered. And there is very little that can be done with regards to republishing the recipe, unless it states in the recipe that it is YOURS and no mention of the true Author is given. But like I said it must be word for word. A lot of recipe writers use other peoples works as inspiration and sometimes lines are blurred. Which is why it is like it is. But you'll also find that most food writers are mates and are more than happy to work together to create something new. It's the way the industry works. Yes it can be cut-throat, and I've seen the nasty side of that too. But for the most part everyone gets along because it's easier that way in the long run. I have never heard of this guy, but he really has done himself a disservice as you can see from this thread his sales will no doubt drop dramatically. When all you were doing really, was giving him free advertising. I can't tell you the amount of cookbooks I have purchased due to recipes I have found on blogs or websites. When I see something good I want more, and I know most foodies are exactly the same!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:36 pm »
great info Mrs Nesbit thanks  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2012, 12:03:29 am »
My solicitor has sent Whitehouse an email requesting him to cease his accusations. I guess we'll see where this goes from that.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com