Author Topic: Quirky Jo's Butter Spread  (Read 6597 times)

Offline Mrs Nesbit

• View Profile
Quirky Jo's Butter Spread
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:04:22 am »
***I don't know where to put this... can't find a category that fits, or where I can review recipes - SORRY mods I know how frustrating it is when you have to move things!***

I just want to say Jo, your butter spread is awesome! We normally buy softened butter, as oppose to margarine. But I thought I'd give this a try. And it really is delicious! So thank you :) It worked perfectly.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quirky Jo's Butter Spread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:21:54 am »
Mrs Nesbit, I am presuming you mean this recipe from Jo's blog?  As we don't have a specific section for reviews of recipes from blogs, I have put it here for you. I think you can probably leave a comment on Jo's blog as well if you would like her to know how much you enjoyed it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Mrs Nesbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:33:37 am »
Yep that's the one.

The reason I posted here was because I couldn't find a recipe on here at all or a discussion, just about regular butter. If that makes sense, and to find a recipe I googled outside the forum. Hope that makes sense :)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:14:31 am »
I made this recently. I froze half of it and we are eating the other half now. The instructions were so clear - it was so easy to make. Thanks Jo!

My husband is complaining that his toast is too soggy when he uses it ( it could have something to do with the amount he slathers onto his toast)  :-\

I'm also finding that is gets really runny if it's out of the fridge for more than about 10 minutes.

Next time I think I'll add less oil and water.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Mrs Nesbit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:50 pm »
I think I'll add less water next time but keep the same oil content. It tastes amazing though.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 05:26:11 pm »
To make it spreadable you only need a small amount of oil and dont know why you need the water at all...????.. One or two tablespoons of oil will make it spreadable enough.. I like butter spreadable but not soft like mayo.. Mayba try te butter and just add a liitle bit of oil until you get a consitency you like..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Mrs Nesbit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:15:33 pm »
Some spreads here do it this way. I was going to make spreadable butter but didn't have enough cream, so I wanted to try this and see what it was like. It's very much like a spread but doesn't have that plastic taste. I knew the water wasn't necessary. But it made me curious and wanted to try it anyway ;)

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 05:07:54 am »
I just make straight butter (ie I don't add any oil, water or salt) and so long as I've rinsed out ALL the buttermilk, it lasts on the bench for up to 5 days, and that's in Adelaide so not exactly a cool climate! I just keep it in a glass container on the benchtop and it's the most delisious, smooth and creamy butter ever. I think you only need to add the oil if you want it spreadable from the fridge, but I prefer not to refrigerate mine.
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline Mrs Nesbit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 06:36:51 am »
Well after having it for a week, we love it.

And the added bonus is the grapeseed oil which is really good for lowering cholesterol and has recently been shown to have cancer fighting properties... so win win!

Don't get me wrong I love straight butter too, but this is a great, healthier and cheaper alternative for my big family :)