Author Topic: My 1st TM week  (Read 3934 times)

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
My 1st TM week
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:04:37 pm »
Well my TM has been sitting in the kitchen for a week now. 

Thankyou for your warm welcome to the forum.  I feel I know some of you really well after reading the shopping thread (nearly all 100 pages) over the last couple of nights.  Just love seeing what others are buying and bookmarking lots of wonderful sites.  Very hard to get to the shops and browse with 2 little ones.

Well the day of delivery, I was shown hot chocolate, shame it was 30 something degrees that day.  But it still tasted amazing.

When I was left alone, the kitchen got a bit of a re-organise so TM could have it's own special spot.  Then I just spent a day circling it trying to figure out what to cook first.  DH couldn't wait any longer so the next morning porridge was made. (actually twice, 1st attempt he blitzed the oats that much it was powder and ended up the consistency of kindergarten clag).

So I sent him off armed with a shopping list for ingredients for a week worth of TM cooking.  He's a good man, had a few phone calls for instructions of where to find things etc.

So I've made:
Basil and cashew pesto - EDC - tastes yum, (made with homegrown basil) have put some into icecube trays in the freezer as I it made so much and I love stirring it through pasta sauces at the last minute to give a fresh flavour

Lots of smoothies of various kinds

Zucchini loaf (veg cookbook) This I felt guilty about as my KitchenAid mixer and processor looked on like jilted lovers.  They still take pride of place as I had my stove splashback customed coloured to match the shiny red.

Spiced Rhubarb Chutney - recipe from the forum, just because I have lots of rhubarb.  Will wait and see how it tastes once it matures for a couple of weeks.  If I make again will cook for a little longer to thicken it up.

Mushroom risotto - again yum, even my toddler couldn't get enough and so far she hasn't liked mushrooms.  Had enough for lunch the next day.

Creamy tomato fettuccine EDC - added lots of zucchini and silverbeet just because they are growing madly in the garden.  Very easy, tasted great, but will cook pasta separately next time.  It's personal preference, I like my sauce on my pasta not mixed altogether.  But it gave me a good idea of what the TM can do, so noodle dishes here I come. 

I'm finding the EDC book a bit frustrating as it doesn't tell me how much the recipes serve.  Having made a few I'm guessing 4 serves??  I'm finding we have lots of leftovers.  Need to be careful as I'm trying to lost the extra baby weight, not put more on.

Thats it so far.  Still have a fridge full of food ready for the next week which will include:
Butter chicken
butter
yoghurt
zucchini strudel
and many more

Baby is now asleep so off to bed more me ...

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: My 1st TM week
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »
The shopping thread, is evil don’t go here   ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:49:35 pm »
Hi keiramax - I can vouch for fundj's sound advice!! ;D ;D ;D

What a great family you have!!!

You'll love your TMX yoghurt. I found these youtube videos really helpful.  I don't have a thermoserve, but I did find a stainless steel insulated container (like a pot shaped vacuum flask) at the local Indian grocery shop which works a treat but it's not quite the capacity of the thermoserve.  We wrap the container up in a towel or blanket and just leave it on the bench overnight and in the morning there's lovely creamy yoghurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM3h-tFsg4U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y5hKMUN4Yw&feature=related

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:58:44 pm »
Keiramax, you are going great guns - well done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:53:05 am »
Keiramax it was lovely to read of all the things you are making. Keep it up.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 06:42:04 am »
Thanks Goldfish for the links to youtube.  Just need to buy some full fat milk.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:24:31 pm »
Keiramax,

Your having fun with. TM.

I use hi lo milk for all my cooking including yoghurt.

You will soon find you will have more food than you need, this is where your freezer comes in :)

Keep enjoying

Hally :)

Mum to Crown Prince......