Author Topic: TMX Arrived 1 Jan  (Read 4177 times)

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
TMX Arrived 1 Jan
« on: January 05, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »
Well after 6 months trying to justify to myself why I need a thermomix I finally purchased one and it was delivered on new years day.  What a way to start the new year.

The final decision was easy when I burnt 6 litres of raspberry jam.  Trying to juggle a 8 week old baby and a 17 month old toddler and still take advantage of all the produced I grow at home.  I was being ambitious and had saved up all the raspberries for the week to make jam in one big batch.  Well both kids were in bed and the time was right to start. 

15 minutes into the process, the toddler woke up.  Sorted her out and back into bed, then the baby started, sorted him out only to be interrupted again by the toddler.  I knew I should turn off the jam but it wasn't until I smelt the burning that I remembered it.

Managed to rescue some of it, it has a slight caramel taste and it's the bright raspberry colour anymore.  It then took be 2 hours to clean the pot. 

So after research I discovered many recipes for jams and chutneys to be make in the thermomix, so pick up the phone and ordered one.  Hopefully now I can do things in smaller batches and set it running knowing it will turn itself off and remind me when it's done.

So, as way of a brief intro.  I have two kids under the age of 18 months and live on a hobby farm just outside of Melb.  My goal this year is to grow and harvest 80% of the fresh food we eat.  On the farm we have chickens, sheep and cows.  In the garden I'm harvesting raspberries, snow peas, butter beans, garlic, potatoes, asparagus, asian greens, lettuce, herbs, zucchini and squash.

Have been reading along in this forum for a while, usually between 2-5 am when feeding and settling the baby.  So please forgive my one figure typing and spelling mistakes as most posts will be made during the night.

Looking forward to learning more about my thermomix, sharing recipes and generally chit chat

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: TMX Arrived 1 Jan
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:07:12 pm »
welcome keiramax it does sound like you have your hands full at the moment. i never made jam,bread,curds,icecream or pastry before my  jeannie i am sure your TM will be very helpfull for you
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:27 pm »
welcome to the forum keiramax!  You do have your hands full with two little treasures so young . . but at the same time your life sounds truly blessed!! :)  I really doubt that you'll ever regret getting the TMX. You will find it an enormous help - the "set and forget" is fantastic because it allows you to attend to other pressing needs instead of being tied to the stove - and then it reminds you (persistently - never to be ignored!!! ;D) when it's done.  I do envy all your home grown produce!  Above all, enjoy all the time you can with those little ones! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:50:46 pm »
Hi kieramax, welcome to the forum.  Boy oh boy did you need the Thermomix in your life ;)  One busy lady with young children and growing your own produce means not enough hours in the day but as you will soon find out (if you haven't already) buying your little helper is the best thing you could have done.  Enjoy your time on here when you can find a few minutes and look forward to your postings to see how you are going. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:55:49 pm »
Welcome Kieramax.  What a fulfilling, but hectic, life you are leading.  Your TMX will help you so much.  We'll look forward to hearing from you when you get a free minute or two, until then, enjoy your life to the full.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

mcmich

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:02:13 pm »
Welcome Keiramax. What a lovely way to start off the new year. You really sound like you need a thermomix.
Enjoy the forum and we look forward to hearing about the recipes you make with all your home grown produce.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 09:42:23 pm »
Welcome to the forum Keiramax.Enjoy your cooking with your new TM. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:56 am »
Hello and welcome Kieramax. I know I have never once regetted purchasing my thermie. I love how I can have dinner cooking and still check on DS in the bath. (Although the other night I heard him tell his dad that he is 7 now and doesn't need mum checking on him). Have fun cooking all your wonderful home grown produce.

DG xxx
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 01:32:42 am »
Dear Keiramax,  Welcome to the forum.  You write so engagingly.  Once you get going with the Thermomix, even if you are up in the night breastfeeding or comforting your toddler, you'll have more energy to devote to the little ones because of the lift you feel from using such a brilliantly engineered product.  Go well and share here often, no matter how many fingers you use to type.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:55:51 am by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:43:38 am »
Welcome. KM.  You will certainly benefit from having a TMX.  With 2 littlies you need some help.  The timing function will be great as it will stop when you want it to.  like you, we grow a lot of our own stuff and what we don't grow we swap for eggs or jam.  YesterdayGD and I picked raspberries and made 2 lots of jam.( only make to 1 litre Mark on the Jug as when you add the sugar it will boil over,  I only add  3/4 for the amount of sugar). this made 8 med. Jars .  I then made creamed spinach,  more today to freeze,  Today made coriander pesto,  but without the cheese or garlic. Will freeze this.I use the apple wind falls to make the liquid for the Jam.   All these are made in the TMX.  You could also make the ricotta as you have a cow.  good luck with your 'produce', and how fab that the children will have fresh food,  with min. Of preservatives.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 05:10:10 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum KM. You are indeed busy. With all that wonderful produce to use the TMX will be wonderful for you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 10:31:16 pm »
Welcome Keiramax, you will love it here.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.