Author Topic: Help...am in need of expert advice!!!  (Read 7169 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Help...am in need of expert advice!!!
« on: April 02, 2009, 06:51:34 pm »
Well, I am having difficulties in making juices for a fab diet, which are delicious in a juice extractor.

This glass of juice has
5 carrots
1 apple
2 pears
It makes a lovely big juice of maybe 300ml to 350ml.

I have tried to make in THX the following and its horrible!!! :'( :-[ >:(
1 grated carrot first
1 apple
1 pear
2 big big ice cubes
half glass mineral water
1 tablespoon fructose
Disgusting!!!
It is was really bad, in fact it gave me indigestion for about an hour!!!
So I tried it with adding an orange, but still not right! Was thinking of adding a lemon too, what do the experts think ??? ??? ???

Should I give up, and resort to my extractor :-\ :-\ :-\
Amanda

Spain

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
Re: Help...am in need of expert advice!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:47:28 pm »
I don't have my TM yet so I can't comment on that, but what exactly is wrong with it, (apart from making you feel ill) - is it too thick, does it taste bad (too bitter? Too sweet?) or something else?

I want you to keep trying because I don't have a juice extractor  :D :D
Row

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:28:42 pm »
I have not tried making juice like this - will give it a go and report back. 

Will have a look elsewhere too.

Does anybody have Cyndi O'Meara's book ? - it may have recipes for juices.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:02:07 am »
nothing in Cyndis book
but in the Vegetarian book

1 small beetroot peeled and quartered
1 carrot roughly chopped
zest 1 lemon and flesh (no pith)
1 apple quartered
1 stick celery
1 tray ice cubes
sugar to taste
400-600 water

Place all ingred in bowl except for water and chop 20secs speed 6
mix for 2mins on speed 10 adding water thru lid until smooth

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:04:05 am »
I haven't made juice except for Joy's orange juice. I went to a class last night (where I met Baf65-hi) and they made a juice and they seemed to do it the way in the vegetarian book, everything in together and then add water. It was parsley and lemon, not something I would make but it had an interesting taste.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 02:19:42 pm »
Horror at the thought of using my juicer (or, to be more precise - cleaning it) drove me to inspiration  ;D

Did the recipe below, and my daughter and I loved it.  Will have to wait on your input, Bron, to hear if it's up to speck, though.  Especially as to whether it's sustaining enough, or whether the water, ice and sugar undermine it??

So, I used:

30 g sugar (organic unrefined, granulated)
handful of ice cubes (about 5-8)
1 lemon
1 orange
1 eating apple
1 pear
5 carrots (small to medium)

Made this juice twice, by the way.  The first time with more than double the sugar I meant to use (70g!), and forgot to add water until the end, when I added some  :P  That time I left the lemon peel on, but peeled the orange.  Tasted fantastic, although couldn't drink more than a small glass of it, as it was more like a yummy dessert.  Would soon become too cloying as a drink.  The 2nd time I peeled both lemon and orange, so that I could store the juice.  Tastes better (IMHO) with the peel, but you have to drink it within a couple of hours or it becomes gradually bitter.  I based the method on the Limonade (lemonade) recipe in the UK book, Fast and Easy Cooking.

1.  Weigh in the granulated sugar, and grind 5 seconds/speed 10

2.  Add ice cubes and pulse Turbo button until crushed

3.  Add the fruit, peeled & cut into chunks (didn't bother to core, left pips in.  Might try it with apple & pear unpeeled one time to see how that is.), also carrot washed and cut into chunks (didn't peel)

4.  Add filtered water to 1.25 litres level on TM bowl

5.  Put paper towel under MC or cover with a cloth, and press Turbo button 3 times for 1 second (by counter) each time.

6.  Poured through steaming basket into a jug.  Produced about 900 mls juice.

7.  Tasted it - and it was good!  Did happy song and victory dance around kitchen!!  :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:06:04 pm »
Sounds fantastic, well will try it too. Will grate carrots first and then add all other fruit and turbo and strain...keep fingers crossed. There are lots of other juices too, but I think if we get this one right, we can certainly give it a go.

Not too sure how the vegetable juices will be. :-\
How about trying
2 sticks celery
4 carrots
1 apple

or another one
2 tomatoes
1 small cucumber
4 carrots
flat parsley
Amanda

Spain

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 12:52:58 am »
Caroline,
Really all the juices should be made freshly (for all the vitamins etc) and as you can see from the juice extractor spreadsheet that I sent you, none have lemon or orange, only on 2 days there is some grapefrut, but I thought that they would taste better with the orange and lemon, although I will try making without too just in case.  But I bet the orange and lemon give it the kick that it needs. As it was so sickly just liquidised...honestly! Don't ever try it!!! :o :o :o

All the juices should make about 500-700ml each time, so we need to check that too, so that we at least fill our tummys as we won't be eating anything else ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D for a week!!! ;D ;D ;D

The melon one should be fine. Let me know when you feel ready! I hope soon, and we can post them on here...to see if anyone else would like to brave it and join us!! 5 Kilos here we go!!! :D :D :D
Amanda

Spain

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 03:28:45 pm »
Sounds fantastic, well will try it too. Will grate carrots first and then add all other fruit and turbo and strain...keep fingers crossed. There are lots of other juices too, but I think if we get this one right, we can certainly give it a go.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to grate the carrots first, Amanda, as they might be too fine to strain out the bits once the other bits of the recipe have been blitzed.  Still, doesn't hurt to have a go and see.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 05:37:00 pm »
No the grated carrots are fine. They strain great! Have tried! Have you tried! Am starting on Thursday, as its bank holiday here, and I have 4 days at home, it does make it easier! ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:58:55 pm »
What are you going to do with the bits? I was thinking that maybe they would be good in a cake or biscuits or something (for other people to eat obviously LOL) or even dog biscuits...
Row

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 11:55:56 pm »
I used my first batch for fruit spread (see recipe posted).  My 2nd batch was hen mash.  Dog biscuits is a really great idea.  I'm sure they have to be good in muffins, etc - but personally I've never managed it in a way I would describe as successful - only edible (this was from my juice extractor, pre TMX days).  If anyone else has managed it successfully, I'd love the recipe please.

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 12:06:07 am »
I can't wait until the machine gets here and I can actually try these things :D I think a pulp of fruit could be used in baking any place apple sauce was called for as long as the flavour didn't have to be "apple" if that makes sense. And also it would depend on how you did it eg did you peel the fruit, are there seedy bits, etc.

Vegie pulp could be harder - perhaps fritters, meatballs, rissoles mixed with mince or chickpeas or something. Or a dip with ricotta??

Keeping in mind I haven't even seen the pulp and it's texture, moisture content etc, these ideas might be worth looking at. I'll check out that fruit spread.

If they are all failures I have just had "permission" from hubby to get hens again, hooray!
Row