Author Topic: 3 days till Christmas and no menu yet!  (Read 7114 times)

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
3 days till Christmas and no menu yet!
« on: December 21, 2011, 02:12:36 am »
Well I guess it doesn't really matter as it is only us and so I don't need to go to any bother but it would be nice to have a yummy lunch.  Am I the only person in the world who hasn't decided what to cook yet?  Anybody else out there in the same boat?
I am seriously lacking inspiration this year, probably because it is just us.  I am really looking forward to chilling out this year and so I have hardly given it a thought but now it is getting closer I am getting worried we are going to end up eating sandwiches! 

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: 3 days till Christmas and no menu yet!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 02:31:37 am »
go out for lunch and relax  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 02:34:29 am »
Go out, no stress & all fun, plus you will get the atmosphere

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:32:00 am »
It may be hard to get a booking. The first time it was just us (right after my Mum died) I felt like you. My DH gave me a pep talk so I went about all the usual preparations and still prepared a fancy meal. I'm really glad I did as it was still special for us. I think if I hadn't done it that year everytime there was just us I wouldn't have done anything.
I guess what I'm trying to say is make a special meal for you. Have something you rarely have. It doesn't have to be turkey or seafood. Have sweets and have a drink (soft or hard) before hand with a few nibbles. You won't regret it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 06:34:24 am »
 :)doesn't matter what you have for lunch, just enjoy it, and make it special.

Last year, we stayed home with the rain, we had a cyclone, we were mopping out at 5am. Roads were blocked, so we couldn't go anywhere anyway.
Best Christmas ever...

Do just what you want to do.

Robyn ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 07:26:42 am »
You can't not do something special on Christmas Day tarosuma, if it is going to be too hot for a roast then go for the seafood option - that in itself is something special if you like it as we do.  I would always cook a little turkey roll roast out in the weber with the vegies then you have leftover meat for sandwiches and other meals for the next few days.  Make something of the day even though you are just the 2 of you, your other half will appreciate it I'm sure.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:38:59 am »
Don't worry Tarosuma, I am sure you will come up with something.  I agree with Cookie, you may find it difficult to have lunch out if you haven't booked.  Shopping can be a nightmare at this time of year, so have you thought of browsing online food suppliers to see if they have anything that catches your eye (assuming they can deliver to you in time)?

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:45:05 am »
I felt the same. The two of us are staying in a hotel in town 24th and 25th, we got a local rate, breakfast is included in the deal. I will pack a little esky with some drinks and yummy (yet simple) nibblies that we will have by the pool and we will just snack through the day and probably just read, swim, go for a walk and chill out.  I haven't decided what to make yet, but not stressing... maybe even get some fruit, ham, prawns and crackers and make a dip the night before. Might take my gingerbread men and chocolate fudge from the freezer too. But knowing we have the hotel booked makes it feel like at least we are doing something special and looking forward to it now.
Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 08:10:29 am »
This is the first year ever that we are going to the kids place for an evening meal.  Usually they come to ours.  I must say, most of Christmas day is usually spent looking at each other and feeling a little lonely until it is time for the kids to come over, so I have decided to cook a little turkey roll with roast veges at lunch time just for us two.  That will probably help the day pass fairly quickly, until it is time to go to their house and be spoiled.  Mind you, I am bringing a rather decadent pavlova with me, some ham cut off our Christmas Bone, and a few assorted nibbles, so it should be very nice.
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 09:25:34 am »
we have 24 people coming over. The basic outline I have in my head is roast for lunch, and have yet to decide on the rest. Only supposed to be 26o on the day so not too hot at all - just perfect!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 12:25:46 pm »
Last year we all had swine flu.  I just about managed turkey sandwiches with roast potatoes  ;D

Fortunately, none of us were REALLY ill and we managed to smile through the excuse for a meal but, you know what? it was still Christmas and it was still special.  It really doesn't matter what you have for lunch, just enjoy it and relax

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 11:58:18 pm »
I agree Nicola.  CP they started off by predicting 26c then it went to 28c then 29c.  By Christmas day it will probably be 35c in the shade :-))
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 01:11:29 am »
I'm very glad we're having all cold.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 10:35:58 am »
we have 24 people coming over. The basic outline I have in my head is roast for lunch, and have yet to decide on the rest. Only supposed to be 26o on the day so not too hot at all - just perfect!

Good grief CP, are you crazy?   ;D  I hope you are having some help with the cooking ...

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 04:56:51 pm »
that must be one hell of a dining table...and good luck feeding all those mouths cp!!! wowsa! 
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/