Author Topic: Why did you choose your forum name plus photos of our kitchens  (Read 507181 times)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Re: Why did you choose your forum name plus photos of our kitchens
« Reply #795 on: April 13, 2012, 12:20:50 am »
OMG Kylie I am green with envy. When we re did our small kitchen, I didn't have room for a large pantry. The two lowest shelves are on runners, so ait makes it easy to see whats in them.
I did have things built into drawers to free up my pantry space. My top drawer under the hot plates has a spice rack in it. All my spices are at my finger tips when cooking. The drawer also has 3 dividers for all my utensils like egg lifters, stirring spoons, tongs etc.
The drawers underneath it are deep enough for all my baking dishes and saucepans, and the bottom one has all my tupperware containers filled with flour, sugar etc.
As I don't have a lot of jars and cans filled with food since thermie came along, my pantry is big enough. I just wish I had more bench space.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 13, 2012, 01:00:10 am »
How times have changed andie.  It's nice to remember how things were and how far we've come.  I remember Mum having an ice-chest before the fridge era, the ice & bread being delivered by horse and cart, milk being ladled out of huge containers into whatever you left at the front door for them to fill and her shopping at a 4 Square store where the grocer chose all the items from his shelf as she asked for them.  That makes me sound so old yet I am only (!!) 65.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 13, 2012, 01:19:55 am »
Kylie,I love the pantry.

Uni, my neighbor has a walk in cool room / freezer.
Also a Thermomix, that she doesn't use as much.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 13, 2012, 01:33:50 am »
Oh Judy, memories, I'm 62 and i remember all that, even after i was married living in a small town we stabled the milk horse, after the round they would unharness him and he would walk home to us on his own, it was bottles then.  Oh and the night man.  say no more.

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 13, 2012, 01:49:29 am »
I'm 42 this year so no ice box memories but I can remember milk in glass bottles - silver cap or  red depending on whether you wanted cream on top or not. This along with the bread was delivered every morning. The fruito drove along our street each Tuesday for Mum to go out and buy the weekly supplies.

And I remember going to supermarket and having to mark the prices of each item with a black marker ready for the checkout to ring them up, bag them and put them out the back ready for Dad to drive up and pick them up (as he was up at the pub having 2 beers whilst Mum did the groceries LOL).

I recently found that our lovely green grocer is selling a local milk in glass bottles with the cream on top! I was so excited I had to buy some to show the kids.
Kylie

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 13, 2012, 01:59:30 am »
Kylie,I love the pantry.

Uni, my neighbor has a walk in cool room / freezer.
Also a Thermomix, that she doesn't use as much.

Robyn

is it full of yummy things, sneak a photo of it  :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 13, 2012, 04:12:10 am »
Thanks for your comments about my pantry tidying efforts, everyone!

Lelly how long will it stay like that, i know not long at my place lol
Uni, it had better stay that way til next school holidays at least, or I will throttle the pantry messying perpatrators!

There is nothing nicer than a tidy pantry but do you find if you put things in a different spot, you can find them 

Judy, I actually have quite a logical order to how things are laid out--like Kylie, I have asian ingredients in one spot, oils and vinegars in another, a baking area, rice/pasta/couscous/lentils etc. My daughter was helping me, but gave up in disgust when I told her she was putting the tinned fish where the coconut milk should be!  It's only when things get shoved away in a hurry or when others return them to the wrong spot that I lose them!  This is why I didn't bother wasting an afternoon cleaning out my pots/baking tins/mixing bowls/plastics cupboards and drawers.  Just figured out I'll do it when the kids leave home . . . as our daughter has recently returned to us, this may be quite a while!

Kylie thank you for sharing the pics of your beautiful kitchen and pantry and welcome to the forum!!  We are all in awe, although I should have taken a before pic of my pantry . . . I can only imagine what a mess I could make of a pantry that size!!!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #802 on: April 13, 2012, 04:16:52 am »
My poor pantry is just a floor to ceiling cupboard. Just not big enough. Not much I can do about it though.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:32 am »
Memories Judy and Aussie Brenda. When I was small we didn't have electricity (I lived on a farm out in the bush too) and we had an ice box that took huge lumps of ice and a 'safe' for the meat and a Coolgardie safe on the verandah for perishables.
When I was about 5 or 6 we got a kerosene fridge and every time Mum made icecream it would go out and the ceiling would get all black and she would have to light it again. A few years later we got our own generator and wowee, an electric fridge.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 14, 2012, 12:22:52 pm »
My uncle was the 'dunny can man' for quite some time, and my Nan's house still has bits of the back lane that was once used for the purpose. The fence is falling down and she won't do anything about it because someone will make her mow the extra lawn - of course everyone else just thinks that she should happily accept the extra land on her title after so long! I remember when we stayed with her she would have the Slades man come to deliver lots of different coloured soft drinks - very exciting to us as kids.

Our pantry is a long tall, thin cupboard that is too deep to be really useful. My DH put some extra shelves in our laundry cupboard, which is only deep enough for one and a half tins) so that is the 'extra' pantry.
Kerryn

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 15, 2012, 04:57:10 am »
Yes Kerryn I remember the Slade's man coming, when I was about 10 my Dad used to deliver cordial, big bottles of Bishops cordial to your door, I used to go on deliveries with him on Saturday's, I can't remember there being anything like lemonade back then.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 15, 2012, 06:39:19 am »
I can't remember any of this,to young maybe  :-))

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 15, 2012, 10:37:27 am »
Uni I'd like to think we are to young to remember these things but my DW who is the same age remembers some of these things.  I think the reason you and I don't remember any of this stuff is because we are new Australians.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 15, 2012, 12:46:38 pm »
Dash i like your theory lets stick to that lol

Dash how long have u been in australia? i can say i have been all my life, i am 51 and lived here for 46 years.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 15, 2012, 01:08:17 pm »
Uni I will have lived in Oz for 26 Years this October.  I am also 51.  I met my DW in Fremantle when I was a Marine on a US ship.  She moved to the US and we lived there for about 3 years before immigrating back to Australia.