Author Topic: Electric pie makers and recipe ideas ;)  (Read 251089 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Electric pie makers and recipe ideas ;)
« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2011, 12:59:55 am »
I'm not buying a pie maker but one of the gals in my book club (met last evening) has thing called a "Babycakes" baker that can be used for cupcakes or little pies.  They are smaller than the pie maker pies.
She says she has never used it and it is taking up valuable space in her small pantry and she is happy to get rid of it.
I'm giving her something in return but have to compare notes with her daughter to be sure my guess as to what she would like is accurate.

We were talking about this during the snack break and I learned that one other member had purchased and returned the Breville pie maker, calling it a "piece of junk and total waste of money" and it wasn't cheap.

So today, while using StumbleUpon - the search engine for geeks like me - I stumbled on this blog that tells how to make pies in the Babycakes thingy.

How about that, serendipity, or what?
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 09, 2011, 01:07:58 am »
thanks for the link ,i think :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2011, 01:16:34 am »
Andie you will be able to whip your usual wonderful creations - it looks very similar to the pie make perhaps just smaller, those berry pies on the link look delish!!!!!!!  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Bonsai

« Reply #228 on: October 10, 2011, 01:29:03 pm »
I tried making quiche in my piemaker for the first time today - have had it 'forever' but never thought to make quiche in it - possibly the long-lost instructions didn't include quiche way back then.

Shortcrust pastry in thermomix, filling of finely chopped ham, grated cheddar and some sundried tomatos - cooked beautifully and got munched up so fast I missed the photo opportunity. A great way to use up leftovers or just make a few snack size ones- probably good for school lunchboxes.  The recipe in the instruction manual (which I found a copy of online) makes just enough filling for 4 quiches.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2011, 03:49:41 pm »
Does everyone else's pie makers cook one or two pies quicker than others? I find the back left cooks the fastest I am wondering if it has to do with the amount of filling. Also does anyone brush the tops with milk or egg white as I would do this for oven ones.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »
Only taking a guess here :-))

If you are like me and start your pies from the back left one then yes, by the time you are up to the front right one ,the back one is already start to get hot( if you know what i mean)

I have never thought of brushing with egg like i do when baking in oven   
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2011, 10:37:25 pm »
Meagan mine seem to all cook evenly and bonsai the quiche sounds nice must try that soon

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2011, 10:58:01 pm »
I fold my pastry bottoms before I place them in the pie maker so that it ends up being quite a quick process to then just add the filling and tops (which you just sit on top anyway).  Mine all cooked evenly and no, they were nice and evenly browned so no need to egg wash Meagan.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2011, 01:02:05 am »
Hmm no I start at the front. How long do you all leave yours? I must time mine next time.
Do you preheat or put it in from cold I have been preheating as per the book

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2011, 01:13:45 am »
Meaghan I preheat and fold the base first as Judy said, they cook for 7 minutes and are lovely and golden all over

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2011, 01:17:08 am »
I preheat first and fold the pastry on the bench already to pop in the pie maker and fill up. The process only takes a few minutes and mine all cook evenly and have a lovely brown top. I'll need to give the quiches a try, my family loved them when I first got the pie maker a few years ago but haven't made them for a long time.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:26 am »
I am going to time mine as the two front ones brown eventually but they are not all ready at the same time  ??? I do prep the pastry before hand too

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2011, 08:10:37 pm »
My machine is pretty even.  I chop all the pastry ready to go first, have a spoon in the filling and work like crazy to get it all together so that they all cook evenly.  I must make some little quiches tomorrow, lovely idea!!  I am hosting a number of luncheons and brunches over the next two weeks.  I love wowing everyone in our kitchen.  My friends and colleagues think I am such a talented cook.  Rubbish, I just have a Thermomix!!!

xxx

;D

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2011, 01:03:46 am »
How have I missed this thread?  ???
I've had my Sunbeam 4 pie maker for 16 years (was a wedding pressie) and make a stack of pies every winter to stash in the freezer for quick dinners.
 This year my Mum, her friend and I planned a "pie day". We each made 3 different fillings the day before and got together with 2 pie makers and pumped out about 300 pies. I kid you not!  :o
We had a pretty good production line going, Pamaps puff pastry loved us for the day (the best pastry we think to make pies with). It took all day and we were exhausted - but we had pies for dinner!  ;)
We made Mushroom pies, beef beer and bacon pies, vege pies, meat and mushroom pies, Mum's beef pies, thai red curry pork pies, coq au vin pies, thai chicken pies, Nik's beef pies, Indian chicken curry pies, moroccan lamb pies.
We cut shapes with little pastry/bikkie cutters and put on top of pies while cooking to tell the difference and it has been great to go to the freezer and choose a few different ones for tea when there's nothing out or I'm having a night off!
Don't need to make any more yet - there's till about 50 in the freezer!
I do love my pie maker! ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2011, 01:05:04 am »
Sounds as if you are going to be very busy Lee. Let's hope some of your friends want to buy a TMX after they have seen the wondrous things it can do. Have fun :)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.