Author Topic: Fruit Kisel  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Fruit Kisel
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:48:07 am »
Name of Recipe:  KISEL
Number of People:  4

My mother was Russian and used to prepare kisel regularly and I loved it.  I've just worked out how to make it in the TMX

Ingredients:

250 g mix of raspberries and redcurrants (weight of prepared fruit)
225 ml water
120g sugar (maybe more if you have a very sweet tooth!)
3 tsp potato flour (or more if you want a firmer dessert)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 drops almond essence (optional but better with them!)

Preparation:

- Pummel fruit with a wooden pestle (or similar) to break it up and release the juices.  (I don't use the TMX to do this as it might break up some of the seeds which you don't want to do)

- Add fruit to TMX bowl with water and cook at 70, speed 2 for 15 minutes

- Push contents of bowl through a sieve (don't use the TMX to break it up as it will make the fruit go cloudy)

- Rinse TMX bowl and return fruit juices to it

- Stir the potato flour into the lemon juice and add it to bowl together with the sugar.

-  Cook at 70, speed 2 for 3 minutes

-  Add the drops of almond essence (if using) and stir thoroughly (you can use Thermie to do this at speed 2 for a few seconds)

-  Pour into a glass bowl (not strictly necessary but it looks nice!) and leave to cool.   When cool, put in fridge to chill.

-  Serve with pouring cream gently stirred through it.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

You can use any fruit for it - if using strawberries you would probably need more fruit and maybe less sugar.  If using cranberries you may need more sugar.

The texture is meant to be quite runny but if you want you can add more potato flour.   Potato flour is good because the fruit doesn't get cloudy.  If you can't get hold of potato flour, you can use arrowroot... but it's best not to use cornflour if at all possible.

(Sorry about the poor photo - I need to take lessons from JulieO :) )
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:32:08 pm by Katya »

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Fruit Kisel
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:45:45 pm »
This sounds really nice Katya, The flavor would be divine I would think. I have never seen potato flour, Where would you get it from?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:56 pm »
Many Supermarkets have potato flour.  When I see it I buy a couple of packets. it keeps well I use it in my Lemon Feather cake.  And make a substitute mix with potato flour and cornflour for GF KFC mix.  This recipe looks good,  thanks Katya.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 01:18:10 pm »
I struggled to find potato flour here in the UK but eventually located it in a health food shop.  I did enquire about it in our local health food shop.  They said they didn't stock it but could make a special order of it.   Only thing was it was a minimum of 6 1 kg bags  :o :o :o

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 01:26:30 pm »
I think my fussy one would like this Katya  ;)

Dede my local Coles stupidmarket stocks potato flour and also arrowroot flour. They are in little bags shaped like a cylinder - can't remember the brand - will try ad remember to have a look when I am there next :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 02:21:49 pm »
Lovely recipe Katya,just the sort of dessert I love  ;) I know you don't like shopping in Tesco's but they sell Potato Flour because that is where I bought my packet.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 02:30:27 pm »
Thanks CC.  Waitrose used to stock potato flour (in the kosher section  ??? ???) but stopped selling it and a friend pointed me to the health food shop which is a lot closer than Tescos.   If I had failed there, I might have had to end up in Tescos (but may have tried Sainsburys first  :D :D)

Let me know how it goes if you try it....  I've just amended the recipe because I realise I didn't instruct on where the almond essence gets added.  Whoops ..  and also changed it to add more SUGAR rather than more fruit if using cranberries.

Too many senior moments this morning .   Sorry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:32:59 pm by Katya »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 02:35:54 pm »
Thanks CC.  Waitrose used to stock potato flour (in the kosher section  ??? ???) but stopped selling it and a friend pointed me to the health food shop which is a lot closer than Tescos.   If I had failed there, I might have had to end up in Tescos (but may have tried Sainsburys first  :D :D)

Let me know how it goes if you try it....  I've just amended the recipe because I realise I didn't instruct on where the almond essence gets added.  Whoops ..  and also changed it to add more SUGAR rather than more fruit if using cranberries.

Too many senior moments this morning .   Sorry
If you can't get it in future Katya I can always send you some via the Royal Mail :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 02:59:09 pm »
Thanks CC, that's a lovely offer.   :-* :-* Think I'm alright now but I'll bear it in mind for the future.

Do let me know if you're having trouble sourcing anything and I'll see whether I can find it up here in the frozen wastelands of the north .... not that it is at all frozen today  8) 8)  :D