Author Topic: Lunchbox friendly Muesli bar *NUT and EGG FREE*  (Read 17696 times)

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
Lunchbox friendly Muesli bar *NUT and EGG FREE*
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:15:48 am »
I have converted this from a recipe I found in a magazine. I can't remember which magazine as I cut out the recipe.  

It uses seeds instead of nuts to get that crunchy 'nutty' flavour.

Ingredients:
50g butter (sometimes I use oil if I want to go dairy free)
100g Raw or demarara sugar
70g golden syrup (or honey)
90g pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
90g sunflower kernals
25g sesame seeds
1 WeetBix, crumbled or 30g oatmeal (I dont buy WeetBix so I substitute with the oatmeal instead)
45g rolled oats
75g self raising flour
50g dried cranberries

Method:
Preheat oven to 170oC. Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper, letting two ends overhang for handles. Place butter, sugar and golden syrup in the  *: and  ^^ at 60oC for 3-4 min at Speed 2, or until sugar dissolves. Cool mixture for 5 min in the bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well at reverse/Speed 2 for 20-30 seconds. Press mixture evenly into the prepared tin. Bake for 25 minutes until set and golden brown. Cool completely in the tin then lift onto a cutting board and cut into slices. Store air tight.

members' comments

JD - I had all the ingredients except dried cranberries Millipede so replaced them with goji berries which I found need to be pushed down into the slice before baking so as not to burn.  It is a lovely slice, thanks so much for this recipe.  Can't stop at one piece though.

CC - These are delicious and very moreish, thanks for the recipe Millipede. They looked exactly like Judy's picture except I did use cranberries.

Chookie - These are very yummy. Had some made by Judy. Can recommend them and will be making some. Thank you Judy and Millipede.

JD - I made this recipe for the 3rd time today and tried something different. Once I tipped the mixture into the tin, I used another piece of baking paper to press it down firmly then left that piece on top during the baking process, only removing it for the final 5 minutes.  After it had cooled a bit in the tin, I upended it onto a bread board. The top was cold but the base was still a little warm  so it was much easier to slice through that side with the result that the lines were much cleaner. The slice is not as crumbly to eat either. 
This time I used a dried berry mix with sultanas and had bought the wrong oats so the flakes were much smaller (Uncle Toby's Quick oats instead of traditional) which may also have helped bind it together more than the larger flakes.

djinni373 - I think I'll add this one to favourites book.  Great recipe Millipede, thank you.

caquince - was a winner with the family.  Did not find it too crumbly - I used some baking paper over my palm to compress the slice as firmly as I could before baking and it appeared to work.  Used some unsalted almonds in place of some sunflower seeds as I did not have enough. I was thinking that it was kind of a nutritious recipe but it is probably closer to cookies than anything else; it resembles Anzac biscuits!  Yummy! Thanks for the recipe - will def make again!

cookie - I made this yesterday and pressed it down as Judy suggested. I also used 'instant oatmeal'. It is lovely. We found it a little sweet so next time I'll reduce the sugar. I cut it while it was still warm so it didn't crumble too much. I enjoyed eating the bits that fell off anyway.

Blissammy - I made these using the Tupperware T-bar set so they were pressed into muesli bar shape/size molds then tipped out onto the baking tray before going in the oven. They came out perfect & they are absolutely delicious! I think they are going to become a lunch box staple in this house! Love Love LOVE them!!

Karen-F - this recipe did not disappoint!  I like that it uses seeds for 'crunch' making them perfect for school lunchboxes. Given the mix includes pepitas, sunflower kernels, sesame seeds and cranberries, the colours really 'pop'!!!  I added chia seeds because I love them and used oatbran and GF flour as I prefer to cook wheat free. Thanks for sharing.

Bambi - love them. Will reduce sugar next time though.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:33:10 am by judydawn »

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Lunchbox friendly Muesli bar *NUT and EGG FREE*
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:34:48 pm »
This looks great  ;D we are also coconut free at our kindy due to an allergy. It is hard to find a nut egg and coconut free recipe, so thanks :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 05:58:12 am »
I had all the ingredients except dried cranberries Millipede so replaced them with goji berries which I found need to be pushed down into the slice before baking so as not to burn.  It is a lovely slice, thanks so much for this recipe.  Can't stop at one piece though  :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:54:33 pm »
These are delicious and very moreish,thanks for the recipe Millipede. :-* They looked exactly like Judy's picture except I did use cranberries.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 10:50:48 pm »
These are very yummy.   Had some ,  made by Judy.  Can recommend them and will be making some.   Thank you JUdy and Millipede.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:21:29 am »
I've converted this to a failsafe version today, but need to tweak it a little more, as it was a bit crumbly, will update when I have a firm recipe in tow!

Looks to be a winner with everyone so far though :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:26:01 am »
LeeJ, if it helps any, the posted version crumbles a bit too when you cut it but it is so delicious, you don't worry about it.  I get to eat all the crumbled bits in the bottom of the container at the end ;)  Was yours so crumbly that it just fell to bits or only when it was cut?

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:48:18 am »
This is similar to my version which also crumbles a bit.  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:25:30 am by judydawn »

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 01:13:43 am »
I couldn't cut it, it crumbled too much, if that makes sense, whereas both of your pic's look like you've successfully cut clean lines.

Ds thinks they are great, might just decrease the dry mix a smidge more and see if that helps :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 07:22:25 am »
I made this recipe for the 3rd time today and tried something different. Once I tipped the mixture into the tin, I used another piece of baking paper to press it down firmly then left that piece on top during the baking process, only removing it for the final 5 minutes.  After it had cooled a bit in the tin, I upended it onto a bread board. The top was cold but the base was still a little warm  so it was much easier to slice through that side with the result that the lines were much cleaner. The slice is not as crumbly to eat either. 
This time I used a dried berry mix with sultanas and had bought the wrong oats so the flakes were much smaller (Uncle Toby's Quick oats instead of traditional) which may also have helped bind it together more than the larger flakes.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 05:43:55 am »
Made these today for school lunches next week. Now have to make another lot because I caught DD(15) sneaking out with 3 pieces so I checked the container and there are now only 3 pieces left :o

I think I'll add this one to favourites book.  ;D  Great recipe Millipede, thank you.  :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline caquince

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 09:53:08 am »
Made this recipe today - was a winner with the family.  Did not find it too crumbly - I used some baking paper over my palm to compress the slice as firmly as I could before baking and it appeared to work.  Used some unsalted almonds in place of some sunflower seeds as I did not have enough.

I was thinking that it was kind of a nutritious recipe, but it is probably closer to cookies than anything else; it resembles anzac biscuits!  Yummy!

Thanks for the recipe - will def make again!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 07:37:51 am »
I made this yesterday and pressed it down as Judy suggested. I also used 'instant oatmeal'. It is lovely. We found it a little sweet so next time I'll reduce the sugar. I cut it while it was still warm so it didn't crumble too much. I enjoyed eating the bits that fell off anyway.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Blissammy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 05:49:48 am »
I made these yesterday for the kids lunch boxes. I used the Tupperware T-bar set so they were pressed into muesli bar shape/size molds then tipped out onto the baking tray before going in the oven. They came out perfect & they are absolutely delicious! I think they are going to become a lunch box staple in this house! Love Love LOVE them!!

Offline Karen-F

• View Profile
    • The Thermomix Diaries
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 03:41:09 am »
Hi

I just made this recipe and it did not disappoint!  I like that this recipe uses seeds for 'crunch' making them perfect for school lunchboxes :)

Given the mix includes peipitas, sunsflower kernels, sesame seeds and cranberries, the colours really 'pop'!!!  I added chia seeds because I love them and used oatbran and GF flour as I prefer to cook wheat free.

Thanks for sharing :)

Kind regards
Karen
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:16:28 am by Karen-F »
Karen
Facebook: The Thermomix Diaries