Author Topic: Need ideas  (Read 9982 times)

Offline natmum

• View Profile
Need ideas
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:57:54 am »
??? My DS has started new medication but it has affected his appetite and now I need to find things to have ready to feed him ..but they need to be healthy too , we need to keep his weight up so I thought I would post here as you are all very wise ladies with great ideas. Thanks.
Nat

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Need ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:22:50 am »
What about quiches, or zucchini slice ect.

healthy low fat muffins.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 05:10:05 am »
Natmum I have taught children in the same situation and it is hard. I guess things will have to look appetising to him. Would he like to eat things he makes? Milk shakes etc with fruit in.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:35:06 am »
Hi natmum, sorry to hear about your DH's appetite turnaround. I have always loved my food, but many years ago I was pretty sick and I can recall going without food for 24 hours at one time and not even noticing, I just lost all interest in food and nothing took my fancy.  What you need is something appetising but loaded with goodness and taste.  I think it was actually the pain killers that depressed my appetite, but I was rattling round like a pill bottle, so it could have been anything!

Could I suggest that you take a look at Quirky Jo's blog on quirkycooking.blogspot.com she is a fount of information and helpful ideas.  Although a lot may be connected to food intolerances, I think it is a good place to browse and see if any ideas come to you.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 05:44:30 am »
miso soup, what about the Milo on this forum, grated apple/cheese/carrot, soups, soft boiled eggs with toast soldiers for dipping, homemade low fat dips, yoghurt and fruit
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 05:50:05 am »
CP63 I've have never made miso soup, and I know I should because it is full of all good things - is it easy?  I know there was a discussion on here about it recently but for some reason I didn't follow it.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:48:54 am »
Natmum how old is he? Does he like chicken? An easy and healthy small meal is chicken loaf mix (with lots of veg & even tinned beans zapped in the thermie) cooked in muffin tins and then dipped in his favourite sauce or soup. Leftovers muffins can be reheated in the microwave as a hot snack or eaten cold with "finger" salads. Let me know if you want the recipe. Also his favourite smoothie in the fridge maybe.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:00:49 am »
I'm with Cookie1 in that making their own goes a long way e.g. smoothies. His own machine and recipe book and his own  growing patch in the garden would help.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:34:35 am »
Some great ideas here Natmum - Chicken soup is a wonderfully healthy meal too if you can get him to eat it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline natmum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:41:23 am »
Great ideas...he is 7 ..is really hard as the things he really loved now also don't interest him..even tried Macdonalds today..still not taken was definately thinking the milo on here as it contains heaps...just brought some Pentavite to see if maybe on that it might improve...It has been over 2 weeks now since we have had 1 meal eaten! Lunches have not been eaten at school for months but usually once his medication wore off he ate me out of house and home but not now!! trying trying..tonight chicken and creamy veg pie!! Tomorrow chicken and sweetcorn soup!..will update you all..Thanks again
Nat

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 10:58:05 am »
What do the doctors say Natmum?  Good luck in your efforts, I'd be tearing my hair out if I was in your situation.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 12:40:32 pm »
I know exactly where you are coming from Natmum, mine is 17 now and till suffers the same thing on his meds  :( though not as bad now as when he was younger.

Custard and tinned fruit (out of season) or stewed in season or frozen berries were one of his foods that started his eating again. I got to the point that what ever he would eat that was ok (apart from junk food obviously!!) but if it was breakfast time and he wanted custard that was what he got.

Good luck I know how hard and worrying it is. My DS was under 50kg until he hit 15 and then puberty kicked in  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 01:17:31 pm »
When mine were little I used to sneak multivitamin drops( called abdec  I think) and egg into milk shakes.  Mind, my baby was 17 recently ,so it was a while ago.
Denise

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:13:46 pm »
Would be easier to give you some suggestions if you told us what foods your husbands likes or dislikes.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 03:38:04 pm »
another thing is, if you are trying to promote good eating and the person in question only wants to eat junk food....do not provide junk food...therefore, the only thing they will eat will be good food either for snacks or meals, and either sort of doesn't matter cos its good (thats until you kick into regular meals).

I absolutely abhor seeing young kids with boxes of salty biscuits and snacks. I have heard mums say "well at least they are eating something!". Yeah right (wha-evvor! - just a cop out in my books). I have always had home cooked biccy's etc for my kids, but have always had lots of fruit as well. I have never made a big song and dance about it because by nature I love making sweet things, but I would say to my kids"have something good, before you have something bad". We talk alot about food, and the crap thats in food, and what we can get out of certain foods, how it affects what we eat individually. But, we have a discussion about it and in the end depending upon the age its up to the individual or the parent. The food we eat is SO important...and natmum, also make sure the little one is drinking lots of water, and I really don't see how you can go wrong!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:42:58 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand