Author Topic: Marinated and Grilled Tuna Steaks  (Read 8833 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Marinated and Grilled Tuna Steaks
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:39:38 am »
Recipe converted from http://helenrennie.com/recipes/fish/grilled_tuna.html

Ingredients:
1 lemon
3 cloves garlic
2cm fresh ginger
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp chili pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 tuna steaks (about 3.5cm thick)

Preparation:
Peel the skin from the lemon (try not to include too much pith). Add peel to TMX bowl with garlic and ginger. Chop on speed 6 for 4 - 10 seconds (my ginger was frozen so you may need less).
Scrape down the side of the bowl. Add remaining ingredients (except tuna) and combine on speed 4 for 5 seconds.
Place tuna into a ziplock bag and add marinade. Remove all the air from the bag and seal it. Ensure that all of the tuna is covered by marinade and place in the fridge for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from fridge 30mins prior to cooking to return to room temperature.
Remove tuna from bag and dry on paper towel.
Heat a large frying pan to medium. Add two tablespoons of marinade mixture to fry pan when it is heated. Add the steaks (shake a few times to ensure the fish doesn't stick) and cook for 2.5 minutes on first side. Turn and cook other side for 1.5 minutes. This will sear each side and leave the centre raw. According to the original recipe, if you want to cook it more "cover the pan, turn down the heat to medium and cook flipping the steaks half way until desired doneness. "

We served with some mushroom, fetta and spinach risotto.

Delicious!! And this from a person who doesn't really like fish.
Kerryn

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Marinated and Grilled Tuna Steaks
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:02:18 am »
I will have to try this one, I have heaps of Tuna steak in the freezer from my Father and brother who went fishing over Easter and caught 10 huge Tuna. Will let you know what we think. Thanks for converting
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:44:36 am »
Something I have never tried is fresh tuna but it must be nice if you enjoyed it KerrynN as a normally non-fish lover.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:50:33 pm »
I have always enjoyed tinned tuna but this was something else! It was really, really tasty and so quick too - only 5 minutes to cook, and I only marinated the 30 minutes at room temperature (rather than putting in the fridge for extra time).

We will definitely make this again (assuming I can get the tuna on special again of course). Even my super fussy DS9 enjoyed it!
Kerryn

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:03:35 pm »
I haven't really tasted fresh tuna either. Hopefully I will one day. I'm actually seeing it for sale more now.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 02:56:22 pm »
not generally a lover of tuna, fresh or tinned but will have to try this..the marinade looks good  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:06:46 pm »
I love fresh tuna - even eaten it raw as sashimi or sushi  :) :)

To me, the difference between fresh tuna and tinned tuna is a bit like chalk and cheese.   I do use the tinned stuff for pasta bakes and so on, but like fresh tuna steaks seared in a hot pan for only a few minutes each side so that it is still uncooked in the middle.  You do have to make sure the tuna is pretty fresh if you're cooking it this way. ;D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:28:51 pm »
said im not a lover but real reason is getting good quality fresh produce..only frozen or fish not so fresh sold here..im not a fan and am incredibly fussy when it comes to meat but more so with fish.  I think most things if you have ever tasted fresh and prepared well are good (most things lol)  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/