Author Topic: My special awesome cheese sauce  (Read 163567 times)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
Re: My special awesome cheese sauce
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 08:39:33 am »
On the same wavelength chookie. I'm having over cauli as well with roast pork for dinner tonight.

Offline daska

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 05:06:47 pm »
Made this tonight and it was the perfect consistency for macaroni cheese! Went down a storm. I don't think I've ever made a sauce that smooth by hand LOL   :)
Off the south coast of England

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 03:49:19 pm »
Made this today and is too delicious for words!!!  Will never make cheese sauce any other way again ...

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline wombat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 09:26:41 pm »
If asked what was my favourite thing about my thermomix, I would have to say this cheese sauce!!

I have passed it on to so many people and coming from someone who makes it at least once a week, it has been the best timesaver. I only do a half quantity for au gratin type of recipes but a whole recipe for lasagne. I always make it a tad runnier and use semi skim milk. I have never had a fail with it yet.

Gone are the days of standing and stirring and checking for thickness and watching for lumps. lol

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 11:04:40 pm »
I've made this one twice and have to agree it is indeed a lovely cheese sauce and the only way to make it.
Having said that, I need some advice as to why mine is too runny.  I have used both cornflour and plain flour to see if there is any difference plus I have tried cooking it longer and that didn't work either. I have now made a note on the recipe to only use 400 mls of milk next time to see if that will give me the consistency I want for au gratin vegies and even pasta. I want it to cling to the vegies and pasta not pool in the bottom of the dish and leave nothing on the top.  I know you need it runnier for pasta as that soaks it up but mine is still too runny. I seem to be the only one having this problem as I have never read of anyone else commenting about it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 01:34:19 am »
Judy, this is maddy's twin responding, maddy is too busy painting!

Could the problem be the cheese perhaps  ???  Do you use the quantity listed, or add 200g cheese like maddy does.  She uses 200g coles brand block of tasty cheese, grated in the processor.

I will pass on your response to her  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 04:38:37 am »
nice try miss now get back to painting!!!!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 05:17:45 am »
Made this today to pour over a pasta bake.  Delicious.  A bit runny but no complaints really.

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 06:33:06 am »
I only ever make a half batch and pour over steamed cauliflower and it's still heaps.  It usually sits around waiting for the cauli to cook and it's never a problem, always throw in a handful of chopped parsley at the end.  So easy for a quick meal.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 08:02:03 am »
Hi Maddy's twin sister, tell Maddy I use the lesser amount but will try her quantity next time.  How about you go and give your sister a helping hand in the bedroom, she needs it  ;)

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 09:23:18 am »
Mine was certainly nice and thick, but I did put it in the Varoma whilst the broccoli cooked which may have helped.  I used mostly Isle of Mull Cheddar with some Cheshire cheese.  Will try with Parmesan next time.

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2011, 08:38:30 am »
I have made this several times since I first tried it in June. It is now in my personal recipe book as my cheese sauce of choice.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2011, 01:44:45 am »
Made this last night with a combination of tasty and parmesan cheese and it was fantastic. I only made half the recipe but cooked for the full lenght of time and after sitting in the TMX for 5 minutes while I par cooked the cauliflower it was very thick. Just had the leftovers with my lunch today and still tasted great.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 12:09:24 pm »
i have made this a few times but each time with whatever cheeses I have in the fridge...both hard and soft cheeses...works well and just add different vegies or a little sauteed onion at times too!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 02:53:34 am »
my girls are in love with you... :-*!! They are now getting all their favourite lunches cooked up for them - most use this sauce!! I have used it in their: salmon mornay, macaroni beef (off this site), mac cheese, bacon and pasta bake ..... anything that needs a cheese sauce - and they have requested (& had!!) it on a few things that don't usually have a cheese sause over them - but all have been surprisingly nice: sausages cut into pennies w this sauce poured over, chicken drums and steamed veg, - they seem to enjoy it more than gravy!!!!! But if they're going to eat it, then who's complaining???!!
Also I often do add 1/2 - 1 C pureed cauliflower with the milk - just to get more unnoticed veg into them! ;)
I use the recipe as it is, see no reason to change it! 100% yum!
:D