Author Topic: Food Safe Packaging for Kid's Lunches  (Read 11440 times)

Offline JenniCB

• View Profile
Food Safe Packaging for Kid's Lunches
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:16:15 am »
Hi All,

Have been reading Cyndi O'Meara's books lately and a lot of her articles. Yesterday I saw her in an interview where she said that clingwrap contains additives 320 and 321. I don't use it much but was horrified. So it lead me onto wondering how other mum's wrap their kid's sandwiches, and how they package their food for school. Also wondering just how many of the kid's water bottles out there are BPA free and what other people use?? Would love to hear other people's lunchbox/water bottle/packaging ideas.

Thanks,
Jen
Mum to 5 gorgeous kids, 3 bio aged 22,20 and 15, and 2 adopted aged 7 and 2.

Living in Western Australia

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
Re: Food Safe Packaging for Kid's Lunches
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:29:29 am »
I use stainless steal all the way, lunchboxes, drink bottles, snack containers, sippy cups water taste heaps better out of s.s drink bottles, I alsp use glass baby bottles for my EBM. I buy it all online theres a few places you can grt them on line green ur life, natures child etc

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:33:54 am »
Drink bottles - screw top type ones by Sistema -bpa free

Lunches - well we don't generally do sandwiches (they love them at home but hate them at school) so have wraps, salad etc.
I have loads of different lunch box options including some of the big more expensive ones.
But mostly we use
Lunch - the rounded smaller two compartment klip-it, that way they have their wrap/crackers/bread etc in one side with say a piece of lcm, with some wetter things like lettuce, cucumber, olives, sundried tomatoes, gherkins, in the other.
Though use a more sandwich shaped box when they have puff pastry rolls. and then just add a couple of drier extras.

Little pots for seed mix, dressing if a lot salad etc.
Thermos for hot pasta/soup etc (only dd2 takes this)

small containers for morning tea and fruit break.

I blogged a few days lunches at the end of last year.
http://thermomixmeals.blogspot.com/search/label/lunch%20boxes

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:55:47 pm »
Today I just bought some BPA free lunch boxes made by decor. They are small enough for snacks and as my two are at preschool, they don't actually eat a lot yet. I know, different story in about 10 years time! I also has the system BPA free and leak proof drink bottles with the screw caps.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:55:16 pm »
I use Stainless steele and sistema BPA free drink bottles as well as the small containers for lunches. I have used for years the Tupperware sandwich keepers but something keeps nagging at me to do my research and as yet haven't had the time. If anyone has any info re tupperware would love to hear it. Clingwrap is banned in my house - much to everyone's disgust as they now have to find a container AND a lid to put leftovers away lol  :o :o
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:16:15 pm »
We use these sandwich bags there are a fewoptions on this page
http://www.oneearthoutlet.com.au/Products/Lunchbox,-Bags-and-Accessories/default.aspx?pageid=12&productcategoryid=2439&template=
Nalgene water bottles like this, http://store.nalgene.com/category-s/29.htm

Also smash brand are bpa free for snack and sandwich storage
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:18:02 pm by Meagan »
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:59:05 am »
Please, please put your child's name in a prominent place on their lunch boxes. One of a teachers' horrors is all the lost lunch boxes with no names on. :'(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 02:13:40 am »
Kmart has lots of BPA free options this year for drink bottles, containers, lunch boxes, ice bricks etc. Katmandu stock really lovely BPA free drink bottles in different sizes.  We are buying BPA free plastic containers this year, but I am hoping to start buying stainless steel containers online when we are a bit more financial (when I go back to work :-)).

My son and I have just finished covering his new snack containers with special stickers.  He really struggles to have everything in containers when his friends have their food in packages (chips, roll-ups, fried noodles etc). Grrrrrr!!!!! I am hoping his special containers (and my yummy homemade food) will make things easier for him.  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 02:39:28 am »
These Easylunchboxes are pretty good.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline JenniCB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 02:55:10 am »
What about zip lock bags? Does anyone know if they are food safe? I know they're not great for the environment if I'm using them everyday in the kid's lunchboxes. But my consultant mention them lots of times for storing stuff in the freezer.

Offline JenniCB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 02:57:57 am »
Ooooooh I love those easy lunchboxes CP63....check em out everyone. They're not too badly priced either. On a different note, how many posts do I need to take me from being a newbie?? I'm an achievement kinda girl!!!  ;D

Offline JenniCB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 02:59:46 am »
Uh oh! They did look great until I realised it was an american site  :(

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 03:12:55 am »
I can't see a problem with ordering from an American website, apart from taking a little longer to receive. We've had our lunchboxes for about 3 months now, and think they are great. (They are also not woossy looking for menfolk to take to work either)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 03:27:44 am »
What about zip lock bags? Does anyone know if they are food safe? I know they're not great for the environment if I'm using them everyday in the kid's lunchboxes. But my consultant mention them lots of times for storing stuff in the freezer.

I'm pretty sure ziplock bags aren't food safe (as in BPA free).  We still use a few ziplocks (and wash and reuse them), but we try to use BPA free containers wherever possible.

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 03:43:36 am »
I use the tupperware sandwich keepers too, Faffa and from what I've read, they are meant to be BPA free. The kids also take smaller Tupperware containers for fruit and snacks for their recess. They use the thermos insulated stainless steel drink bottles. Drinking from plastic bottles does taste yucky- probably all the chemicals leaching out into the water! My kids also use these neoprene lunch bags (www.builtny.com) as they are lead free. They don't have a problem with losing lids or containers, and actually hate it if I very occasionally have to wrap something in glad wrap because there is no room in their lunch bag for another container. I do like the look of the easy lunch boxes too, keeps everything together....may just need bigger lunch bags.....

JenniCB, I think it's 50 posts to junior member.