Author Topic: Dry Beef Stock Substitute  (Read 7537 times)

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
Dry Beef Stock Substitute
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:34:05 am »
hi all
i am on a mission to make my own dry onion soup mix.. i have so far started drying onion and garlic for it but the recipe i am looking at is asking for beef stock powder. we dont use commercial stock powders cause of all the colours and artificial stuff in them but not sure what we can substitute it with in the recipe.  i was thinking of just adding some salt and dried herbs?
has anyone got any ideas or has anyone made dry onion soup mix? i would be interested in any suggestions
thanks in advance!
Emma from Victoria

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Dry Beef Stock Substitute
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:51:37 am »
i just put up a chicken seasoning recipe today that totally looks and tastes like the chicken stock I used to buy maybe that'll give you an idea.  ;)
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=5083.0

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:50:03 am »
Maybe beef jerky?

Where you been em?

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:07:55 am »
This might be a long process but how about making the beef stock concentrate from mwoc rolling it out and then dehydrating it and blitzing it in the TM?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 10:45:47 am »
thanks nay-nay will check that out
hi gert been busy, moved house, had lots of sickness in our house, not bn doing enough cooking!  but we are all on the mend so i am getting back into it!
hmm beef jerky didnt think of that will have to have a go at drying my own jerky.
hi meagan, that might be a go also will look into that. i wonder how long it would take to dry out? i have never made the beef stock conc is it quite moist?
Emma from Victoria

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 10:50:24 am »
I have only made the chicken one and put a little more veg in by accident and it was quite a thick consistency almost like a thick paste. I put it in the fridge then rolled it out with a. Rolling pin between two pieces of baking paper and cut it into stock cube size pieces and froze them. I reckon it would work well if you rolled it out really thinly  ;D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:31:02 am »
em, did you get your recipe from one of these sites which Cornish Cream posted in the Beer & Beer thread.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Dry-Onion-Soup-Mix-Substitute-223023
and
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Homemade-Dry-Onion-Soup-Mix-110331
might come in handy sometime.

I've made the following batch using my frozen little balls of beef stock concentrate.
Mixed together
8 tsp of the frozen concentrate (which I blitzed to a powder whilst still frozen)
16 tsp fried dried onions from an Indian shop (the packet was so big I keep this in the freezer too so they don't go rancid)
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper

Makes 86 grams so I split it into 3 ziplock bags and froze it because I'd used frozen ingredients.  That's not a problem though, they take up hardly any room.  Only problem is that the beef stock was rather salty (I only decided to freeze it when it was getting close to its use by date whereas I should have cut the salt content when I made it and froze it in little balls right from the word go).  So the bottom line is that it is a great recipe but just too salty and that is easily rectified when I make my next batch of beef stock.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline em

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 12:10:01 pm »
thankyou judy!
i was using the second thread for my recipe and didnt come across the first one, it sounds heaps better thankyou very much.
your recipe sounds good to, i am drying out some onions as we speak for the dried onions and the powder so i will try and make the stock conc, with less salt and give the recipe a go! wish me luck  :)
Emma from Victoria