Author Topic: TM will be here this week..what are the best things to start of with?  (Read 7849 times)

Offline natmum

• View Profile
Hi everyone
Thermomix is coming this week and my lovely consultant will cook with me the usual start off stuff. But then what would like to do most meals this week so some ideas would be great. Thanks
Nat

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: TM will be here this week..what are the best things to start of with?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:47:46 am »
Do make the vegetable stock early as that is a requirement for rissottos and soups. Lots of people make the beef stroganoff, but do look on the site here for the adaptions.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2417.0
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:15:49 am »
Chicken & mushroom risotto is an easy, yummy one, there's a few other ideas here on my blog for newbies - and there's so many good recipes on the forum!  Have fun!!  ;D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline natmum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:52:32 am »
Thanks as we only try to shop once a fortnight and it will be tomorrow or tuesday so need to plan.
Nat

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 12:13:08 pm »
I'd get chicken breasts to do a varoma steamed chicken dish (flatten the chicken and then add whatever you want - ham and cheese, spinach and feta, cheese and sundried tomatoes etc and roll up and cook for 30 mins) with rice and veg (and all in one meal).

Love the stroganoff.

The teriyaki from meat on the menu (a new fav from tonight)

Honey soy chicken wingettes/drummettes

stir fry.

A soup

Bread

tortilla's

Some pantry/fridge items - The vegie stock concentrate, tomato sauce, mayo, curry paste - whatever you are used to using at first.

the creamy salami pasta from the edc.

Butter chicken from the indian book.

lasagne? bolognaise? shepherd's pie?

steamed fish/salmon with rice and veg

the sausage, mash and gravy alll in one dish.

I'd also get things like bread flour, sugar, flour, rice, whatever there is in the baking type aisle so you can make staples.
Nuts, dried fruit.

depends what sort of food you eat, and what your family situation is.

Offline pandateddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »
I think you should make sorbet (mang is my favourite) and the fruity dream. The sorbet goes a long way if you have hungry kids & is really refreshing on a hot day (not that we are having much of that here in Melbourne right now!)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:39:55 pm »
I did the vegie stock concentrate first. Have to make the mashed potatoes, custards, sorbets first!!
Beef stroganoff is great.
Also, teriyaki chicken or mongolian lamb (both from meat on the menu cookbook)
Swedish meatballs in the Varoma
Soups are great to start with, especially the cauliflower soup or tomato soups in the EDC
When you get better acquainted with you new member of the family, try bread dough, cakes etc.
I made a batch of strawberry jam yesterday which was divine as I had just been to the Beerenberg strawberry farm in Hahndorf and picked beautiful strawberries there. I had so many left over after the family polished off a fair few whilst picking them, they were too good to waste.For a city slicker, I felt very CWA after the jam making!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:51:17 pm »
I would recommend Bafs creamy chicken. Its a recipe from the forum and is definately my favourite. It uses vege stock, so make sure you make some of that. I would also recommend buying some of the ingredients for bread, such as bakers flour, yeast etc. The pizza's are great, and so are isi's bread posts. Best of luck with your new best friend!

Offline natmum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 05:48:07 am »
Thanks
Now I have heaps of ideas.
Zan we are a family of 4 two fussy kids but they eat most of what you suggested. Am hoping to get them into more salads this summer too.
Nat

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 07:04:08 am »
I blog everything we cook in it so that might give you some more ideas of things your kids would eat (all stuff mine eat).
Agree on baf's chicken dish - even if my kids are the only ones in the world who don't like it!!
And def sorbet (depends where you are - freezing here in Sydney now) but so lovely on a hot day. I was doing sorbets as after school snacks the other week.
Also if you have kids - how about snacks - the LTM's (rice bubble bars - recipe on here) are really popular with the kids. As are the apricot/date ball type things. And of course all kids love cookies, cakes (the easy choc cake in the edc makes a nice easy cake and not too big - there is a double size recipe on here but that's too much for us unless there is a party) etc. Mine love shortbread and dd1 likes to make it. I also make muffins (the orange ones are so simple and superb, we also love the cheese and zucchini ones - all great for lunch boxes - both recipes on here)

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 07:51:32 am »
Agree on baf's chicken dish - even if my kids are the only ones in the world who don't like it!!

Zan, your kids dont like this!! OMG you poor thing. This has to be my number 1 dish

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:09:54 am »

Zan, your kids dont like this!! OMG you poor thing. This has to be my number 1 dish

I know about the only thing they don't eat (well 2 out of 3) they don't like the cheese sauce. Though (esp the one that really didn't like it) they like cream cheese and dips made from cream cheese, just not as a sauce, lol. (though dd2 isn't big on any sauces and doesn't even have gravy with a roast!!!!)

Still plenty of other sauces that are so easy to make in the tmx.