Author Topic: Hello thermomixers  (Read 6269 times)

Offline hana

• View Profile
Hello thermomixers
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:13:39 pm »
Hi. I'm Hana from Adelaide and new to the forum. I bought my TM a month ago and have been so busy cooking, I've barely slept. (Done plenty of eating though!) Also been busy converting my favourite recipes (mostly successful) so thought I might have a go at sharing a few. Just a quick question. I often have a problem with my sorbet being too runny and a bit heavy. Has anyone else had this problem? What am I doing wrong??

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
Re: Hello thermomixers
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 01:13:54 pm »
Hi Hana, welcome to the forum.  You've definitely come to the right place for assistance. Everyone on here is only too willing to offer advice.

From my very amateurish experience, I think you just need to add more ice.  It does depend on the type of fruit you use. Some require more ice than others.  If you use purchased ice or ice from an ice machine you also often need more because there is a lot of air in it, so not as much density.

Dont forget to help mix it around with your spatula.

Good luck!
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:17:04 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum Hana.Great to hear that you are having fun cooking with your new TM.I look forward to seeing  and tryiing your converted recipes. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:51:12 pm »
Hi, there welcome.

I'm a newbie too - my Thermie (Thelma) only came yesterday!!

Lovin' so far tho'

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:06:15 pm »
Hi Hana, welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to your recipe postings.  I don't make sorbet enough to offer any advice - only made it twice in 2 years and it was fine. As Jodi said, it may well be the lack of ice.  The recipe says 2 x 350g of ice cubes and with the size of my trays that takes 3 trays to weigh the 700g required.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:09:01 am »
Welcome hana - yes, would love you to post your successful recipes (and photo's if you are able). We hope you find this forum helpful and inspiring and look forward to hearing how your cooking is going.   :)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:19:57 am »
Hi Hana, Welcome to the forum.  I'm from Adelaide as well, so hope to meet up at one of the get togethers.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 05:22:25 am »
Welcome, looking forward to seeing your converted recipes.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:30:36 am »
Hi and welcome Hana. I'm not a great sorbet maker either, but a friend did have that problem recently and as she was using berries that were frozen she added more berries and that solved the problem. I guess it was more an icecream than a sorbet.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 03:42:19 pm »
Welcome Hana for the sorbet you can use up to 400g of fruit and then add half the ice combine on speed 10 till slushy like add the remaining ice and combine using the spatula, look through the hole in the lid and watch the mixture. If it is moving freely drop ice cubes in the vortex one at a time until the vortex slows down keep using the spatula to mix thoroughly when the vortex is really slow you will have a thicker consistency. Hope that helps. 
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline shanberry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 11:16:00 am »
Hi Hana - Welcome!! Im from Adelaide as well, and have only just joined the forum. My daughter has taken over the sorbet making, bit Im sure Ive have to become good at it as Im training as a consultant! Look forward to sharing some recipes with you!

Offline hana

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 10:21:56 am »
Oh thanks so much everyone that is so helpful. I had a pizza and sorbet night on Saturday night (to show of my thermie skills) and used your tips and made perfect strawberry and peach & mint sorbet. I think like judydawn sugested i was just throwing in 2 ice cube trays and my trays weren't the standard 350ml. So an extra tray of ice - perfect. And the peach and mint combo was amazing! Thanks again  :-))

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 03:39:50 am »
Belated welcome - glad the sorbet is sorted
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.