Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
Hi!
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »
Hi!  I received my new Thermomix yesterday and am very excited.  For the last few weeks I have been reading this forum as part of my pre-purchase research - conducted partly to see if I could find anyone who wasn't happy with theirs - very difficult. 

I first saw a Thermomix demo several years ago and thought it was wonderful but I couldn't really justify it.  Then I went to another one a few weeks ago, and although nothing has changed, I just thought, why not.  I was quite surprised that my partner said, "If you want one, just get one." ... until he casually mentioned that he could really do with a new laptop!  Fair enough.

Since yesterday evening I have made pizza (yum), lemon custard (yum yum), porridge (not successful, although I managed to more or less rescue it, but I gather I'm not the only one with porridge "issues") and mushroom risotto (delicious).  I am feeling quite sad that I have to go to a conference over the weekend and won't be able to play!

Am really enjoying this forum - thanks!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 03:04:14 pm »
Welcome Marilyn. In a few short weeks you will be wondering why it took you so long to justify buying a TMX. Bad luck about this weekend but don't worry -your TMX will wait patiently for you to come home
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:58:19 pm »
Hi Marilyn welcome to the forum.It sounds that you are having fun cooking with your new TM.Lots of wonderful recipes for you to try when you return home from your conference here on the forum.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:34:42 pm »
Welcome Marilyn, you have followed a similar path to mine of a few weeks ago, although thanks to this forum I avoided the porridge issue and have perfected this (I should say that DD became the masterchef of porridge).

Have fun!

Robyn - aka johnro
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline schmendy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 12:37:49 am »
Hi Marilyn :) I also got one a couple of days ago and have tried the same recipes. Maybe it's the newbie path? ;) Hope you have lots of fun discovering what it can do

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 02:03:54 am »
Good onya gals and lookward to future posts.  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 02:25:08 am »
Hi Marilyn, welcome to the forum.  Loved the trade-off - TMX for a laptop - at least you both got what you wanted.  Sounds like you are off to a good start with your cooking and it must be hard to have to drag yourself away from the machine at the weekend. Enjoy your conference, sometimes they are fun!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 02:40:35 am »
Hi and welcome Marilyn. Perhaps your partner will have a play with the TMX while you're at the conference. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 07:20:30 am »
Hi and welcome Marilyn. Perhaps your partner will have a play with the TMX while you're at the conference. :D
And you could borrow the laptop so you can keep checking out the forum.  ;) ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 07:29:51 am »
And you could borrow the laptop so you can keep checking out the forum.  ;) ;)
Good idea!

I bet your DH will be experimenting with the TMX while your away!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 07:43:05 am »
Hi  to you Marilyn. Welcome to the forum. We all have had "issues " with something. That is the fun  of it. enjoy.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 06:41:57 am »
Welcome - I waited for ages before buying, but was glad when we got it.

Enjoy your new best friend  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
Update
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 04:06:04 pm »
So I have now had my lovely Thermomix for two and a half weeks.  I haven't had the delivery demo yet, and this is the first weekend I have been home to enjoy it fully, so it is still early days, but I have used it every single day I think. 

When I bought it I thought the two main ways I could recoup the cost of it (eventually!) would be by baking our own bread and avoiding takeaway from the local noodle bar when I'm tired and can't be bothered cooking.  So I am very happy to report that after only a few tries I have a bread recipe we both love, and recently when we got home from work late and my partner asked, "Would you like to get takeaway?" I replied, "No thank you, I'd like to cook in my Thermomix."  Hope it lasts!

He has shown little interest in cooking with it, unfortunately.  However, he has mastered drying it up and putting it back together properly, and that will do for now.  I've read too many stories about disasters with machines that have been used without the bases, etc.  Hopefully the cooking will come.

Thanks to all the contributors to the forum, especially the regulars and experts - it's great!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 01:07:09 am »
Be thankful that hubby can put it back together. Mine is left in pieces when it comes off the drying rack.  :(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.