Author Topic: Computer Problems  (Read 8074 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Computer Problems
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:56:07 pm »
I've had a huge computer issue. I installed a different operating system (Linux Ubuntu) and because my computer hadn't been set up properly in the first place, it wiped my entire hard drive! My external back up drive also failed.

I'm still coming to grips with that, not thinking to hard about it, or I might have a major breakdown myself.... :-X
I got it fixed, sort of, by my computer guru, and spent about 10 hours putting stuff back on. Then the hard drive died. :o

Computer guru managed to get back most of what I'd put on and I'm back online, but have to buy a new computer. :-))

I'm using Mint, a Linux operating system. For those who understand computers, this is the other option to use instead of Windows. It's wonderful, all free with free software packages and lots of cool things. You don't need to use a virus programme or firewall with it because it's so secure.

So, what have I lost? 5 years of Photos, Music, all accounts paid and invoiced for the last two months, all my recipes (lots are printed off and in files), my Skinflint formulae (but I have them all printed off), saved emails and contact list, every single document that I've created and saved and probably a million other things that I haven't thought of.

I imagine my whole July will be spent getting everything back on to the computer again. But, it's cool, I've lost hard drives before, I'm an expert!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:04:23 pm »
Oh MJ, that sounds dreadful.  I certainly couldn't cope with all that but then I don't do all those things you do on yours. I take my hat off to you though for your attitude of 'she'll be right Jack'.  Good luck with what is ahead of you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 03:10:20 pm »
Ohhh no!!! Thinking of you and wishing you all the best with all of that MJ! Lost all mine at the end of last year and it was a disaster! Crossing everything for you!!  :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 03:13:22 pm »
Oh dear - I am with you though, you can't stress about what you have lost as you can't get it back... sad as it is.

*mental note to oneself ... get onto you brother AGAIN about your external hard drive!!*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 03:38:27 pm »

*mental note to oneself ... get onto you brother AGAIN about your external hard drive!!*

Do it now!!! ;D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 01:12:57 am »
Good luck. At least you didn't lose the bookmark to this forum ;)

Admin

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 02:44:41 am »
MJ how awful. I'm afraid I am still one of those oldies who has to have paper copies of almost everything on the computer. I can't quite bring myself to keep stuff on there. I burn all my photos to disc. Very old fashioned of me.  Good luck with your mammoth job. I wouldn't even know how to begin.  :-* :-* :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 03:10:28 am »
Oh that sinking feeling is all too much of a memory here MJ.... I love my external harddrives (yes.. I have two. :P) and backing up... whilst annoying when I was at work, is something I just DO now.  :-))

Here's to a quick recovery!  :-*
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 03:48:53 am »
Oh Megan. Been there done that. The last time before doing anything I bought an external hard drive. Best $100 I ever spent. Then  I bought a 4 GB flash drive for 10 bucks to put my address book and secret women's stuff on it. Better 10 bucks believe me.

Computers ain't easy.

When I have to go to a guru I find that most have learned by themselves with little training. Interesting.

Good luck,
Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 06:39:45 am »
MJ,  really feel for you.   Think I would have a nervous break down.  You are so practical about the whole thing.  I am like cookie and print off any thing that might be interesting.   Is there anything we can do for you? 

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 07:53:09 am »
What a bummer MJ. Such bad luck to lose internal and external HD at the same time. I found that I didn't think of some things until I needed them when my laptop fried. Since then I have put all our photos on CD as well as external HD . It's a time consuming thing to replace everything as well. Good luck MJ. Hope you get everything back.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 08:57:31 am »
LOL - I think I have my boys baby photos saved in about 5 different places (including on CD's at my parents house in case our house ever burns down).  I had a fright when we first came home from Ethiopia with our eldest son and thought I had lost all of the photos of our first days together.  I actually cried at the computer shop  :o :-)).  Now I am probably a little OC about it, but I'm not taking any chances.

Thinking of you MJ.  :( 

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 09:36:55 am »
oh no.
Thinking of you.
 :)
I have my major files backed up automatically to overseas for about $4 a month.
Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 09:38:11 am »
oh no mj, i feel for you, you have suddenly given me major motivation to backup to the external harddrive tonight.   i hope it all gets sorted for you soon
Emma from Victoria

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 07:20:27 am »
Hi MJ.  Thanks for the motivation.  Sent DH out yesterday to get a external harddrive.  Everything backed-up now.  Have been meaning to do this since Black Saturday. >:( >:(  Now on those gastly summer days when we have to leave I can just pack the drive, along with the special boxes with most precious things in them.  Hope things sort out for you.