Author Topic: EDC Mashed Potato question?  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Russell

• View Profile
EDC Mashed Potato question?
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:33:07 am »
Hey All,

Doing our first lot of mashed potato. Following the EDC recipe exactly. 5 minutes into cooking, and the boiling milk is spitting out out the top of the TMX. Should we leave the measuring cup off while it's cooking, or something else? Taking the cup out seems to be helping, but still kind of like a lava pool bubbling out the hole.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. Russell.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: EDC Mashed Potato question?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:15:15 pm »
Hi Russell,

I no longer follow EDCs recipe for the potato. Instead I peel and chop potato which goes into the basket that fits inside the bowl, water at the bottom and can steam veggies in the varoma at the same time.

Generally 20min Varoma Temp will do it.

Then when cooked, drain water from the bowl and place the butterfly in, tip in potato, butter, milk & seasoning and blend on speed 2 .5 until desired consistancy is achieved.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Purplehat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:41:46 pm »
I follow the recipe, but we use rice milk instead. I wonder.. we don't get any bubbling out the top.. do you use half milk and half water? Perhaps try that?

Sorry I can't be of more help! It's one of my favourite recipes - makes life so much easier!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »
I do what ILB does, cook them in the basket these days. Diced for mashing, halved for serving plain or precooking to brown in a sprayed frying pan. Easier to clean the bowl too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:21:48 pm »
I learned the following method which has worked well for me:
Cut potatoes into smallish cubes, place butterfly over blades, put on the scale, place potatoes in Tm and add half the weight minus 100grs of milk, some butter, salt and any other seasoning you usually add. Programme 25 minutes, 100 on speed 3 and ignore the bubbling of milk which comes up for the first 5 or 10 minutes. Normally, at the end of cooking time the consistence is perfect and needs no further processing.
Barbara

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:04:06 pm »
Thanks all.

The bubbling died down after a couple minutes and I put the MC back in. The potatoes seemed cooked at the end, but the finalo result was a bit gluey. Also we have about 920g potato, not 1Kg. I think 850g mght be a more liquid consistency which we prefer. Apart from that, and it tooka  bit moer blending than the recipe said to get the lumps out (didn't use the butterfly), it seemed OK.

Cleaning was  bit of a pain though, as some of it baked to the bottom of the bowl a bit. I gues sthis is where doing it in the basket would be better.

Russell.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:27:06 am »
basket idea above sounds less messy. did you read in the EDC that if the potates are undercooked, they will be gluey. not noice.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:30:43 am »
Being one to try new methods, I gave Gralke's version a go this morning.  Think I cut them too big (5cm cubes) as the TMX wanted to jump around like a mad-man for the first 10 minutes at least.  I had to stand there holding it down  :o :o :o What do you call smallish cubes Gralke?  Like Russell, some of the mash baked on the bottom of the bowl too which is the reason I do prefer to cook them in the basket and just mash them in the bowl with the butterfly.  Mine was a bit runny too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 07:48:46 am »
basket idea above sounds less messy. did you read in the EDC that if the potates are undercooked, they will be gluey. not noice.

Yeah I did read that. Of course, even with the TMX running at speed 1, the potatos mash themselves beefor the true "mash" stage anyway - at least the ones below the blades. Basket is definitely sounding like it might make more sense.

Russell.