Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8926235 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #1050 on: July 19, 2009, 12:23:57 pm »
Sunday seems to be emerging as "cook-up" day in our house.  I made brown rice and buckwheat pancakes with mayple syrup for breakfast (from the veg. cookbook) and our usual apple and orange juice.  I forgot to make some bread for lunch, so I whipped up a batch of savoury scones (still can't believe that I can make scones!!!).  While I had the oven on for the scones I put a batch of choc chip cookies in as well.  When late afternoon visitors arrived I whipped up a garlic and herb dip (from the EDC) to go with some organic corn chips.  For dinner tonight we (hubby thankfully helped) made butter chicken, steamed rice and naan bread.  It's the first time we've cooked the butter chicken and naan and we are hooked!!!!!
Chelsea  :)

stacelee

« Reply #1051 on: July 19, 2009, 02:22:58 pm »
Toms had a very quiet weekend in our house.  I finally gave in to my flu/bad cold and my fourteen year old (well nearly fourteen year old...his birthday is tuesday) and stayed out of the kitchen.  I did make buttermilk waffles yesterday morning with tom but apart from that....his jug has been sitting on the draining board all weekend.  I have plans for bread and cookies tomorrow and maybe something for dinner if my tastebuds ever start living again.  Need to do something with all the lovely fresh vegetables I bought last week!....before they walk out of the fridge by themselves.

Take care
Stacey

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #1052 on: July 20, 2009, 03:45:14 am »
Made a cream sauce with flour, butter, chicken stock and heavy cream.  Added a tablespoon of tomato paste and a bunch of fresh tarragon.  Tossed the sauce with some cooked pasta, and topped it off with some grilled salmon.  Sorry, no pictures.

Offline trudy o

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 20, 2009, 08:04:57 am »
ILB - my Taco seasoning is:
2tsp chilli powder
1tbl ground cumin
1tsp paprika
1tsp sugar
1tbl onion powder
1tbl garlic powder
1tsp dry oregano
1/2 tsp salt
Mix all ingredients together and store in jar - use 3tbl of mixture where you would normally use a packet of supermarket stuff.  It helps with the recipe that I have a dehydrator so I dry my chillis, onions, garlic and oregano fromn the garden before putting in TMX to make a powder

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 20, 2009, 08:14:02 am »
Made a cream sauce with flour, butter, chicken stock and heavy cream.  Added a tablespoon of tomato paste and a bunch of fresh tarragon.  Tossed the sauce with some cooked pasta, and topped it off with some grilled salmon.  Sorry, no pictures.
Sounds lovely Warren ;) Must it be tarragon or can you use another herb? I've actually never tasted tarragon.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 20, 2009, 08:21:01 am »
2tsp chilli powder
1tbl ground cumin
1tsp paprika
1tsp sugar
1tbl onion powder
1tbl garlic powder
1tsp dry oregano
1/2 tsp salt
Mix all ingredients together and store in jar - use 3tbl of mixture where you would normally use a packet of supermarket stuff.  It helps with the recipe that I have a dehydrator so I dry my chillis, onions, garlic and oregano fromn the garden before putting in TMX to make a powder
This must only make about 4 or 5 tablespoons of seasoning Trudy o - so do you really need 3 tablespoons in lieu of a packet one? This would mean you wouldn't have enough left for another batch.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 20, 2009, 10:24:38 am »
Just 'whipped up' a quick pumpkin soup.  We had friends round for morning tea and when they went to leave, the battery on their car was flat. So while it was on the battery charger we had pumpkin soup and some garlic pull apart bread (from the freezer) for a nice warming lunch. It is freezing here today with wind, rain and hail stones. Not Perth weather at all. Lucky I'm going to Melbourne for a few days on Friday! I'm sure the weather will be better.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 20, 2009, 11:03:15 am »
Don't count on it Cookie1 - Melbourne is colder than Perth ;D ;D ;D  Have fun though. ;) ;)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 20, 2009, 11:15:42 am »
ohhhh i havejust made for the first time the Instant Banana Ice Cream....ohhhhh it is so good, i hope the kids like it too! otherwise I might have to eat the whole bowl myself!

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #1059 on: July 20, 2009, 01:58:08 pm »
Sounds lovely Warren ;) Must it be tarragon or can you use another herb? I've actually never tasted tarragon.

Originally, I was going to make it with dill instead, but my wife doesn't like dill much.  I'd say you can throw any fresh herb in you like, that goes well with fish.  I'd think rosemary would be too strong here, but might go well if you were topping with chicken instead.  Basil might work, chives, chervil, lots of options.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 20, 2009, 06:51:38 pm »
Today we made two batches of bread destined for the freezer as I had fresh yeast - then made the cumquat marmalade - which needed lots more cooking than 20 minutes to get anywhere near setting point. I will check in the morning and boil up in normal pan if still runny.  I have been making cumquat marmalade for years but this is a much simpler method so thought to try it out.

Cheers off with my other hat tonight - giving a talk on Windows 7 to the local computer club

Shayla in still sunny Cape Town

Offline agpest

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 20, 2009, 07:18:05 pm »
2tsp chilli powder
1tbl ground cumin
1tsp paprika
1tsp sugar
1tbl onion powder
1tbl garlic powder
1tsp dry oregano
1/2 tsp salt
What type of chillies are you talking about? I make a taco seasoning but the proportions are quite different and I wondered if you use a different type of chili. The chili con carne recipe in the recipe book looks quite bland compared  to mine so maybe your chilies are stronger
From the desert,
Gayle

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #1062 on: July 21, 2009, 03:36:04 am »

Cheers off with my other hat tonight - giving a talk on Windows 7 to the local computer club

OMG - is that a new version after Vista ??  :o :o I still haven't worked out how to fix Windows 98    :-)) :-)):o
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 21, 2009, 11:36:30 am »
We (well me and DH not the kids) are having chicken corn and leek pie out of the Budget Busters booklet, no leeks tho so onion, celery and zucchini
Ive just picked all the cumquats off my tree, but I dont think the TM is going to make it any quicker really unless i just chop the cumquats in it so it will be chunky rather than sliced....I think I'll still end up cooking in a pot as I dont trust the TM to work!!  Sorry!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #1064 on: July 21, 2009, 12:05:49 pm »
2tsp chilli powder
1tbl ground cumin
1tsp paprika
1tsp sugar
1tbl onion powder
1tbl garlic powder
1tsp dry oregano
1/2 tsp salt

Thanks Trudy!  I'll give this a try over the next few days and might even multiply the quantities out to make a bigger batch. And I'll also make Brazen's version and multiply out.

That's great that you can make your own onion and garlic powder using your fresh garden ingredients!!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog