Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9122947 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #4245 on: January 07, 2011, 10:35:03 am »
Glad you liked the recipe Judy!
Also, forgot to say I made the chicken meatballs  from the EDC today as well as all the other stuff I listed before and everything was rated a total hit. I cannot say how much I love my thermie, even though my husband loves the food, I think he reckons I'm slightly nuts, even though he thought all the food today was brilliant. To be able to make dips, breads, pizza etc from scratch in such a short period of time is amazing. My only disappointment is that I couldn't eat everything I cooked because of my Coeliac disease, but my family and guests, who are all non- coeliacs, enjoyed the food immensely! :) :) :) 
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: January 07, 2011, 11:02:06 am »
We have some extra kids here tonight for sleepovers so this afternoon I have made pizza dough for home made pizza's, Quirky's flourless chocolate brownies (best looking ones I have seen yet) and mango sorbet. I used heaps more mango than the recipe said (about 550g) as I didn't want to waste it and it is really good! Just a tip for others: use more fruit in the EDC sorbet for a richer taste.

Just about to grate cheese for the pizzas.

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: January 07, 2011, 11:18:20 am »
I had my first go at making strawberry jam this afternoon. Turned out pretty well I think. It's still cooling though so will see better tomorrow.
Made the salted caramel maple ice cream yesterday and had our first taste after dinner tonight. I thought it was nice but was a bit too salty for my liking.  I used unsalted butter and 2 tsp sea salt. I think I would half the salt next time. Am I the only one who finds it a bit salty?

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #4248 on: January 08, 2011, 02:26:34 am »
Mmmm strawberry jam.  That would go well on the English Muffins I just made  ;)  I only had plum jam and apricot jam...so guess what?  I had one of each  ;D ;D

I converted a recipe from the web and then used some great tips from chookies Sour Dough English Muffins (http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4162.0) on how to cook them.  Sour dough is a goal I have on my list for 2012 and I can't wait as I love sour dough.  However, in the meantime, a normal white english muffin is just what I was after.

I'm also straining the yoghurt I made the other day to make yoghurt cheese.  I've found an interesting recipe for cheesecake where labneh and normal cream cheese are interchangeable (providing the labneh is well drained) and if it works I'll be sure to post it here.  It uses a method I've never used for cheesecake before so it will be interesting.

Anywho...I hope everyone is having a great day  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: January 08, 2011, 07:43:36 am »
They look really delicious. Well done.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #4250 on: January 08, 2011, 08:45:07 am »
Thanks Cookie, I was really, really pleased with how they turned out.  DH has requested bacon & egg muffins for breakfast tomorrow - not sure if we can pull that off before an early start though.  Heading off to Taronga Zoo first thing in the morning.  Can't wait, I love it there, and now DS1 is old enough to get excited by it too.  Happy times!

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:02 am »
Blimey, can't believe I haven't contributed to this thread for a couple of days - been too busy cooking! :)

Thursday I made, hazelnut chocolate spread, bread, scones, mayonnaise and my first batch of butter.  I wouldn't normally make butter as its just not cost effective but I had some cream on its sell by date so it got used ...

I've ordered a Pullman Loaf tin which makes sandwich shaped loaves so I'm switching all my bread to home made - not entirely sure I'll do it all in the tmx but I'll give it a go ...

We have a friend with us this weekend helping us clear out our garage so tonight I'm cooking a beef vindaloo from the Indian cookery book.

My dh found out how much I paid for the tmx this week so I'm kinda thinking I better do some cooking for him ...  ;)

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: January 08, 2011, 11:05:02 am »

My dh found out how much I paid for the tmx this week so I'm kinda thinking I better do some cooking for him ...  ;)

Nik

LOL.....that's gold Nik!  :D
Don't worry, your not alone.  I didn't offer that information  voluntarily either  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:50 am »
It's been a TM flurry here. Childrens birthday party and a BBQ. Capsicum and tomato dip, isi's portuguese rolls (3 batches), invented a chicken marinade, butter, berry cordial, lemon/orange sorbet, failsafe magic cordial, apricot nut balls, birthday cake, cream cheese icing, smoothie, garlic butter, sushi vinegar, french onion dip, herb and garlic dip, snack sticks, KFC chicken, cream of mushroom soup. Thanks to everyone who supplied recipes via the forum. It certainly made my job much easier. 
Sue from North Queensland

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:35 am »
Sounds great party food Sue - nice to have a helper in the kitchen for these busy times  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: January 08, 2011, 12:20:04 pm »
We had your crowd pleaser Judy - mince curry and Jo's banana choc nut icecream for dessert. Finished with a cappuccino and some cookies and cream fudge still in the freezer from Christmas.  :)  :)  :) Desserts are going to have to end in this house when all visitors leave - so flood waters need to recede quickly!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:37:12 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: January 08, 2011, 12:32:17 pm »
Good one Robyn.  So that fudge freezes well then?  I still have some here waiting for a friend to pop in and get her batch plus the leftovers are for us but I ration it out to myself very sparingly - like 1 tiny piece a week!  Be great if I can freeze it - it might last me a year at that rate  ;D ;D

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: January 08, 2011, 07:34:16 pm »
Judy the only way the CC fudge or any sweet (apricot balls etc etc) for that matter lasts any time in our house is in the freezer - at least that way one needs to think a bit more before delving into the freezer for that 6th, 7th..........piece of indulgence. But to your question it keeps beautifully, in fact I very much prefer the frozen taste sensation.  :)  :) I ended up making about 12 batches - forgot the glucose in a batch and the end result was more fudge like and less smooth and creamy like caramel, but the hoards over Christmas did not miss a beat when consuming the said batch.  :)  :) BTW what great self control you have JD :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:35:41 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: January 08, 2011, 08:20:59 pm »
As I said earlier I made the vindaloo today from the Indian Cookbook today for dh and a friend - both of whom are curry connoisseurs.  DH said it was "nice" (he's not known for his compliments) but the true connoisseur said it was a really lovely curry.  I did heat it up a bit and used a good 5 green chillis.  My portion was cooled down substantially with a LOT of coconut cream (home made in the tmx of course!)

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: January 09, 2011, 03:22:28 am »
Not exactly cooking but today I have made a double batch of laundry powder and a batch of deodorant from this forum. To use up a couple of farfallina's zucchini & chicken skewers, for lunch I cooked some pasta, made a peanut sauce and tossed it all together.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:00:18 am by judydawn »