Author Topic: Red Kidney Bean Curry  (Read 10570 times)

Offline natslim

• View Profile
Red Kidney Bean Curry
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:40:19 pm »
Name of Recipe: Red Kidney Bean Curry - converted to TM from a Smitten Kitchen recipe

Number of People: 6

Ingredients:
5 cm ginger, peeled and cut into coins
125-150g onion, quartered (1 medium onion)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 serrano chili (optional)
70g extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
8 ounce can of tomato sauce (about 225 g)
1 plum tomato, diced
3 cups boiled red kidney beans, drained--reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid, or 30 ounces canned red kidney beans, undrained*
chopped fresh cilantro and yogurt for garnish

Preparation:
Mince the garlic, ginger and chillies by dropping them on the running blades at Speed 8. Chop the onions by dropping them on the running blades at Speed 4 1/2. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula. Add the oil. Sauté 3 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed 1/MC off.

Add the tomato sauce, salt and remaining spices and sauté 5 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed 1/MC off.

For TM 21 users, insert the butterfly. Add the kidney beans, 1 cup water or bean cooking liquid, and chopped tomato and cook 15-20 minutes/100˚C/Speed 1/MC off. If you have a TM31, I think you could use the reverse blade direction instead of the butterfly. If mixture starts to fly out of the lid, set steamer basket over hole. Serve over rice or with naan, garnished with yogurt and cilantro.

Photos: No photo yet. I'll take one next time because I'll definitely be making this again.

Tips/Hints:
* I used dried Christmas lima beans that I prepared in my slow cooker. Soak 1/2 lb beans overnight in a brine of 1.5 tablespoons kosher salt to 2 quarts water. After soaking, drain and rinse beans. Add beans to slow cooker with 1 bay leaf and 4 whole garlic cloves. Add enough water to cover beans by an inch or two. Cook on low until tender, about 8 hours.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:47:17 pm by natslim »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Red Kidney Bean Curry
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:34 pm »
sounds wonderful!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:42:12 pm »
Sounds really good - it could even go in the rather sparse Vegan section  ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:56:49 am »
Congratulations on learning TMX speak  :-* :-* :-*  Sounds delicious.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.