Author Topic: Almost a Newbie from England  (Read 6828 times)

Offline Shally

• View Profile
Almost a Newbie from England
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:40:56 pm »
Dear All

I have been to a Thermomix demonstration today and was 'blown away' - "where have you been all my life?"

Alas I did not order one - I came away from the demonstration determined not to make a rash decision and to work out 'the cost of Christmas' before agreeing to the outlay for the purchase.

However, I have thought about nothing else since and have been searching for something 'exactly like this forum' - hurray! to help support my wanting for this machine and to help me justify the purchase as I do not know anyone personally (apart from the demonstrator) who owns one.

Just by reading some of the posts I can see how well loved and utilised the TM is, and I am extremely encouraged by this.

I would REALLY like one before Christmas, but in order to do that I have to ensure that I have Xmas sorted for my two teenage children and lovely man first + additional family and friends.

Fingers crossed, here's hoping it won't be too long before I can join in and contribute.

Every good wish

Shally

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Almost a Newbie from England
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:10:27 pm »
Welcome welcome welcome. With two teenagers you can certainly justify this lovely Christmas gift for them. Just say smoothies, ice cream, cakes, breads,butter, jam. It will be a gift that keeps on giving all year. Just tell DH (dear husband) it will SAVE money.

Also visit. http://www.ukthermomix.com/recindex.php and http://www.britishlarder.co.uk/recipe/thermomix/

You deserve this machine. Just do it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Shally

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:25:18 pm »
Dear Gretchen

You are so right  :D, because the children would benefit with the suggestions you have mentioned + so much more.

DH has already agreed that it can be 'our joint christmas present!' which is wonderful. My husband did actually join me for the demonstration and he was VERY impressed so there was no convincing to do with regards to the benefits the TM could bring.

DH would even 'dabble' and try his hand at curries and risotto's - Double Bonus! get the machine and a cook thrown in for free  ;) I think the 'no washing up' was the absolute clincher for DH - his face was an absolute picture!  :o :o :o

I'll keep you posted as to my progress.

Every good wish

Shally

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 12:02:33 am »
Sounds like you both are sold. Mind you I had nightmares for abut a week over spending the money but I got over it! It is a lifetime gift to yourselves. Enjoy. Try the risotto with prawns (shrimp) for a real treat. Easy peasy.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:14:31 am »
Hi Shally and welcome. Now that you found us it won't be too long and you will be ordering your TMX as you will find so much here that will inspire you!

I know how you feel about Christmas though so get your kids sorted, then you and DH are already sorted with the TMX - too easy!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:22:56 am »
Hi Shally, glad you found us. Bad timing going to a demo just as Christmas is approaching - it is a very expensive time of the year but like DH's idea of the TMX being a Christmas gift to each other. If you work full time though, Christmas usually means holidays and this means you can really cook up a storm whilst getting to know your TMX. Hope you order soon and can't wait to hear the next chapter of your story. ;) ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 03:40:28 am »
Welcome Shally. I can understand your trepidation about purchasing just before Christmas. If you have a TMX you will be able to make lots of lovely gifts for your friends that will cost you very little. Things like curry paste, dukkah, sauces and chutneys, not to mention jams etc.

I found that after I'd had my machine for a couple of months the initial cost became very secondary to its usefulness.
Let us know what you decision is we would love to share it all with you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 03:40:59 am »
Welcome Shally - don't feel bad - it was about 5 years between seeing one and buying for me!  But mainly because I saw it overseas and couldn't find it here until much later.  But then it was still 2 years later.  Now I wish I had bought it before.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 05:19:08 am »
Welcome Shally. I can understand your trepidation about purchasing just before Christmas. If you have a TMX you will be able to make lots of lovely gifts for your friends that will cost you very little. Things like curry paste, dukkah, sauces and chutneys, not to mention jams etc.
This is soooo true. The savings on homemade gifts for family is amazing. Those ones "who have everything" usually love something edible- jams, lemon/passionfruit butter, truffles, the possibilities are endless. You will find some fabulous recipes on this forum. I understand the financial issue but if you can - go for it as soon as you can and you will have time to familiarise yourself with the TMX's capabilities in time to make those Christmas gifts.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:42:36 am »
People probably think that as another appliance it is very expensive. But when you consider the range of ways in which it can be used, and the types of healthy dishes that can be easily prepared - it makes every other appliance in your kitchen that can only do one thing look ridiculously under used -- and then the TM looks ridiculously cheap! Every kitchen should have a TM on the bench.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Dublin Girl in Oz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 05:59:01 am »
Welcome to the forum

I read heaps here before buying my TMX - which I now have about 6 weeks.  I love it - use it everyday for something.  I have two teenager girls and 9 year old boy and they love everything that comes out of it!  My fussy 16 year old daughter reckons the spag. bolg. sauce tastes better from TMX - she wouldn't eat it before!  They love the milk shakes/lassi/sorbets/biscuits/muffins/cakes - everything has been a hit!  My husband loves it too and feels it has been worth the money.

Looking forward to hearing your adventures with TMX - either before of after Xmas!

Sylvia - Melbourne ;D
Sylvia - Melbourne

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 04:49:44 pm »
Welcome!
My DH thinks I'm a nutter for spending so much money on my TMX, but he's certainly appreciating the bounty that has come from it!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 08:40:25 pm »
Oh Shally, the same happens to us all! We all see the demo and fall in love! I was dreaming about owning one, and every day telling my DH .....oh if only I had a THX i could make this and that and save this and that, and eventually he was soooo tired of listening to me....after 2 weeks........he agreed! And even he has to admit that we have made a huge saving on our food bills, almost 25% weekly, which when you add up, I reckon it was paid for in 3 or 4 months! If you decide, we can all assure you that you will not regret! I even took mine on holiday for a week, as I certainly could not be a week without my Thx! Good luck!
Amanda

Spain

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 01:23:33 am »
Welcome Shally,  I know that you will be just over the moon when you get your TM.  I haven't regreted my purchase.
Cheers
Trudy