Author Topic: Oh no!  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
Oh no!
« on: June 30, 2013, 02:40:26 am »
I want to try another bread recipe, DH likes fresh baked bread but thinks I've gone overboard and has suggested I've never made a 'normal' loaf (forgetful soul). The problem is I'm down to my last 400g of bread flour and have no more yeast!

Shopping tomorrow. What is your least favourite staple to run out of?

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 02:50:34 am »
Hmmmm - can think of quite a few - however . .- eggs . . . .  maple syrup - nothing quite like a steamed piece of lovely salmon together with steamed vegetables such as sweet potato, zucchini, etc. - all done in the varoma - then decorated with a pinch of good quality salt flakes, freshly ground pepper - a sprinkle of Herbie's Chilli Hit and a good whack of maple syrup - heaven on a plate! ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:28:45 am »
I gave this some thought and to be honest if I am really desperate I hop in the car and run to the shop. Or better still send someone else. We have several supermarkets all within 2 km. sometimes I have had to go for Greek yoghurt as the one I have in the fridge is not enough or is rather yuk. I use it instead of sour cream.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:09:04 am »
I'm like Cookie, if I desperately want to make a recipe and run out of something, I either substitute if I can or hop in the car - our nearest supermarket is only a minute or two away.  I do get annoyed if they don't have what I need though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:43:04 am »
one hour round trip to the shops for us,  so usually over stock.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:45:13 am »
Well I am great one for making do, but butter and milk are rather important. If the freezer has none then I must go out.
I do have a siege mentality when it comes to supplies but I do really HATE food shopping.
As we're moving can only buy fruit/veg/eggs /milk/butter/yog and cheese. Rest must be from cupboard or freezer. 3 weeks to go.

Baked for a party this weekend so had to buy 500g butter yesterday. 15 min walk each way to get it after supper last night.
Once we've moved it will be 20 mins min each way by car to supermarket or 1.5 miles to fancy farm shop. This will be my local shop for budget weeks eg milk when we've run out. Just won't have to be tempted by other things. This time of year it has fab soft fruit.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 06:03:30 am »
I'm like cookie and JD if I want to make I go buy what I need, shops one minute by car away.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 07:29:19 am »
I have an extremely kind neighbour who will lend me stuff if I have run out but if they haven't got it it's a trip to the local supermarket 2 miles away.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 09:50:18 pm »
I run next door and raid Mums  :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:13:20 pm »
If I have a specific recipe with an intended occasion to serve the dish at, and/or I've already started, then I or DH will drive to town.

It's 10 minutes in and out but challenging if the boys need to come out for a quick trip.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:17:00 pm »
Many many years ago now, we were lucky to have 4-5 neighbours who could call on each other for whatever they needed, were out of, etc.- and whenever they needed it - as long as a light was on.  One day, several of us landed up on one particular neighbour's doorstep "returning" the ingredients we had borrowed at one time or another - flour, eggs, butter and milk - we decided we could have made pancakes right there and then! ;D

Those days are gone sadly.  Where we live now we do have a friendly neighbour or two - but nothing like it was back then - but I think I'd probably pop up to the shop down the road . . .

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:44:47 am »
I think flour's probably my biggie - always making things for lunches etc. 

I am lucky to live about 5 doors away from a little dairy which has a pretty good range.  Horrific prices, but if I'm desperate for one last ingredient, I know I CAN get it pretty quickly. 
We've had people staying before and run out of bread for breakfast and DH has gone and bought some and been back before they even noticed he'd gone. 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 06:32:47 am »
Woohoo. 20kgs of flour plus extra yeast and bread improver. Committed now!

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 08:21:30 am »
If I am really desperate my MIL lives next door but it would really be an emergency as we have lots of supermarkets within 5-7 minutes drive. Realistically it would be more like leaving the kids with her and doing a dash by myself.
Kylie

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 08:30:41 am »
Milk, I cant function without tea or coffee :)

Shops within 5 mins walk :)
Mum to Crown Prince......