Author Topic: Does anyone batch cook  (Read 30170 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Does anyone batch cook
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:57:20 pm »
Like prepare so much on the weekend for mid week meals. :)

cook sauces ect, or prepare veges ect for during the week.

Is anyone that organized...
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone batch cook
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:09:47 am »
I batch cook all the time, well I am trying not too.

All my freezers are  full >:(

Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:55:20 am »
I'd love to if I had a big enough freezer.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 02:00:39 am »
I do tend to buy big on whatever is on special and cook/prepare and freeze.  I also prepare veg for the next few days.... like wash lettuces and bag and clean and chop other veg.  

At the moment I have a lot of celery and am wondering if I should make a stack of celery soup and freeze.  I also have a recipe that uses a lot of sliced celery and onion sauted and then add curry and pineapple and either cooked chicken or tuna.  Im thinking of preparing several containers of that without the tuna or chicken and freezing so then I can add what I want to the sauce at a future time.

I'm a bit like Hally though.... both my freezers are pretty full... need to start using stuff.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:22:06 am »
Not so much cooking but I try to do this after shopping.
Kylie

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 02:44:03 am »
Kylie, that is exactly what I do... right down to the sealed bags!
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Does anyone batch cook
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 02:55:59 am »
Yes, since starting my new job I've been cooking up a storm on Sunday afternoons. It really helps as I don't have to think about it when we get home after work, I try to cook foods that can be either for dinners or lunches at work..lasagne is a regular and I use the tmx to chop/pulverise any left over veg from the fridge to mix into the bolognaise sauce. I also add a pkt of frozen spinach, so I know we are getting our serves of meat & veg for the day. Quiche is another good one.
-it's also a great excuse to spend a couple of hours in the kitchen
:)  once I work out how to use my 6 in 1, I'll have both machines going and it'll be fab!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 03:02:48 am »
I don't really need to now that I am retired. I used to try and be a day or so ahead when I worked. Eg I would prepare Monday and Tuesday dinners on Sunday, then do the others the evening before so that Friday when you are exhausted you don't have to cook dinner.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 03:13:12 am »
Yep, batch cooking is a sanity saver!!  :D
Menu plan on mondays, (I have a list of what is in my freezer, how long it has been there and what drawer it is in in the freezer ...I know, I know, I'm crazy!!  :-)) )
I peel enough potatoes/kumara/pumpkin for the week, steam or boil then oil and season - ready for each nights dinner.
Usually make at least 2 of something if I'm making one (unless I am just trying the recipe  ;) )
Make up the sauces, fillings for pies, mornays etc in bulk for meals later on.
If I have an excess of something I preserve it somehow (in jars, dried, frozen or cooked with)
Hope that helps.  ;D ;D ;D
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 03:19:10 am »
Thanks, love the way you do veges Kyton.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 03:20:01 am »
Yes always when I worked full time.  Leave at 7 am,  home mostly by 6 pm.  Some times 10 or 11 pm.  Un fortunately still do the same,  ( cook lots),  although trying to menu plan ,  which does help.    Always have had a big freezer. At one stage had 4 freezers,  down to 3 now.  Trying to empty the big bench one.  

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 03:42:12 am »
Yes I do, usually cook one or two meals on Sunday for Monday and Tuesday, menu plan and also get DS and DD to pick one meal they want each week. We have pizza on Friday nights most of the time  :)

stacelee

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 05:20:17 am »
I've actually gone the other way and I'm trying to stop and pick up "fresh" food every day or every couple of days because with working full time I was finding that I throw out a lot of food if I have it stockpiled in the fridge.  Shopping every day/couple of days means I'm only getting as much as I really need.  I drive home past between 4 to 6 grocery stores and a couple of fruit and vegetable stores plus an asian food store (or three) and a "global" food store so I'm spoilt for choice.  The only time the theory falls down is when I have my puppy with me and no husband (we have started commuting together now the brat is finished school).  I'm finding I'm more inspired to cook when I don't have to think too far ahead.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 06:24:02 am »
Another thing which I find good (tho I don't know if it is classed as batch cooking or not  ??? ) is to freeze muffin mix in the muffin trays ready to cook, that way you can have freshly cooked muffins if someone calls in unexpectedly (and they think you are amazing!!  ;) )
:D

mcmich

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 06:35:41 am »
Fabulous idea Astarra - unfortunately I wouldn't have the freezer space.