Author Topic: Beef and Guinness stew  (Read 54259 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Re: Beef and Guinness stew
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 03:16:38 pm »
Delicious - thank you for posting riv mum. Made this for dinner used stout and added the prunes after 40 mins as suggested by farfallina and served with steamed baby jacket potatoes. The flavour was awesome - no thanks to the plastic that I discovered in the bottom of thermie - I used diced chuck steak from Woolworths and simply cut the plastic wrap an literally dropped the meat from the foam tray - including the pillow of whatever is on the base to absorb blood etc from the meat! Anyrate no after effects suffered by DH or me - will definitely include this on the make again list - minus the additives!!!!  ;D  ;D
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 07:43:59 pm »
yum made this for dinner last night with steamed dumplings. the stew was delicious and going on the menu plan (thanks cookie!) but i wasnt overly impressed with the dumplings,  i only steamed them for 15 minutes but found them overcooked and hard.
wat recipe does everyone else use for dumplings?
Emma from Victoria

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 06:10:48 am »
My pleasure Em. I hope it's a starting point for you. Try these dumplings. They are simple and we love them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Morte

• View Profile
    • Thermie Thinking
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 02:35:05 pm »
I was told to drink stout while breast feeding many years ago. Never did get a taste for Guinness, but did grow to like some other varieties. Must give this one a go Next time the weather turns cool.

Morte

http://thermiethinking.wordpress.com/
Loving my Thermie more and more each day ...

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 09:41:42 am »
Just thought I would bump this for all our newbies out there.  This is a very tasty dish for winter. I made it tonight but it was a bit soupy for our liking (we like thick stew).  I think I will drain the tomatoes and reduce the stout to 170g next time.  :)

Ilaeria

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 08:38:30 am »
I don't remember how I found this recipe initially but I've had it bookmarked for a while and finally made it tonight, it was delicious.  We steamed potatoes t Varoma temp for the last 20 minutes and served it with those and it was the perfect stew consistency - thick and dark and rich.  Definitely a keeper!

Offline KathS

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 10:46:36 am »
Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious!! Thank you! This one is going in my favourites list...might try making it as a pie too  ;D

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:32 am »
Don't try, as I did, to do double the recipe in thermomix. It is too much meat for the machine and even on reverse - started to just shred the meat. Ended up transferring the whole lot to slow cooker after the cooking meat part. Will post results.

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 01:11:06 am »
Not a great success for me. I think mainly down to trying to do double the mixture. Just ended up with grey meat. As a result the end taste - after all day in slow cooker was a bit so so. Am hoping it will taste better on reheating after flavours developed a bit.

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 07:08:18 am »
We had this last night and loved it, I would say the best casserole so far, never used beer before as I don't like it, but it really did make it super. Still have the left over beer in fridge wish I could keep it for the next time as I hate waste but no one likes  Guinness.  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 09:52:20 am »
Could you use it in this cake thermo18?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2012, 10:24:39 am »
Perfect Judy  thank you  :D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2012, 06:59:12 am »
I had this on the weekend again. Yum. Freezes well too.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 03:10:13 pm »
Made this tonight. Chopped the carrot and celery in TM before cooking onion and meat.  Then I chopped the mushrooms fairly fine to hide them as DW doesn't like mushrooms. Added the prunes as per Farfalina's suggestion. 

It was a hit. We both really enjoyed it and I will make it again but I will hand cut the celery and carrot next time so that there are bigger pieces of vegetables.  I had mine with bread but DW had hers with mash.  I might try dumplings next time.

Offline spektor

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:07 pm »
Made this the other night, DH really enjoyed it and said the meat was very tender.
I'm not a big red meat eater so I just had some of the stew gravy over my veggies (still get a little meat but not much) and it was delish.