Author Topic: Guinness Chocolate Cake  (Read 30564 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Guinness Chocolate Cake
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:05:07 pm »
Superb cake with excellent texture and taste. The glossy smoothness of the chocolate ganache topping is a Thermomix specialty, and the Cream Cheese topping is also a winner.

Ingredients

250 g Guinness or stout
250 g unsalted butter, diced
60 g cocoa
400 g caster sugar
140 g sour cream or crème frâiche
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
280 g plain flour
2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda

Method
Prepare a 23cm springform tin (suggest line base and sides)
1. Pour Guinness into TM bowl and add butter. Heat 3 minutes/80°C/Speed 1
2. Add cocoa, sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla.  Mix 20 seconds/Speed 3.
3. Add flour and bicarbonate of soda.  Mix 20 seconds/Speed 3.
4. Pour into springform tin and bake 45 minutes 180 degrees or Gas Mark 4.  Aga Ovens:  Bake 1 to 1½ hours in the middle of the Baking Oven.
5. Leave to cool completely before applying one of the toppings.

Toppings

Either Cream Cheese Icing:
300 g cream cheese, e.g. Philadelphia
150 g icing sugar
125 g double cream

1. Insert Butterfly Whisk.  Whip cream cheese until smooth Speed 2½.
2. Add icing sugar and mix in on Speed 2.  
3. Add double cream and mix Speed 2½ until smooth.  Spread over cake with a palette knife.

Or Chocolate Ganache:
150 g double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp unsalted butter
150 g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces

1. Add all ingredients to TM bowl.  Heat 3 minutes/Speed 2 until chocolate is melted.  
2. Pour over cake and use a knife to smooth the icing over the edges. It will harden when cold.

Source:
UK Thermomix recipe

Members' comments
Gert - On the rare occasion I do make a cake it is this  no fail recipe I use. Easy as and you can make it the day before and cover it with ganache as you need it.  My friends love this one and I usually buy a 250 ml bottle of special chocolaty stout.  It is Red Oak Belgian Chocolate Stout. It is a huge, dense cake. I fed 14 people with the last one I made.

alioop - loved it, thanks for the recipe CP. The cake was a very very rich, dark, moist cake (also covered it with the cream cheese icing which was done in a flash in the TM).  Was quite a large cake, and given the richness, I may do in two separate, smaller tins next time.  Yum, Yum.  Will be doing this one again!!

cookie1 - What a lovely cake.  I made this with left over guiness. I ended up making a few changes as I was running short on stores. I topped up the guiness with about 50ml of beer as I ran out of guiness. I reduced the sugar to 250g as I thought I should. I didn't have enough sour cream so had about 100ml of buttermilk added. Even with all this messing up it was a really beautiful cake and I will definitely be making it again, thanks CP63.

Thermie007 - Yummy,yummy & yummy is all we can say about this one esp with the cream cheese slavered thickly on the top of it. Mine collapsed a bit in the middle but that just meant more cream cheese to fill it. We loved it and I want to try it again another day with the chocolate ganache. Thanks for the recipe CreamPuff63

Gert - I always  turn the cake upside down when removing it from the oven to give  the ganache a flat surface as it is runny at first.

Kissmypixel -  WOW it's a winner in this house. Took exactly 1.5 hrs to cook and it makes a big/enormous cake. Whenever I make the beef and guiness stew I will be making this. Thank you for sharing the recipe. PERFECT

ES - I made this in my Themo Chef, and the only adjustment I made to the recipe was to drop the temperature by 10C when heating the stout and butter. I used Coopers Stout as it's our local brew. I made the ganache, but as my TC seems to be burning things at the moment, I changed the method. I blitzed the chocolate in the TC and then poured in the cream, which I had heated in the microwave until it was hot but not boiling, through the hole in the lid at speed 3 until it was smooth.
The cake turned out really well and made a lovely birthday cake which served lots of people.

Blue Wren88 - I can't believe how good this TM makes me look! Everyone that tasted it thought I was brilliant! I made the chocolate ganache & served it with the EDC Strawberry sauce & double cream......yum!

Lellyj - Very yummy, thank you.  Used a bit less guinness in the beef and Guinness stew so that I would have enough for this cake. Very easy, too.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:29:47 am by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Guinness Chocolate Cake
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:49:07 pm »
AHA a recipe to use up the left over Guiness when you make Beef and Guiness Stew (well for those that have left overs ;) ;D) Sounds divine ;) 
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 12:39:05 am »
Thanks CP63 - I would need to buy n extra can of the black gold.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:55:26 am »
Sounds good to me - still means opening 2 bottles of Guiness though as it means you need 500mls for this cake and the stew. Mind you, the cans are 440mls so perhaps I could stretch it to do the 2 recipes rather than freeze the leftovers.
Nice toppings - can be used on other cakes or cupcakes.  Thanks for posting this one CP63  Looks like I am going to have to buy a pack of Guiness instead of just the 1 bottle at a time. Would be cheaper anyway so why not. BTW, I never even tried the drink when I made the stew - believe it or not  :D :D :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline jworth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:36:23 am »
 Sounds divine although I will have to try really hard not to drink all the Guinness!!  Must give it ago. :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:39:54 am »
On the rare occasion I do make a cake it is this  no fail recipe I use. Easy as and you can make it the day before and cover it with ganache as you need it.  My friends love this one and I usually buy a 250 ml bottle of special chocolaty stout the name of which escapes me. Sorry. :-))
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 11:07:28 am »
 I don't know how I missed this recipe! ???
Guinness is a special favourite in this house so it may be difficult to keep it for the cake, but we are made of stern stuff, here!
If a little short term restraint is called for, I'm sure we can hold off.
I'll bet the cake is just lovely with a glass of the black stuff with it, too. 8)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:06:55 pm »
Be very careful with Guinness Amanda ;D.  Remember the old saying "there's a baby in every bottle".  Meaning that there is a pregnacy with every bottle . . . . not literally a baby inside the bottle.   ;) ;) ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 03:07:50 pm »
On the rare occasion I do make a cake it is this  no fail recipe I use. Easy as and you can make it the day before and cover it with ganache as you need it.  My friends love this one and I usually buy a 250 ml bottle of special chocolaty stout the name of which escapes me. Sorry. :-))

Could that be Murphy's ???
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 03:12:24 pm »
Be very careful with Guinness Amanda ;D.  Remember the old saying "there's a baby in every bottle".  Meaning that there is a pregnacy with every bottle . . . . not literally a baby inside the bottle.   ;) ;) ;)

Can just see the sketch - Oh Seamus - I knoo dere's a wee baby in here sumwhere ---  but Paddie, first yer missus has to drink it, .. to be sure!!

Soory to all the good Irish folk out there.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 01:11:29 am »
That is funny Thermomixer - even for a wee lass like myself.  An extra giggle as our youngest son is called Paddy.
Chelsea  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 07:00:47 am »
I finally found the chocolatly stout I use for this cake. It is Red Oak Belgian Chocolate Stout  www.redoak.com.au. I bought it at 1st Choice in Cairns. I was told that Dan Murphys may carry it as well.

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 07:10:20 am »
Oh, thank you very much - just what I didn't need for my diet !!!  Something deliciously chocolaty, luscious and alcoholic - oh well, you only live once.... and you may as well enjoooooooy it.  :-* 
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 10:00:03 am »
Made this the other day and loved it!  thanks for the recipe CP  :). The cake was a very very rich, dark, moist cake (also covered it with the cream cheese icing which was done in a flash in the TM).  Was quite a large cake, and given the richness, I may do in two separate, smaller tins next time.  Yum, Yum.  Will be doing this one again!!
Ali
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 01:53:50 am »
Yes it is a huge  dense cake. I fed 14 people with the last one I made  ;)