Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 8052713 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #30945 on: August 15, 2016, 09:16:57 am »
Hi friends.
A lovely sunny start to the day here.A good walk with Chance.Picked the first blackberries which were beautifully sweet.
The Elderberries are ripening on the bushes.Every year I think I must made some jelly but the birds seem to beat me to them. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #30946 on: August 15, 2016, 09:35:49 am »
Good luck tomorrow, Chookie.

CC, I have the same problem with all the fruit in our orchard - the corellas get to them before I have a chance to do anything with them ... the birds occasionally leave one lonely apple or pear for me if I am really, really lucky and they are in a generous mood!

Found some netting in the garden shed so planted out some comfrey, something mustardy which I cannot remember the name of and garlic chives (the latter two compliments of Chookie) in my garden yesterday.  Hopefully the netting will keep the rabbits and possums out until everything gets established.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #30947 on: August 15, 2016, 01:54:32 pm »
Marina, the mustardy stuff is land or mustard cress. Seeds came from DIL 's mum.
Judy, I have a horrid day drinking that stuff for tomorrow. Will be glad when it is all over tomorrow, although I have to drink another lot in the morning at 6 am.
CC, love the look of those Blackberries.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #30948 on: August 15, 2016, 10:51:57 pm »
Hope your tests go well Chookie. The prep is always the worst part isn't it?
CC your blackberries look beautiful, I love blackberry jam. I made some recently from frozen ones, it was lovely!
Have a great day everybody.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #30949 on: August 15, 2016, 11:15:10 pm »
Good Morning all! Another beautiful day here!
Yesterday I had a day off and spent with DD, she was a reall darling, I could get some shopping done and prepared 3 batches of muesli to last us for a while. After eating home made, I just dont feel like going back to shop bought but as I am getting heavy with the bump, things are getting difficult...

CC, those blackberries look yumm, we have few blackberry plants at our work place but I never tried them :)

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #30950 on: August 16, 2016, 12:36:19 am »
CC the Elderberries in fruit look great , never seen them in fruit always the flowers which are so pretty . Do you make cordial when in flower and then jam with the fruit ?

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #30951 on: August 16, 2016, 12:45:52 am »
CC the blackberries look good, great for making jam.

all good here. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30952 on: August 16, 2016, 01:06:37 am »
Good morning everyone.  I remember when we were kids Denise, we'd drive up into the hills and collect blackberries.  We also went mushrooming in paddocks a few kms from our place and find mushies the size of side plates, not that I would eat mushrooms back then but my parents loved them on toast for breakfast.

Have a great day everyone.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #30953 on: August 16, 2016, 04:44:31 am »
Afternoon all.
All tests went well, but feel a bit slow. Thanks for all the good wishes.
Judy, always wondered why the bought Mushies were so expensive. The girls who dropped off the mushroom compost explained the process. For small farmers, lots of careful handling.Also , no holidays. Best to support local small farmers if possible.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30954 on: August 16, 2016, 07:04:40 am »
That's good to hear Chookie, rest up this afternoon ready to hit the deck running in the morning.
I love the fact you are picking bonus mushrooms from a load of compost, I've bought bags of it for different gardens but obviously that's not the same as having a truckload delivered fresh from a mushroom farm.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #30955 on: August 16, 2016, 07:08:28 am »
Afternoon all.
All tests went well, but feel a bit slow. Thanks for all the good wishes.
Judy, always wondered why the bought Mushies were so expensive. The girls who dropped off the mushroom compost explained the process. For small farmers, lots of careful handling.Also , no holidays. Best to support local small farmers if possible.

Great to hear that the results were all good.

I'm all for supporting the small farmers, I love the farmers markets ... and the dairy farmers as well are having a rough time of it.  I felt that there was somthing awry when I first noticed the very cheap milk going up for sale over a year ago now, but didn't realise how severe the consequences were.  I always try to buy organic from the small producers.  Murray Goulburn and Frontera are really ripping them off.

I bought some mushroom compost earlier this year and didn't get a single mushroom ... it was much more expensive than the stuff you got locally as well!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30956 on: August 16, 2016, 09:15:23 am »
Chookie I'm pleased your results are ok and that is over for a while. I was quite shocked watching Four Corners last night. I sort of knew Fonterra was bad but that's all.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30957 on: August 16, 2016, 09:35:08 am »
Do you make cordial when in flower and then jam with the fruit ?

The flowers were over so quickly this year that I didn't get a chance to pick them.The fruit makes a delicious jelly but the birds love them too K Atie  ;D

Good morning everyone.  I remember when we were kids Denise, we'd drive up into the hills and collect blackberries.  We also went mushrooming in paddocks a few kms from our place and find mushies the size of side plates, not that I would eat mushrooms back then but my parents loved them on toast for breakfast.

A great memory to have Judy.I remember picking mushrooms with my Pap.To me he knew everthing LOL

Great news that things went well Chookie. :-*

A good morning walk with Chance.He's now fast asleep and I'm drinking tea  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:38:52 am by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #30958 on: August 16, 2016, 10:28:53 am »
CC, the sleeping and tea drinking seem to be a ritual. Go for it.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #30959 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:18 pm »
Good Morning everyone!! :)