Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9079602 times)

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:36 am »
Today I'm making bread, white choc chip biscuits, chocolate slice, orange cup cakes (recipe from the tm cookbook).. probably something else, haven't decided yet. Need to restock the freezer.
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2009, 04:33:29 am »
Hi everyone, today I have got off my butt and into the kitchen for a change.  Thought I'd try the Pasta E Fagioli which Karen suggested the other day but only made 1/2 qty as I didn't think DH would like it as he is not a pasta lover.  Neither of us were that keen on it although it turned out perfectly so with the leftovers (3 cups) I made the cheese sauce recipe (pge 58 Everyday cookbook) but used 40g cornflour not 50g, added 1-1/2 cups leftover pasta mixture and a can of drained, flaked tuna for tomorrow's lunch. You could add a can of creamed corn here too but I forgot about that until after I'd put it in the fridge. Froze the other qty of pasta to use the same way in the future.  Can't do this too often either as DH doesn't like tuna much either! As you can see, I have my work cut out for me with a fussy and tiny eater.

I have also had a go at creating a recipe from scratch and will report on that after we have eaten it for dinner tonight.

Had another go at the carrot and orange juice, added 2 carrots and a teaspoon artificial sweetener this time and it was much better.  I think the main problem is that our oranges are just not like they used to be at the moment so the extra carrot helped give it a boost.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:22:01 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline amyt1985

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2009, 04:54:52 am »
Well last night made risotto from the everyday cook book and had heaps leftover for dinner tonight. My partner uses the Thermomix aswell. He has been a bit more creative and made curried eggs, pasta salad and a few other recipes along with his own milkshakes and smoothies.

I should get him to write down the steps so i could post a receipe on here.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2009, 05:27:06 am »
Good idea Amy, men can be great cooks so pinch some of his ideas and let us in on them.  You'll be waiting a long time to read a recipe submitted by my DH! he would hardly ever eat if he had his way.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2009, 07:32:02 am »
Hi Amanda, just read yesterday's posting re Luigi's cookies and I agree, they certainly do not come together in 10 seconds! The 'do not over process' comment is a bit scary but I just went for it and I think I did it for a total of at least 30 seconds.  Still didn't look like it had come together but once you get the mixture in your hands you just work it together that way.  Tasty little morsels.  Wish they would tell us how many these types of recipes are supposed to make though as you never know if you are making them too big or too small.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2009, 09:29:59 am »
Hi Judy.  I think that the over-processing remark is because they are basically a shortbread and shortbread should never be worked too much or it gets a bit tough - not light and crumbly.
I process these for 20 -30 seconds and use a teaspoon full per cookie.  I just handle them enough to press the mix together.
My wretched children decided that they didn't like 'almond cookies', but now they are called 'shortbread' they are very much in favour!! ;) :D
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2009, 11:17:51 am »
I'm back to report on my beef & spinach meal I made for dinner.  The idea stemmed from something my mother used to make years ago which she called 'herbie pie' as she always put a pastry crust on top of it.  I have changed it slightly and added other things that Mum wouldn't have used but if anyone thinks they can improve on it please do so as I am certainly not an inventor of recipes.  I have put it in the main meal section. DH reckons it tasted 100% better than the Pasta E Fagioli we had for lunch.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2009, 09:19:00 pm »
i am hehe about the pasta fagiole, we LOVE it! a case of different strokes for different folks ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:08 am »
Sorry Karen but don't stop advising which meals are liked in your family.  I will try the other pasta dish you suggested down the track - that one is totally different so maybe he will be more accepting of it.  I think my vegetarian daughter would have liked the Fagioli though.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2009, 02:33:50 am »
Well last night made risotto from the everyday cook book and had heaps leftover for dinner tonight. My partner uses the Thermomix aswell. He has been a bit more creative and made curried eggs, pasta salad and a few other recipes along with his own milkshakes and smoothies.

Great to hear that you are being creative and giving it a go.  Look forward to a recipe.  Even criticism of any of my recipes would be OK if you want to try some.

BTW - when's the wedding??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2009, 02:40:05 am »

DH reckons it tasted 100% better than the Pasta E Fagioli we had for lunch.

LOL - any criticism is better then silence.  It is funny how different people's tastes can be.  Saw the Eataholics program on ABC 2 last night with a girl who only ate chocolate and pasta - seriously.  And almost nothing on the pasta.  :-\ :-\
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2009, 02:44:50 am »
Not even the chocolate on the pasta?? How was her weight? Sounded interesting, would have watched it if I knew it was on.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2009, 03:01:43 am »
The synopsis -

"Aspiring 18-year-old politician Helen Tree is about to become a university student, though she is already a fan of the staple student food - pasta. The problem is, pasta is virtually the only thing Helen eats and the only sauce she can manage to liven it up is ketchup.

Worryingly, Helen is regularly in and out of hospital with undiagnosed problems -possibly caused by the lack of nutrients in her diet. Her five siblings have all given up trying to get Helen to eat new foods because even the thought of fruit and veg leaves Helen in tears every time."

Hard to believe that she was allowed to get to this stage over MANY years.  One thing not to like pasta e fagioli - but she vomited when she saw a room-mate pour a can of leek & potato soup into a pan to cook !!!!  The look, thought of many foods made her cry and feel nauseous. 

Thermomixer in Australia

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2009, 03:09:26 am »
Makes our health problems look insignificant! Poor girl.

Offline amyt1985

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2009, 05:00:03 am »

Great to hear that you are being creative and giving it a go.  Look forward to a recipe.  Even criticism of any of my recipes would be OK if you want to try some.

BTW - when's the wedding??

I will have to get him to try them again over the weekend and i will write them down and then post them. I have seen a few receipes on here that i wouldnt mind trying however i havent had the chance to get the extra ingredients i dont already have. I am trying to be a bit mroe creative over the next few weeks.

Wedding is 20 march 2010 - Just over a year to go. :)