Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6155926 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #17940 on: June 11, 2015, 04:46:06 pm »
I grew up in a small country town where we knew everyone and tend to be very trusting.

I have to say that you when it comes to renting: you can't judge a book by its cover and - in todays day and age you cannot trust anyone and everyone. You need to cross your 't's and dot your i's" because when its all done and dusted the people that have the most rights are those with the least to lose.

People from poorer suburbs can be fantastic at cleaning up after themselves so don't necessarily judge them for being 2nd class citizens, and those from more affluent suburbs are probably more used to having someone pickup after them and and can leave houses like a pig sty. Being a doctor or a professional does not mean that you are going to treat the property any better than someone less qualified. In my experience there are more good tenants than bad. The bad taint your mind and give you the most stress and ill feeling, they tend to overcrowd your thoughts with negativity than the  majority of people who are really good, nice people and your ideal guest and leave your property with positivity.

With this in mind, I treat everyone equally and  prefer to take a hard line and get everyone to complete my due diligence requirements. I find that in about 5% of cases people are distrusting of me because I ask for proof of ID against proof of their credit card to check against the guest. Hmn this is before I hand out details about keys to a fully furnished house thats worth at least 1.5m and up to people I otherwise don't know from a bar of soap and they think that I'm going to rip them off in some way?? The world is screwed up in this current day and age.

I suppose I have learnt to not take a rental when I have been in doubt, as the money is invariably not worth it.

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #17941 on: June 11, 2015, 09:49:12 pm »
CP, well said and talking from experience.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #17942 on: June 11, 2015, 10:25:04 pm »
We have similar situations, CC, even if on a slightly different scale.  People today expect everything, but offer nothing in return, they don't seem to realise the risk we, as business operators, run.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #17943 on: June 12, 2015, 01:36:11 am »
Belated Happy Birthday to DH Michele, hope he had a great day.  Sorry to hear of your problem with the rental property.  Cannot fathom some people.

Well said CP and so true.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17944 on: June 12, 2015, 06:20:27 am »
CP you certainly have the experience of such matters. The houses we stayed in at Gracetown were lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #17945 on: June 12, 2015, 12:37:07 pm »
Today I planted some seedlings in the new garden beds.  The chooks thought they would help. I planted the seedlings and they pulled them out.  I had to lock them up.

Ral is looking at a football match. Port and Geelong.  He said he can hear Judy yelling. Could this be right?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17946 on: June 12, 2015, 12:50:49 pm »
I'm sure it is Chookie.  ;D :D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17947 on: June 12, 2015, 03:14:23 pm »
I'm pretty quiet at the football girls. The first half was a great match but then Geelong were way too good and strong for us. It was nice to get out though and I didn't cough once!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #17948 on: June 12, 2015, 10:47:25 pm »
Judy, sounds like you enjoyed the match even though Port didn't win..

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17949 on: June 13, 2015, 12:23:44 am »
Yes Chookie, win or lose I always enjoy my football - the atmosphere beats watching it on TV hands down.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17950 on: June 13, 2015, 08:57:18 am »
I agree that the atmosphere at the football is brilliant. I'm watching my team play at the moment.

Today DD and I went into the city. The Dymocks in the CBD is closing down which is very sad. They were having a closing down sale. I had hoped to pick up some cookbooks but they had very few left. DD picked up about 25 books, so she was happy.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17951 on: June 13, 2015, 09:39:31 am »
Wow, that's a lot of books cookie.  Sadly, bookshops are not doing well and we'll probably see more going the same way.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17952 on: June 13, 2015, 09:44:37 am »
Blimey Cookie carrying 25 books must have been heavy. I hope you didn't have to walk too far to the car.A shame there wasn't any good cookbooks left.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #17953 on: June 13, 2015, 12:15:59 pm »
Cookie is that the one in Hay St? I can't believe another book store in Perth is closing. I've just been pottering around today in between watching the 2 WA football teams play.                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17954 on: June 13, 2015, 12:29:18 pm »
Yes DD that is the one. First Borders and now Dymocks. I really enjoy browsing in a good book store.

We shared the books out between us and carried them. We had a fair walk to where DD had parked the car. We had gone prepared with 4 good bags suited to heavy duty carrying. One of them had "Take an old bag shopping" on it.  ;D ;D