Author Topic: Porridge for 1..or more.  (Read 19042 times)

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
Re: Porridge for 1..or more.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 10:53:40 am »
On this sunny but frosty birthday morning, porridge is an appealing breakfast.  I am careful to stick to the timings and instructions of my porridge, as given in Porridge for 1 ...or more and do not get any burned bottom on my TM Jug.  I know that I can cook the easy porridge sachets in the microwave in 2.2 mins but they are laced with sugar and whatever else they choose to add.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 11:34:55 am »
Happy Birthday DD, hope you are having a nice day.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 05:30:10 pm »
Thanks DD for the great recipe - sounds just perfect for me!  Many happy returns!!  Hope you have a wonderful day (actually, in my book, birthday celebrations should last for at least a month!) :D :D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »
Happy Birthday DD. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »
Happy Birthday DD. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 12:10:24 am »
I'm sorry, but this was a disaster for me this morning.  :(
I made it in my Thermo Chef and mixed it on speed 1 using the butterfly attachment.
It burnt on the bottom of my jug, was really runny and the oats were undercooked.
I did  double the recipe and used generic oats, so maybe I need to increase the speed and cooking time.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 07:51:11 am »
ello Emerald-Sue,
I am so sorry that your effort was a disaster. I can't emphasize enough that accuracy of the ingredients and the timing are everything to prevent it sticking in the TMX bowl. Mine does end up cooked but looking runny but then when you pour it into a bowl, it thickens by itself. I tend to use semi-skimmed milk and I never use this recipe for more than one portion.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 08:39:24 am »
Hi EmeraldSue, as I understand it the thermochef is based on the TM21 technology.  Porridge and scrambled eggs always 'caught' on the bottom of the TM21 - that's one of the improvements in the TM31 - so that will probably be your problem

It might be worth upping the speed and see if that works for you.  Try speed 3 or even 3.5. It will change the texture a bit but may well solve the problem.

On the cleaning front, cover the blades with WARM water and a squirt of washing up liquid.  Clean for 2 mins at 60 degrees speed 8.  That solved things for the TM21 so will probably work for you too.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 12:55:50 pm »
Thanks for your responses.
 I was in a hurry this morning and wasn't thinking straight. I usually up the speed for custards and sauces, so should have automatically increased the speed.
Thanks too, for the cleaning hint. I put some bi carb and white vinegar in it and left it until dinner time. It did come off, but I had to scrub it a little.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline alioc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 12:54:28 am »
Hi there from a complete newbie! We got our TM two days ago...

I've made this porridge twice now. First time, I forgot to put the MC on :-)) so when it reached the end of the time it hadn't got to the right temperature and it was uncooked and totally runny. So I replaced the MC, then cooked it for another two minutes. End result, once rested in a bowl was the creamiest porridge ever! Sadly there were also some burn marks on the bottom, which I successfully removed using bicarb & vinegar.

Take two: used half milk, half water to avoid scorching. Everything else by the recipe. Even after sitting, the porridge was too liquid for my taste, but did taste nice.

Tomorrow: try again using the recipe (and TM) exactly as intended?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 01:02:06 am »
I'd up the speed to 3 as Dot said in a later posting of hers alioc.  Amy's winter banana smoothie has become my favourite porridge recipe of late.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline alioc

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 11:44:01 pm »
The winter banana smoothie sounds good!

I tried again this morning. Pushing the speed up to 2.5 worked well and there was no sticking or scorching. I do think, however, that I will experiment with cooking it for 6 minutes as it is still runnier than I like.

Thanks for your help.