Author Topic: REVIEW - Chick Pea & Cashew Nut Curry - Dinner Spinner  (Read 18021 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Re: REVIEW - Chick Pea & Cashew Nut Curry - Dinner Spinner
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 11:15:18 am »
Yes, Tenina, I can see that lovely big smile likeness.  Sassy physicality in both photos too.  Thanks to both you and Lally for your generous contributions from which we learn so much.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 11:19:28 am »
For those of us not keen on chickpeas, what would you suggest we could substitute them with.  I like baked beans so how about something softer along those lines just added at the end?

Hmmm not sure JD - I often sub butter beans for chick peas if I am out of chick peas (happens often and I buy chick peas by the bags and cans at a time lol) so they could work. They will mush up more I think as they are not quite as hardy as a chick pea ...
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »
Yes, butter beans are nice - as you said, they would have to be mixed very gently.

Yes Tenina, now that you've mentioned it - there is a likeness.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21:08 am »
I'm sure I set the TMX on reverse but mine is very mushy, I'm assuming the chick peas should have kept there shape. I also added cauliflower and mushrooms to make up for a shortage of chickpeas, I've now got a bowl of curry mush to have over rice. Are people using salted or just raw cashews?

Has anyone else had problems with the chick peas going mushy?

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 07:22:18 am »
Yes wonder they do go a bit mushy even on reverse ... I think that is why my lot liked it lol - chickpeas in disguise  ;D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 07:47:11 am »
Yes mine was very mushy too Wonder, but I'm thinking now that maybe they were supposed to be so?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 08:40:25 am »
Glad to hear that it wasn't me! The picture looks like it isn't mushy at all - a little deceiving.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 09:29:55 am »
The picture is about what mine looks like ... when I remember to sprinkle the cashew nuts on top of it  :-)) :-)) :-)) We are generally eating by the time I remember lol  :-[

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 10:19:50 am »
I'll see what it looks like tomorrow when I make it up for lunch, I've got the coriander and cashews ready to sprinkle on top. I avent even really tasted it yet, so will decide on my final verdict tomorrow.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 01:39:54 pm »
Does anyone else think that LellyJ’s pic looks a little like me??
Just askin’??  Grin

Well, thanks Tenina, Cecilia and Judy, I am happy to resemble Tenina in anyway!  That photo was taken Christmas Day 2010 the day that I got my tmx and I'm kind of gesturing toward it going "Ta da"!  My hair was cut in a very similar style to Tenina's and was quite reddish.  Now it's alot darker and a bit longer,so maybe not such a likeness now, but hopefully still have "sassy physicality" (thanks, Cecilia!)

With regard to the curry, I made this the other night to feed vegetarians so I didn't steam the chicken aswell.  It took less than 20 miinutes from go to whoa, which was great.  My chick peas went a little mushy too, which didn't bother us, one of the Indian chickpea curries I make you actually squash the chick peas with a spatula in the pan while youre cooking it, so maybe we're just used to them being a bit squishy.  Like Cookie, I do prefer homecooked chickpeas, however, which I soak and cook quite often and keep them in the fridge to do something with, and I will try this with some one day.  We eat a lot of Indian style food and I felt like I would like to play with the spices a little, but in terms of feeding people in a hurry, this certainly is a fantastic recipe.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 01:56:34 am »
I had mine over brown rice for lunch today and not sure if the combination of textures from the curry and the brown rice but while the flavour is OK I'm really not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I'll try it tomorrow with white rice and maybe roast and salt the cashews to go on top but not sure I would bother making again.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 08:02:32 am »
Yes mine was very mushy too Wonder, but I'm thinking now that maybe they were supposed to be so?
Not sure about mushy being intended…
I think it will depend on the age of your chick peas, whether you use tinned or your own cooked ones etc. It is hard to get all options into such a small format, so we went with tins…hopefully you guys will tweak as you go along.That is the whole point of thermomix. Your food the way You like it!

Glad that you mostly like Dinner Spinner, but it is a work in progress….

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 09:54:59 am »
While I haven't yet made this particular recipe, I cook another chick pea dish a lot. Two observations on the taste and mushiness of chick peas. I've only found one brand of tinned chick peas that I really like - the Annalisa brand - very yummy - I happily eat these out of the can, whereas some other tinned version I don't like at all. They used to be sold in Coles, but now I only ever find them in Woolworths.

Re, the mushiness - I've converted a chickpea dish that I've been making on the stovetop for years. In the TMX it is always much 'mushier' and more liquid than my traditional version, despite cooking with the reverse function on. So I've ended up usually going back to the stovetop for this one, as my family prefers the original style.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 01:26:53 am »

Tenina, you've put my faith back into TM cook books!   I haven't liked all the recipes, but most of them.  That happens with all recipe books.  We all like different things, and flavours, but for me you've managed to put the right flavours together very well and like you say with tweaks here and there we can make them our own.

Personally I can't wait for your new book and will buy it without hesitation, sight unseen.  Not something I ever do.  :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 02:55:50 am »

Tenina, you've put my faith back into TM cook books!   I haven't liked all the recipes, but most of them.  That happens with all recipe books.  We all like different things, and flavours, but for me you've managed to put the right flavours together very well and like you say with tweaks here and there we can make them our own.

Personally I can't wait for your new book and will buy it without hesitation, sight unseen.  Not something I ever do.  :D
I feel exactly the same JulieO.I'm really hanging out for this new book of yours Tenina :D.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/