Author Topic: Spinach Impossible Pie  (Read 24289 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Spinach Impossible Pie
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 08:51:19 am »
I think it would, it's like any other quiche.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline O4aTimtam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 06:08:30 am »
Hi Cookie, thanks for this one.  Can't wait to try it, it is in the oven as I type.

Just a couple of queries for you Cookie, unfortunately we don't have home grown spinanch so I went to Gilberts (for the SOR folk) and the chap suggested I buy a bag of baby spinach instead of a bunch.  I used half a bag, so about 125g when in.  I think I probably could have used more as it cooked down quite a lot.  Can someone suggest a weight, so I can use this time?  (Although I expect after tasting whats in the oven I'll be able to answer my own question!).  

Also I used Greek fetta, so chopped into small cubes before I added it,  Should I have used a soft fetta as I couldn't see chopping mentioned in the recipe.  

Last question, before the  :-: symbol, should there also be a  ^^, as I wasn't sure what speed to use?

Thanks, and sorry for the questions, I am not very inventive yet, so tend to follow recipes to the letter.

Thanks, TimTam  :D

EDIT:  It is out of the oven, and delish  ;D.  Could have done with a bit more spinach me thinks ...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:09:44 am by O4aTimtam »
Helen from Willetton, Western Australia   |

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 07:27:51 am »
o4atimtam I have changed the recipe and put in speed 1. Thanks for that. I hardly ever use  ^^ as I am scared the blades won't turn. I used almost a packet of spinach for mine, but I think just use what you have. For the feta, again use what you have. I simply crumbled mine as I put it in.
I guess I'm not as careful as I should be in putting up recipes as I take a lot for granted. Thanks for the reminder, it's appreciated.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 08:10:27 am »
TimTam that looks great, was it yummy  :D

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 08:27:50 am »
Tim Tam, I used bag baby spinach, 200g worth, I think it was plenty.  I personally prefer greek fetta, but I made this with danish as that is all the local shop had--again IMO, I don't think it matters.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 08:59:46 am »
Cuilidth,  there is a recipe for a Sweet potato custard in the latest Dish Mag.  Could make an excellent filling for a similar pie.  Will investigate further.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 07:59:13 pm »
That's so thoughtful of you, remembering me, Chookie, I appreciate it.  I'll look forward to hearing whether you think it is worth trying out.  I'm taking an extra long weekend next week and hope to catch up on some recipes then.  With luck I'll tackle the Spinach Impossible Pie (using either soy or coconut milk, possibly some soy cheese and cream corn) this weekend.  I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 09:17:44 am »
Marina,  I have posted a recipe for you under sweets.  I thought it was going to be a savory dish but on closer inspection it was sweet.  I have converted it but haven't tested it. 

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 12:43:21 am »
Thanks, Chookie, that's on my list for next week it sounds SOOOO delicious - I'm a sucker for kumara so it is a great choice for me to try.

I've got the Spinach Impossible Pie in the oven just now.  Pretty well followed the recipe, but used soy milk and soy cheese (for the first time) and added some creamed corn as well.

As I started typing the above paragraph I realised that I haven't set my timer so am hoping I don't over cook it.  Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:59 am »
Well, I managed not to overcook or burn the quiche, so that was a plus.  I wasn't sure what I would think of this once it was finished as I had never tasted or cooked with soy cheese but everything turned out great.  I'm really pleased.  I would probably use a little less dill next time, but the creamed corn worked - I used most of the 420 gm tin, and could have used the whole tin without it being overpowering, but I'll know that next time.  Using the whole tin left some of the egg mixture over so I just made a couple of wee savoury quiches in my muffin tin.  Thanks for this recipe, I'm glad that I now have a good, reliable quiche I can make for DH.

Offline O4aTimtam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 05:00:33 am »
Thanks Cookie for that extra info.  I'll make sure I stay away from the  ^^ too. 

Yes, Fundj it was as delish as it looked!  I gave Mr TimTam a small sample when he came home from work - "Thats okay, we could have some for breakfast", which is high praise indeed from someone who doesn't think it is a meal unless it has meat in it  ;D!  Thank you again Cookie.
Helen from Willetton, Western Australia   |

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 10:27:08 am »
I have bought the ingredients for this pie a few days ago, hopefully i get a chance to make it 2morrow

The 1st thing DH* will say is, i am not eating quiche love , Then i will say there is no pastry love so it’s not a quiche, then he will give me   :-)) then eat it  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 11:07:14 am »
You certainly know your man Uni and I love that you both call each other 'love'.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 11:15:03 am »
We have been calling each other that since i was 14 years old, it’s so annoying some times
You are ********  *******    ***** **** love. If u know what i mean

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 11:17:27 am »
Yes, I think we all know what you mean  ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.