Author Topic: Oreo Cookie Pops  (Read 84517 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Oreo Cookie Pops
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2011, 08:11:59 am »
I sure will. Thanks again.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2011, 07:07:50 am »
I love these. Here's the photos. The decoration isn't anything marvellous, maybe next time.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2011, 10:38:01 am »
They look delicious Cookie.  I love the decorating. :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2011, 10:42:28 am »
They look fab  cookie!  :)  I love your chocolate swirls!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2011, 11:40:51 am »
Any left Cookie - they look great.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2011, 11:59:07 am »
If I made these I know I wouldn't leave them alone but they look so good Cookie. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2011, 12:03:56 pm »
Yum! I'm on holidays in Bremer Bay and don't have my beloved Hermie, but I'll be making these when I get home, for sure!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:53 am »
Made these tonight for the first time, and had some difficulty - so I thought I might ask the experts for some tips!  Firstly, when I put the balls into the cake pop mould, one of the sides came out OK and the other one looked flat and didnt have the same "ridges" and marks that the mould had, and also there was a kind of ridge thing where the 2 sides of the mould should meet, and the left over cake squeezed through.  So I obviously need more practice putting the dough into the mould - maybe the balls were too big or too small  ??? ???

When I came to dipping them, I used the Nestle Melts (dark choc and white choc) and just melted the choc in the microwave.  The mixture seemed very thick and gluggy, and seemed to "congeal" on the cake pop, rather than coat it nicely and smoothly.  Any tips on how to get the choc a bit thinner and smoother?

Having said all that - while each cake pop is far from perfect if you inspect them closely, en masse they look quite spectacular! 

I am looking forward to trying them again with some tweaks, and getting much better at them before DS1's birthday in April  ;D
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2011, 10:07:19 am »
Perhaps your chocolate seized or was a bit overcooked?  It should have been nice and smooth. ???

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2011, 10:16:51 am »
I had also wondered about trying to do these with Quirky Jo's raw cacao treat balls, instead of the oreo cookie mix

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2010/02/raw-cacao-treat-balls.html

but thought I should perfect the method first before I start playing around with it too much.

Could also try dipping them in Quirky Jo's homemade chocolate - but again that might require more skill than I have at the moment  ;)
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:28 am »
I think maddy adds a bit of copha or oil to thin it down KJH.  My DD had trouble with the mould I gave her too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2011, 12:57:03 am »
I added about a tablespoon of melted copha to the chocolate. I t seems to help.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:23 am »

Karen, just make the balls bigger, before putting in the moulds.  I make them about a heaped Tbsp. amount.  You will get excess mix ooze out, but that means the mould has filled correctly, and you will get that lovely cupcake shape.   Keep the excess, and add it to another ball if on the small size.  You'll get the hang of it  ;) I also only take 2 out of the fridge at one time, as the chocolate balls stay firm enough for shaping.  If you take the whole plate out, they may get too warm and soft to mould into the cupcake shape.

As for the chocolate, I too use nestle melts.  Melt gradually on 50% power.  I then add to it 1-2 Tablespoons of melted copha.  Now what I think makes the dipping really easy and gives the chocolate a good dipping consistency, is using a little electric fondue pot
Like this one......

It keeps the chocolate warm, and a nice runny enough consistency.  K-mart sell them too for around $12 (on special) - $19.00.  Also can get online at POK:  https://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=1650942&cid=488
I first melt the chocolate in the microwave, then transfer it into this fondue pot.  Any excess chocolate I have left over, I then pour into silicone cupcake moulds, chill and store in an airtight container for next time.  You just need to make sure that there is no crumbs in the chocolate.

Alternatively, the chocolate will thicken up as it cools down, so give it periodic bursts in the microwave (at 50% power) and a good stir, to re-heat and keep thin enough for dipping.

Hope that helps you  :)

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:43 pm »
Thanks so much for the hints and tips maddy and everyone else!  I have got copha now and can borrow a small fondue thing, so am to have a second go, and see if I can make improvements.

I took my first batch to work (thinking them failures, and the "seagulls" there eat most anything  ;)) and got rave reviews anyway  ;D

They certainly are fun to do, and I can see that it would be addictive playing around with them!

By the way maddie - where do you get your coloured candy coating from?  I cant seem to find it in the supermarkets here .......
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:20:40 pm by KJH »
Karen in Adelaide

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2011, 11:00:37 pm »

By the way maddie - where do you get your coloured candy coating from?  I cant seem to find it in the supermarkets here .......

They don't stock them.  You'll find them at cake decorating stores/supplies, and I know spotlight sell them too.
Your best to look online for them, as I have found them to be cheaper that way.
You can also just colour white choc melts with powdered candy(chocolate) oil based powdered colourants.
.........EAT CAKE!