Author Topic: Experimenting with Bread  (Read 60605 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Experimenting with Bread
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 02:54:09 pm »
How long do you bake yours cookie? Mine was in for 40 minutes, but maybe it did need longer....

I haven't had a chance to try again today, but will have a go after work tomorrow if I get some time to myself.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 08:30:20 am »
I bake mine for about 30 minutes. Very often things cook quickly in my oven though. I let it rise for anything up to an hour too, and knead for 3-3 1/2 minutes.
I suppose we all fiddle with something we like the taste of until we get it suited to exactly what we want.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 08:59:30 am »
I've made another 5 seed loaf with only 450g water this time. Still too heavy for my liking. Will reduce to 400g next time.
It toasts really well and tastes delicious, but isn't a light bread the same as the breakmaker does.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 10:11:21 am »
Looking better in the pics - keep going and when you have it just right they'll change the flour !!!  ;) :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Experimenting with Bread - nearly there!
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 04:33:05 pm »
LOL! That's probably right!

I made another one with a recipe my TMX agent gave me and changed it a little by 'sponging' the yeast - really nice light white bread!!

Elsie's TMX White Bread

300 mls warm water
520 gms bread making flour or bread mix
>1 tablespoon yeast
20 mls oil
1/4 tsp Vitamin C powder (I used bread improver + 1/4 tsp tartaric acid)
1 tsp sugar
1tsp salt

Mix yeast and a little water with the sugar. Leave until fluffy - about half an hour.
Add with the rest of the ingredients and follow normal breadmaking instructions. I rose it once in a greased bowl, then again in the bread tin until it reached the top of the tin. Baked for 30 minutes at FF 190 degrees.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:32:11 am by meganjane »
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 02:28:09 am »
Looks great MJ maybe you could post the recipe in the bread section :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 06:21:59 am »
I sure will - as soon as I've perfected it!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 06:25:51 am »
It looks pretty perfect to me just as it is MJ ??? ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 06:34:20 am »
It really looks lovely.

I've just done another lot of 5 seed bread and decided after letting it rise I would simply put the oven on and cook it that way, instead of taking it out, letting the oven rise to temperature, and then putting it back in. I'm quite disappointed with the result. It seems the yeast was killed off early and it didn't rise that little bit it usually does when baking. :'(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 06:42:04 am »
Lovely looking loaf MJ

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 06:52:07 am »
I thought I had posted this but it isn't there so I couldn't have clicked hard enough ???

I have mine doing its second rising at the moment (in the widow ledge of the main bedroom which gets the full afternoon sun) and if it turns out half as good as your picture MJ I will be extremely pleased. Takes quite a while to get this one in the oven with the hour for the frothy of the yeast, an hour for the first rising and however long it takes for the dough to rise to the top of the bread tin - maybe another hour?  That's the only thing I don't like about breadmaking - the time it takes to produce a loaf.  If this one works out, I'll definitely be making 2 next time.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 07:03:54 am »

I have mine doing its second rising at the moment (in the widow ledge of the main bedroom which gets the full afternoon sun) and if it turns out half as good as your picture MJ I will be extremely pleased. Takes quite a while to get this one in the oven with the hour for the frothy of the yeast, an hour for the first rising and however long it takes for the dough to rise to the top of the bread tin - maybe another hour?  That's the only thing I don't like about breadmaking - the time it takes to produce a loaf.  If this one works out, I'll definitely be making 2 next time.

Maybe it is the climate up here it seem my first rising is about 1/2 hour and maybe 20 minute for the second if I don't put it into a cold oven. The only bread that takes longer is a Ciabatta because I make the "sponge" the night before. The Buttermilk loaf  I made here took only an hour from go to whoa. http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=486.30

I have been lucky I guess that it is always hot here.

Gretchen

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 07:09:42 am »
Summer will certainly be easier down here too Gretchen.  Might have to cook the bread outside in the gas weber then though as I hate heating my kitchen up by using the oven when it is stinking hot. Second rise only took 1/2 hour so I got caught out and didn't have the oven ready to go, did I :P :P

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 07:25:11 am »
I have made focaccia and pizza in my gas Weber. Might try bread just for fun. Good idea Judy.

Gretchen

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 08:21:05 am »
My loaf wasn't as light as yours MJ, certainly didn't look as high either.  I think it could have had another 5 minutes or so in the oven as it was a little bit doughy but it is very nice, just not like a loaf of shop-bought bread.  What size tin did you use? Mine is 10cm wide at the base, 7cm deep and 24cm long and the cooked loaf was only 8cm high.  Am I ever going to get this bread-making right :'( :'( :'(

Just checked out your recipe again and realised I didn't add the bread improver and tartaric acid (didn't have any) so do you think this made any difference?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:25:33 am by judydawn »