Author Topic: Eating out of pantry and freezer  (Read 57545 times)

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
Re: Eating out of pantry and freezer
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 04:45:30 am »
Last night we had quirky Jo's chicken and brown rice soup, chicken was looking a bit freezer burnt, only been in the freezer since last October. It tasted delish. Tonight we are having a freezer meal, slow cooked beef recipe that Michelle posted a little while ago.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 05:17:56 am »
We are eating out the fridge. Chicken veloute for kids and Indian leftovers for me.

mcmich

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 06:28:07 am »
I'm having stuffed zucchini, using a tin of lentils from the pantry. I have several tins of lentils as I use dried lentils more than cans these days. Also whizzed up some bread crumbs from 2 day old bread. Although they have ended up in the freezer  ??? Better than throwing the bread out.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 06:51:38 am »
We are having a 'leftover medley' tonight! :)
I have enough of 3x different meats in gravy for 2 people each, so heating them all tonight and will be right for the 6 of us!
2 will have lamb, 2 chicken & 2 beef.  :D
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 06:55:49 am »
Astarra, how do you get your Daughters to eat what you eat, without separate meals.

I wish my kids were as good as your with trying foods.. :) :) :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 07:12:03 am »
They have never had any other option, Robyn.  :)
Even my baby who is now 10mths has the same meals as the rest of us, just cut up or mashed.  :)
The only time they get something different is when something has dairy as miss4 is intolerant....but I just generally make our meals DF to accommodate it.  :)
:D

Offline Augusta

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 07:28:54 am »
My DH and myself are having chicken and basil pesto pasta with garlic bread. Cooked Chicken breast,( left over from another meal) pesto and bread from freezer, pasta and carnation milk from pantry. Find myself going out of my way to check what I have in freezer since this thread started.

mcmich

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 07:31:12 am »
That's the way to go Astarra.   :D
My children were offered one option from day 0. As adults there is very little they don't eat. Offal would be the thing they don't choose - probably because it wasn't on the menu at our table.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:34:29 am by mcmich »

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 08:05:10 am »
I only cook cp. Different meal when we have hot chilli or curries. Left overs is dig in for  whatever dishes on the table.

Today I made a mash potato & bacon bake, all done just needs to go in the oven. Found some bacon in the freezer & had a pot of sour cream that expires in a few days.

Very happy, its a good feeling :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 08:54:58 am »
I refuse to cook more than one meal. I barely get the meal on the table as it is. If they don't eat it they go hungry.

mcmich

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 09:17:58 am »
INAID, I doubt that your children ever go hungry. I've seen your meals and pics of the children digging in.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:02 am »
I think when my kids were little that I did not give a thought to what children ate. It never occurred to me that children ate different things..  I just did what my mother did. From crumbed  brains to bum burning chilli I never heard a complaint. They both grew up to eat anything they were offered. I really cannot remember either rejecting anything or even saying they did not like something. Maybe we were weird but possibly meals were such that nobody noticed what they were eating. Or  maybe the food was not as important as the conversation. Don't know but it seems by reading things here that if is a mine field and a real pain in the butt these days just to feed a family. Also I was a mean mother as we NEVER had dessert. That was something special you had when eating in a restaurant or at a friend's house. Someone with a lovely mummy who made cakes! Ok they did be crappy  ice cream occasionally. 

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 10:23:39 am »
Gert, my DS eats ice cream, DD hardly ever :)  loves milkshakes
but they don't like curries, or a savory mince

I am tired of nuggets, fish fingers, pasta sauce...

DD eat most things, DS is harder to  please. >:(
I wish they would eat what we eat
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Eating out of pantry and freezer
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 11:33:47 am »
INAID, I doubt that your children ever go hungry. I've seen your meals and pics of the children digging in.

Lol they both like to eat. But Littlest has been telling me she is full every night for the past three nights. Power struggle? I never make a big fuss about it. Just put her dinner away. There is nothing else. Dessert can be a banana Gert. I tried using up the Easter eggs crushing a few and making a weak hot chocolate. DS just wanted more milk lol DD didn't get any. Looks like I'll have to eat them or rebadge them in a dessert for DH. If he ever comes home.

Robyn there is only one way to get them to eat what you eat... Don't give them any other alternative.

I've also heard that baby led weaning helps right from go. But honestly as soon as they could eat they were eating what we were.

mcmich

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 11:41:40 am »
I don't know how we ended with so much Easter Chocolate  ??? I will take it in to work - like us nurses need more chocolate :-X